Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jam fridge life?

Options
  • 28-09-2016 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

How long would an open jar of jam keep for in the fridge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A long, long time.
    If it's not mouldy, it's fine.
    If it has some mould, I'd just spoon it off but I wouldn't advise others to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agree, it's not something I've ever even considered as a problem. Basically it'll last as long as it takes to use it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

So long as there's no mould on it, it's ok. I have stopped keeping jam in the fridge though - I prefer home made or small producer made jams/marmalades & I find the sugar crystallises in them in the fridge, so I'm back to keeping them in the cupboard. Again, I use them as long as there's no mould. I didn't notice the crystallisation as much with the highly processed jams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: OP - if you mean from a food safety point of view, you'll have to make your own call on it because food safety isn't permitted in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why jams etc have best before dates is beyond me, if it doesn't eat you its fine imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement