Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€890 pcm for a garden flat in Drimnagh!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the boom isnt back, this is worse than the boom! €890 for this?! In Drimnagh in Dublin?! Christ London is meant to be expensive, one is a world city with worldclass transport, architecture, culture, museums, theatre, shopping etc. T
    he other doesnt have a transport network and the joke that is temple bar and the guinness factory, are probably our biggest tourist attractions...

article below!

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/the-housing-market-is-only-going-to-get-worse-the-time-i-viewed-a-1k-onebed-garden-flat-in-dublin-35083812.html

€990 pm as they require €100 for utilities. I'm sure they are claiming rent a room relief too. Doesn't meet minimum standards or rent a room criteria for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Is it possible to get planning permission for a flat like this in a back garden? Housing crisis sorted!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

There's a thread in after hours about funny houses/ flats to rent . It used to be funny, now with such a shortage it's just depressing because People are renting these out....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

TOEJOE wrote: »
    Is it possible to get planning permission for a flat like this in a back garden? Housing crisis sorted!!!!!!!

No. it is a breach of at least 2 planning conditions.
    That is a garden shed, nothing more. You are not allowed to habitats the shed.

If someone was to report this to Planning enforcement, it would be swiftly enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The agent showing this flat should have their licence revoked (well if such a thing exists, I doubt it does).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

kceire wrote: »

If someone was to report this to Planning enforcement, it would be swiftly enforced.

I guess the Planning Dept. don't read the Independent.

martinn123 wrote: »
    I guess the Planning Dept. don't read the Independent.

The planning department cannot act on it. Only Planning Enforcement section can act on breaches of the planning legislation. And they can only act when they receive a complaint in writing/email/fax etc

It's the same over on facebook. People giving out about it but when you mention it to them to report it they say agh no. Then what's the point of complaining about it if your not prepared to report it.

Lux23 wrote: »
    The agent showing this flat should have their licence revoked (well if such a thing exists, I doubt it does).

It's not up to the agent to ensure the unit is planning compliant or up to the required standard. That's the home owners responibility.

The planning department cannot act on it. Only Planning Enforcement section can act on breaches of the planning legislation. And they can only act when they receive a complaint in writing/email/fax etc

It's the same over on facebook. People giving out about it but when you mention it to them to report it they say agh no. Then what's the point of complaining about it if your not prepared to report it.

Therin lies the problem, with the way the system works

It's been reported in a newspaper, with photo's, and a link to the Estate Agents advert, no doubt, but unless some official, in the correct office receives a complaint, in writing, nothing will be done.
    Probably the same with Revenue, let's all assume this guy is making the correct tax returns, sure if not, so what.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's not up to the agent to ensure the unit is planning compliant or up to the required standard. That's the home owners responibility.

I think any agent with an ounce of common sense should understand that showing a kip like this would be very damaging to their reputation.

If the agent showing this place was asked if it was up to code, how do you think they would answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Is this removed from Daft? I cant see it under the flats for rent in Drimnagh. I was going to email the agent to complain. How can a garden shed be habitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

loup wrote: »
    Is this removed from Daft? I cant see it under the flats for rent in Drimnagh. I was going to email the agent to complain. How can a garden shed be habitable?

Was took down. It was here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.daft.ie/dublin/flats-for-rent/drimnagh/91-kilworth-road-drimnagh-dublin-1677625/

Therin lies the problem, with the way the system works

It's been reported in a newspaper, with photo's, and a link to the Estate Agents advert, no doubt, but unless some official, in the correct office receives a complaint, in writing, nothing will be done.
    Probably the same with Revenue, let's all assume this guy is making the correct tax returns, sure if not, so what.

Why don't you make the complaint?
    No point morning about it?

And it's for a very good reason that planning enforcement and the planning department act separately. Can you imagine the conflict of interest of a enforcement officer arguing that you need planning, and then when you lodge planning, that same officer gets to decide on whether you get planning or not....

No way should the system be altered. It works perfectly as it is tbh
    Can't blame the system for people's laziness of not reporting the issue.

Why don't you make the complaint?
    No point morning about it?

No way should the system be altered. It works perfectly as it is tbh
    Can't blame the system for people's laziness of not reporting the issue.

My complaint is with the system, not this particular shed in Drimnagh.

So the system '' works perfectly'' I don't think so, if officials are prepared to ignore evidence such as this article, and sit on their hands until a complaint is lodged
    And it's for a very good reason that planning enforcement and the planning department act separately. Can you imagine the conflict of interest of a enforcement officer arguing that you need planning, and then when you lodge planning, that same officer gets to decide on whether you get planning or not....

My sincere apologies, in my post I used the phrase Planning Dept. and not Planning Enforcement, a grave mistake on my part :) ( are they is the same building )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think any agent with an ounce of common sense should understand that showing a kip like this would be very damaging to their reputation.

