Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council housing

Options
  • 28-09-2016 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, following a marriage break up, I need to find somewhere long term to live. I've been staying with a friend for the past 10 months since it happened, but circumstances mean that I have to move. I have somewhere sorted for now, but it's far from ideal (no heating, can't brink kids there). After I have maintenance and mortgage etc paid for, I am left with €190 a week. Does anyone know would I be eligible for a council house? I see the kids 5/7 days but I need somewhere to bring them, as more often than not I'm driving around trying to keep them occupied. Any houses to rent are way out of my budget, so what options are open to me? Any more info that needs to be provided, just let me know. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Your eligibility will be based on two main things - your net income and whether or not you own property.

The maximum income thresholds vary depending on where you live from €35k per annum in Cork City, Dublin City and its commuter counties to €25k in more rural counties. It takes into account your total income, not disposable income or not what money is available to you for your housing.

You mentioned mortgage in your post. I'm assuming you're still paying a proportion of the mortgage on the family home. If you still legally own half this house then that's very likely to prevent you from going on a local authority housing list.

The best thing you can do at this stage would be to ring your local authority and see what they advise you. Also, it's worth bearing in mind that the waiting lists are incredibly long no matter where you live, however depending on your circumstances, if you're on the list you may then be eligible for rent supplement or housing assistance payment. If you do qualify for these, that's much more likely to be a solution for you in the short term than actually being allocated a house. Do contact the local authority though as they'd be best placed to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

So you are paying part of a mortgage for the wife plus 2 kids,
    therefore you have 50 per cent interest in a house .
    So in theory say in 10 years the loan could be paid off ,
    And you could sell the house and maybe buy
    another house and maybe a 1bed apartment for your self , from the proceeds .
    Depending on the house value in 10 years.
    ie you own 50 per cent of the house in theory.
    AS far as the council is concerned the children lives live in house 1,
    there,s no way they,ll give you a house so they can stay with you for maybe 2 days .

re Rent allowance ,that depends purely on your income ,
    if you can afford to pay say 40 per cent of a mortgage then you
    are probably over the income limits .
    Right now ,we are in a housing crisis ,
    it takes 8-10 years for a woman with 2 kids to get a council house.
    IF you want to check this go to threshold or crosscare advice centre.http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

You will not qualify for Rent Supplement if you are in full-time employment (30 hours or more a week In the case of couples, if one of a couple is in full time employment, both are excluded from claiming Rent Supplement). Claims from self-employed people are assessed on the individual circumstances of the case and you may be asked to show that you are working less than 30 hours a week. If you are working over 30 hours a week in emploment or self-employment or if you are getting the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance you must be deemed eligible for the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) by your local authority to continue to get Rent Supplement

i heard of a woman who left her husband ,
    he is living in the family home ,paying the mortgage.

She rents a house and does so using rent allowance hap scheme .
    She recieves no financial support from the husband at all .
    But that is a different situation.

IT sounds like a catch 22 , if you earn enough to pay the loan,
    you will probably be earning over the limit for rent allowance,
    even if you could get a council house you could be waiting on the housing list for 8 years
    plus.

To even apply for rent allowance you first go to the local authority housing dept,
    fill in a form, apply to be on the housing list,
    eg you need to be on the housing list to get rent allowance.

go to crosscare get advice.
    It sounds like you are paying most of the bills ,
    and you are working full time 9-5

http://www.crosscare.ie/index.php/services

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Theoretically yes, but practically, as a single man, you'd be quicker buying your own house one brick at a time and building it yourself. They waiting list can take years for those at the top, and you won't be anywhere near the top.

Your wife and kids life in the mortgaged house,
    so if you wish to apply for rent allowance i believe you ,ll
    be treated as a single man ,who is separated from his wife .
    single men don,t usually qualify for a house unless they have a specific medical problem.My friend was told as a woman with 1 child she would
    never get a house , she was given a 2bed apartment by cluid ,a housing charity after 8 years on rent allowance.
    Basically only someone with 2 kids can get a house .
    you may be entitled to fis family income supplement ,due to your expenses ,eg you are paying rent,plus a mortgage and maintenace .
    And the limits for rent allowance vary widely from county to county,
    rural areas, , urban towns ,citys.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Considering that it takes on average 7/8 years to get a council apartment or duplex, it is a very long time and would not work. Even today with the housing crisis the average time now for council housing can be 10/15 years. It would still be unrealistic because of the time-line to get housed now.

• Advertisement

the Short term solution is to apply for rent allowance and see if you are entitled to any financial help ,which will enable you to afford more than a basic 1bed flat .

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jamesieboy15

Thanks for all the replies. I rang the council and she said that I'd be better off applying for Social Housing Support...which is basically rent support I assume. Once I earn less than €25k, which I do, I'd qualify. She said basically that I'd find a house to rent myself, say €700 per month, and they pay €560 of it and I pay the balance. Long term I'd be on the housing list but I'm guessing it will take years. Kids are under 5, so I just need somewhere to bring them and not be on the road looking for stuff to do with them when they're with me.
    There's 25 years left on the mortgage at home and I'm still paying half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Thanks for all the replies. I rang the council and she said that I'd be better off applying for Social Housing Support...which is basically rent support I assume. Once I earn less than €25k, which I do, I'd qualify. She said basically that I'd find a house to rent myself, say €700 per month, and they pay €560 of it and I pay the balance. Long term I'd be on the housing list but I'm guessing it will take years. Kids are under 5, so I just need somewhere to bring them and not be on the road looking for stuff to do with them when they're with me.
    There's 25 years left on the mortgage at home and I'm still paying half.

I'm sorry but WHY are you still paying the mortgage? I'd get some legal advice as in what your legal responsibilities are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

I'm sorry but WHY are you still paying the mortgage? I'd get some legal advice as in what your legal responsibilities are.

I'd assume it's to keep his kids in their family home but that's pure speculation

I'd have a serious look into that. Since the ex missus is living there, she should carry a larger chunk of the mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd have a serious look into that. Since the ex missus is living there, she should carry a larger chunk of the mortgage

Doesn't work like that

says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

says who?

The laws and legal system of the country. If you don't have experience or knowledge of the process, I would ask you not to give advice to the posters.

thanks for the quite arrogant answer. I'll make sure to follow your strict instructions your highness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jamesieboy15

Yes, obviously I'm paying half the mortgage to keep a roof over the kids...if I stopped, they'd be without a home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I know people who paid their ex wife's full mortgage and spousal maintenance and maintenance for the kids so paying half the mortgage isn't crazy.
    In other cases the house is sold and assets split,it really depends on the circumstances.

Advertisement