Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Help - game only on US PSN store...how do I buy?

Options
  • 28-09-2016 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I don't use my PS3 much, so I don't be on these forums a lot.
    I'm sure it has been discussed and answered before, so apologies for that.

Basically I want to buy Persona 4. Apparently it's only on the US PSN store.
    My PSN account is EU(Irish)...I'm nearly sure, but living in Korea (not even sure there's a Korean PSN).

Anyways, how do I go about buying the game in the easiest way possible ?

Can I just use a proxy, change my PC location to US and buy it through the US store that way ? or will it conflict with my current PSN account as it's EU. Or does that even matter...PS3 isn't region locked is it...

Do I need to make a new US account with a US address ? (I'd rather not have to do this)

Cheers for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

Hi, you basically need to make a new US account (with some US address) and get a US PSN scratch card (or a code from it) to top up your wallet (credit cards from outside US are not accepted), and then get the game. Once you download it to your PS3 other users will be able to play it too as long as the account that purchased the game exists on that PS3. I got Xenogears that way. The US PSN's game selection for PS1 and PS2 is much better than the EU one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

So I have to tie all US games to a seperate account .
    But your saying my main account can play the games anyways...as long as their on the system. I guess that's not too bad.
    Just have to get scratchcards and a us address now.

PS1 classics don't work with my TV for some reason(bought FF7 and FF8)...PS2 ones seem to work ok though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SeantheMan wrote: »
    So I have to tie all US games to a seperate account .
    But your saying my main account can play the games anyways...as long as their on the system. I guess that's not too bad.
    Just have to get scratchcards and a us address now.

PS1 classics don't work with my TV for some reason(bought FF7 and FF8)...PS2 ones seem to work ok though.

Are they PS1 classics bought from the EU store? If so your TV might be having trouble with the 50 Hz refresh rate of PAL games. US games might work since they play in 60 Hz. Honestly you should only be playing the US versions of these games, PAL games are horribly gimped with squashed graphics and running 10 FPS slower which adds a large amount of lag as well as making those games feel like you are playing them in treacle.

If you need a US address then make one up and get a US postcode, easy enough to find. Some people use the White houses address. I used one from one of the states with 0% sales tax, Nintendo started added sales tax on for states with sales tax, not sure about Sony. You can get the US PSN codes from amazon.com, just get the digital codes, they are emailed to you directly and it's the cheapest place to buy them. Playasia sell them as well but they are a little more expensive than cost.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Are they PS1 classics bought from the EU store? If so your TV might be having trouble with the 50 Hz refresh rate of PAL games. US games might work since they play in 60 Hz. Honestly you should only be playing the US versions of these games, PAL games are horribly gimped with squashed graphics and running 10 FPS slower which adds a large amount of lag as well as making those games feel like you are playing them in treacle.
    They were all off the EU store yeah. I'm nearly sure one of them worked when I tried it back in Ireland when I was home on holiday.
    If you need a US address then make one up and get a US postcode, easy enough to find. Some people use the White houses address.
    I dropped a pin onto google maps and used someones house address :P
    You can get the US PSN codes from amazon.com, just get the digital codes, they are emailed to you directly and it's the cheapest place to buy them.
    I just used cardcodes.com, I'd used them before, I dunno if they're cheaper or more expensive, but works for me.

Cheers for the reply. I hope this game is worth all the hassle...people go on and on about it.
    Also the 'Easy Allies' always talk about it, which has me willing to try it.

I still have $10 left over on that US account, so if anyone has any 'Must Buy/Play' ideas to spend that money on, please let me know. Otherwise I'll prob end up buying FF something again, even though I have them all on PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Easy Allies, can't stand them but then I never liked the game trailers crew either. However they're on the money about Persona 4. It's easily up there with Dark souls as my favourite game of the last 10 years. It can be tough though, just remember for the first real boss blocking negates elemental weaknesses!

You are better off getting Persona 4 from the US store anyway, it runs in 60 hz which makes a big difference to the speed of the game, the European one runs in 50 hertz despite the fact that in 2007 when it came out everyone was offering 60 hz games.

If you are in Korea the 50 hz issue is definitely the problem, their TVs never had to support PAL content. No great loss, 50 hz is absolute poison.

Btw there's an updated version of Persona 4 on vita which is probably a better way to play it if you have one.

• Advertisement

Easy Allies, can't stand them but then I never liked the game trailers crew either. However they're on the money about Persona 4. It's easily up there with Dark souls as my favourite game of the last 10 years. It can be tough though, just remember for the first real boss blocking negates elemental weaknesses!

You are better off getting Persona 4 from the US store anyway, it runs in 60 hz which makes a big difference to the speed of the game, the European one runs in 50 hertz despite the fact that in 2007 when it came out everyone was offering 60 hz games.

If you are in Korea the 50 hz issue is definitely the problem, their TVs never had to support PAL content. No great loss, 50 hz is absolute poison.

Btw there's an updated version of Persona 4 on vita which is probably a better way to play it if you have one.

Got the game yesterday and played the first 30 mins, just be a press X simulator till now. I'll continue it when I get home from work.

I never paid attention to the podcasts or shows on gametrailers, but the Easy Allies themselves doing their own thing are very good. I like the format of their podcasts and especially enjoy the enthusiasm and their loves of games...especially with the likes of Huber Hype.

Brandon plays Pokemon was amazing, he never played a Pokemon game, then would come on once a week and recollect his adventures...bumping into new pokemon or Gym trainers. He was only allowed to reach a certain point each week.
    It was like reliving playing through the game for the first time again....but through the eyes of someone else. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

Persona 4 starts up quite slowly, but pick ups later on. You just need to sit through the beginning.

Yeah Persona 4 has a notoriously lengthy opening. Once you get past that though it really opens up.

Advertisement