Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord problems

Options
  • 28-09-2016 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I couldn't find somewhere to post this properly but its in Limerick so seemed most fitting.
    Weve been living in an apartment in Limerick since May and have paid our rent every month so far but there are a number of issues with the apartment that have been wrong with the apartment since before we moved in that A) should have been fixed before we moved in and B) are being completely ignored. I don't know our landlord apart from his name when I pay the rent into his account every month as he uses an agent to deal with the apartment. This agent has an office in town and does absolutely nothing. For months weve been asking him to get a massive crack in the window fixed and still nothing. We send texts & emails that get no replys. Phone calls get no answers and when we call to the office we get some excuse followed by Ill call in the morning and he never does. Aside from the crack in the window, the shower is broken along with the dishwasher. Neither of which have worked properly from our first use. Weve already had to fix the plumbing in the kitchen ourselves because the whole thing was blocked and needed new pipes. To make matters worse when we looked at the pipes some of them were being held together with duct tape. We fixed the issue ourselves because we weren't getting answers for other issues anyway and it needed to be done asap. Aside from those there were numerous little bits and pieces broken before we moved in.

I don't know what to do. Don't know if not paying the rent at the end of the month will get their attention. Don't have the money to get anything legal involved. Has anyone had similar problems or know of anything we can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There's an Accommodation and Property forum here, and posters there would probably be quite informed as to what exactly your rights are and the agent and landlord's obligaitons are.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

Continue to pay your rent because you could be evicted if you don't. Lodge a complaint with the PRTB re all the faults. Keep a record of all contact between yourself and the agent. Mediation is free and should sort everything out. If the agents/landlord doesn't comply then it can go to tribunal where they could be fined heavily

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

I would get the work done yourself and deduct it from the rent you pay at the end of the month. He can't just turf you out. He'll have to go to the PRTB and if and when you have to present your case, I would be very surprised if they found in the landlord's favour. The landlord has an obligation to ensure the dwelling is fit for residential purposes and if he's failing to do so and taking rent off you, he's breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Know your rights and both the landlord and agents rights have a good read through this site...

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/dealing-with-problems-during-your-tenancy/standards-and-repairs/

wigsa100 wrote: »
    I would get the work done yourself and deduct it from the rent you pay at the end of the month.

No, don't do that UNLESS you warn him first. Let him know that if he doesnt get it fixed within, say, two weeks you will get in done yourself and deduct it from the rent.

I think you will find that thet will shake them up. Do this in writing (email) and keep copies in case they object later and you have to go to the PRTB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Resorting to self help is a very bad idea when you've been sitting around looking at it since May. While yellow cards would abound, in a situation where it is a dire emergency fair enough; needs must. An example would be a mother and baby in an apartment with no other option and the temperature dipping below zero. No one is going to look at that and say it was someone trying to play the system. There is a dispute resolution mechanism, notwithstanding all it's faults, use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ZionandGaz

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I'll lodge a complaint with PRTB and see what happens.

Advertisement