+1

you would have to seriously question the professional standards of any letting agent that agreed to put a garden shed on their books.

I know it's not the agents job to double check planning but the scope for reputational damage should be more than enough to make most agents walk away.

My complaint is with the system, not this particular shed in Drimnagh.

So the system '' works perfectly'' I don't think so, if officials are prepared to ignore evidence such as this article, and sit on their hands until a complaint is lodged

My sincere apologies, in my post I used the phrase Planning Dept. and not Planning Enforcement, a grave mistake on my part :) ( are they is the same building )

No point not picking at a system that works.
    You think we should be paying for inspectors to drive the streets all day long looking for planning irregularities?

How would you have the system work?
    How many staff do you think you would need?

No point not picking at a system that works.
    You think we should be paying for inspectors to drive the streets all day long looking for planning irregularities?

Not suggesting that at all
    How would you have the system work?
    How many staff do you think you would need?

In this case one, to follow up on what is pretty irrefutable evidence of a breach of regulations, together with supporting evidence by way of photographs, and the words of the reporter.
    Rather that sit around waiting for a complaint.

As a general comment as opposed to this one in particular, is reporting things for planning etc really a great thing to be doing in the current climate as every place that gets reported presumably goes off the market thus further reducing the number of available places to live for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Thread title should be changed to "garden shed" rather than "garden flat".
    combines Kitchen/Living/Bedroom Area with Shower Room.

Grim, just grim. And very sad that some poor schmuck will end up paying nearly 1k a month for it.

As a general comment as opposed to this one in particular, is reporting things for planning etc really a great thing to be doing in the current climate as every place that gets reported presumably goes off the market thus further reducing the number of available places to live for people.

I can see your point but I'm not convinced overlooking the conversion of garden sheds to residential accommodation is the right solution to the current housing supply issues.

• Advertisement

Not suggesting that at all

In this case one, to follow up on what is pretty irrefutable evidence of a breach of regulations, together with supporting evidence by way of photographs, and the words of the reporter.
    Rather that sit around waiting for a complaint.

I don't think anyone would be sitting around. Plan Enf section would be flat out busy and you've got to remember they don't have access to facebook, independent news site or boards.ie.

In this case, it's a garden shed. My opinion is that it should be took off the market.

Its not an available place for someone to live though. Its a garden shed. It is not a habitable property.

It is not a habitable property.

How so? Its not ideal (far from it) and its a crazy price but if it was up at 400 euro a month I don't think it would have gotten any attention at all. At least its newly done up, I've seen houses in much worse condition. The lack of a proper cooker is an issue alright in fairness.

I wouldn't live in it but I'm sure there are worse places (that are meeting planning conditions) out there to live.

How so? Its not ideal (far from it) and its a crazy price but if it was up at 400 euro a month I don't think it would have gotten any attention at all. At least its newly done up, I've seen houses in much worse condition. The lack of a proper cooker is an issue alright in fairness.

I wouldn't live in it but I'm sure there are worse places (that are meeting planning conditions) out there to live.

If you cant see why a garden shed isnt a habitable property I havent really got any way to explain to you why it isnt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I think we're all getting a bit up ourselves here, a lot of people homeless at the moment would be delighted to live in such a place. It looks clean, dry and warm. NOT worth a €1000 a month granted but it's no dump.

pilly wrote: »
    I think we're all getting a bit up ourselves here, a lot of people homeless at the moment would be delighted to live in such a place. It looks clean, dry and warm. NOT worth a €1000 a month granted but it's no dump.

Its a shed. How is it going to stand up to weather and habitation?

If a homeless person wanted to shelter in it temporarily for free Id have no problem, but I would still consider them homeless and in need of housing.

The context here is it is being offered for almost 1k a month - not as a free homeless shelter.

My car is clean, dry and warm, but its not a habitable solution to anything.

pilly wrote: »

Where do you draw the line at which planning laws we should ignore?

What happens when the house next door to you is converted into bedsits and 6 garden sheds apartments appear in the back garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Graham wrote: »
    Where do you draw the line at which planning laws we should ignore?

What happens when the house next door to you is converted into bedsits and 6 garden sheds apartments appear in the back garden?

I know several other places in the D12 area where what you described has happened.

There is a company called Gardenrooms.ie that put in what look like garden sheds but are much bigger, fully insulated etc. and I've seen some used as granny flats.

I'm merely saying, as another poster has mentioned I've seen an awful lot worse places to live that would meet the description of studio flat, filthy, horrible, dark smelly places. I would prefer this shed to one of them.

• Advertisement

It's not strictly a "shed" either, it is concrete built with two good quality windows and a big door on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement