Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€890 pcm for a garden flat in Drimnagh!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

I was looking at the new houses in Hansfield Wood and they still have the air vent holes to outside in almost every room in the house. You can see the outside clearly through the white vents...that doesn't seem very air tight to me.
    kceire wrote: »
    Our building regulations allow for minimum compliance and then it's up to the home owner to how far they want to go. Background ventilation in rooms is still a requirement under technical guidance document part F and it's up to you how you achieve the required air changes be that with 100mm holes in the walls (which will obviously reduce your air tightness result) or have no holes but pay for an expensive mechanical heat recovery system that brings in and out the new air.

Ventilation method has no effect on air tightness result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

On a relevant side note to this issue..we Irish people don't complain enough...I don't mean moan online .. I mean officially complain..email ring write re whatever is causing issue...otherwise it may not get sorted...
    It's a bit like arriving at pedestrian lights in a hurry and waiting and moaning lights don't change...but have you pressed the button? Maybe noone else has either....
    A shed for 1k a month....country is gone mad...hope that agent is struck off..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Ventilation method has no effect on air tightness result!

Actually yeah. Sure the vents are blocked up during the test iirc

Zipppy wrote: »
    On a relevant side note to this issue..we Irish people don't complain enough...I don't mean moan online .. I mean officially complain..email ring write re whatever is causing issue...otherwise it may not get sorted...
    It's a bit like arriving at pedestrian lights in a hurry and waiting and moaning lights don't change...but have you pressed the button? Maybe noone else has either....
    A shed for 1k a month....country is gone mad...hope that agent is struck off..

I get what your saying and it was what I was posting the other day. But it turns out that someone did complain on the 18th September, long before this thread was even started!

I know there are restrictions about that, but in the case of our road, the gardens are very long, about 80 feet, BEFORE reaching the garage and back gate! So, even with a kitchen extension off the main house for example, there would be more than enough space for a family garden and a strip fenced off at the "granny apartment" for their own use.

Planning Permission has NEVER been granted for a habitable space by either knocking and rebuilding, or converting the garages. Many have tried. Baffles me.

No problem getting planning for a playroom, office, or workshop type of conversion, but it cannot be lived in.

What about all these la di da "mews developments" in the D4/6 areas. No problems there it seems in building at the bottom of your garden. Ha ha.

Did many of the people who applied and failed to get planning for a habitable structure go back and get it for another type of structure but actually make a granny flat anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Response from DCC Planning Enforcement :

'Inspection revealed that there is no evidence to suggest that the structure constructed at the rear is in use as a residential unit as all the items contained therein are consistent with a home office use' and 'use of this structure as a home office can be considered an acceptable use of a domestic shed'.

Response from DCC Planning Enforcement :

'Inspection revealed that there is no evidence to suggest that the structure constructed at the rear is in use as a residential unit as all the items contained therein are consistent with a home office use' and 'use of this structure as a home office can be considered an acceptable use of a domestic shed'.

The "shed" was cleared out after the heat that surrounded the ad and the enforcement letter they received would be my guess ;)

Just keep an eye out to see if it reappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Actually yeah. Sure the vents are blocked up during the test iirc

interesting.

Genuine question here.

Why aim for airtightness if you have vents in every room?

I would have thought that aspirtation went hand in hand with mechanical ventilation and heat recovery?

Is it just for ticking a box on Ber assesments?

interesting.

Genuine question here.

Why aim for airtightness if you have vents in every room?

I would have thought that aspirtation went hand in hand with mechanical ventilation and heat recovery?

Is it just for ticking a box on Ber assesments?

My opinion is that it's financially motivated. Air tightness is primarily to stop the infiltration of cold air.
    The people that have the funds for a low AT figure, have the money for the mechanical systems and thus reducing their air change rates to 3-4.

The people that are just about meeting the budget for a new build will go for the minimum requirement (7 air changes) and that can be achieved without the mechanic systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I was looking at the new houses in Hansfield Wood and they still have the air vent holes to outside in almost every room in the house. You can see the outside clearly through the white vents...that doesn't seem very air tight to me.

Gas/solid fuel heating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

My opinion is that it's financially motivated. Air tightness is primarily to stop the infiltration of cold air.
    The people that have the funds for a low AT figure, have the money for the mechanical systems and thus reducing their air change rates to 3-4.

The people that are just about meeting the budget for a new build will go for the minimum requirement (7 air changes) and that can be achieved without the mechanic systems.

No expert here, but I got the whole triple glazing, insulated to fnck thing done on my old house but then wondered about the hole in the wall they knocked beside the triple glazed window. Gas heating and gas fire. I presumed it was because of that.

Technical reason?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement