Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No love for Ubuntu

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Worztron wrote: »
    I hate Unity. Also Ubuntu/Canonical have done some dodgy things like the amazon search on by default, mir, etc.

I am grateful to Ubuntu for getting me into GNU/Linux but I've since switched to Debian and love it.

If you like Debian stable, check out SparkyLinux which is based on Debian Testing. Well worth firing up in a VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Worztron

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    If you like Debian stable, check out SparkyLinux which is based on Debian Testing. Well worth firing up in a VM.

Hi Joe. Yeah, Sparky looks good. I've tried it in the past in VB. I prefer vanilla Debian on my main PC and like Debian Stable with a selection of backports.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Joe. Yeah, Sparky looks good. I've tried it in the past in VB. I prefer vanilla Debian on my main PC and like Debian Stable with a selection of backports.

Nice. Do you ever run into any integration or stability issues when using backports? Just out of interest. I like the idea of the stability of vanilla Debian but do like to have certain software more up-to-date, LibreOffice for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Worztron

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Nice. Do you ever run into any integration or stability issues when using backports? Just out of interest. I like the idea of the stability of vanilla Debian but do like to have certain software more up-to-date, LibreOffice for example.

I've had zero issues with backports. LibreOffice is available as a backport.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement