Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full rewire Process

Options
  • 28-09-2016 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I am currently getting my new home fully rewired and certified.
    Any sparks out there give me a rough step by step of the process ?

i know every guy will do it a little differently but is there anything that has to be done first / last, etc,

does the ESB have to notified, who's responsibility is this ?

Also what is the time line for a small 3 bed terrace rewire.

Anything i need to query etc

Electrician is registered.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Much of the wiring process will depend on the type of house (timber frame / block built) and your requirements (very straight forward or lots of extras).

At a high level the process is:
    1) First fix- Chase walls (if necessary), install all cables and back boxes
    2) Second fix - Connect the distribution board, sockets, lights etc.....
    3) Testing, certification and pre connection tests
    4) Connect to ESB network
    5) Post connection tests

Your Registered Electrical Contractor make the necessary arrangements with the ESB and guide you through this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

2011 wrote: »
    Much of the wiring process will depend on the type of house (timber frame / block built) and your requirements (very straight forward or lots of extras).

At a high level the process is:
    1) First fix- Chase walls (if necessary), install all cables and back boxes
    2) Second fix - Connect the distribution board, sockets, lights etc.....
    3) Testing, certification and pre connection tests
    4) Connect to ESB network
    5) Post connection tests

Your Registered Electrical Contractor make the necessary arrangements with the ESB and guide you through this process.

thanks for the info, would a full rewire always remove all old cabling in the house ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

thanks for the info, would a full rewire always remove all old cabling in the house ?

A full rewrite would mean replacing all old wiring, however it may be make sense from a finincial perspective to reuse some of the existing wiring. This would be subject to certain criteria being met to ensure that it is fit for purpose. My advice would be to let the REC advise you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The cables in many older houses might be plastered directly into walls, so removing these might cause more damage, so they might just be disconnected at each end and remain inside the wall.

The cables in many older houses might be plastered directly into walls, so removing these might cause more damage, so they might just be disconnected at each end and remain inside the wall.

house is from the 50's and has a mix of black sticky power cable and newer grey type.

is cable dressing important in a electricans world ?

can a customer be to anal able cable runs etc..

• Advertisement

house is from the 50's and has a mix of black sticky power cable and newer grey type.

Newer PVC type cable can sometimes be salvaged, but the "black sticky" cable needs to be scrapped.
    is cable dressing important in a electricans world ?

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but I will try to answer:
    It can be, but his is normally something applies much more to industrial installations where many cables are installed on cable containment systems such as ladder, tray or basket.
    can a customer be to anal able cable runs etc..

Again your question is not very clear, but the customer is king. A good electrician should be able to meet your requirements.

2011 wrote: »
    Newer PVC type cable can sometimes be salvaged, but the "black sticky" cable needs to be scrapped.

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but I will try to answer:
    It can be, but his is normally something applies much more to industrial installations where many cables are installed on cable containment systems such as ladder, tray or basket.

Again your question is not very clear, but the customer is king. A good electrician should be able to meet your requirements.

i work in a Datacentre and spent a year running data cables and the dressing and neatness of the cables was highly important, i wanted to take this approach in the house, but i have been told that its not done in residential installs,
    so the cables are all over the place in the attic..

Thanks for your time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

i work in a Datacentre and spent a year running data cables and the dressing and neatness of the cables was highly important, i wanted to take this approach in the house, but i have been told that its not done in residential installs,
    so the cables are all over the place in the attic..

Thanks for your time

In general domestic electricians nowadays will clip the cables to the rafters. If the electrician you ask to do the job isn't willing to do it this way then get someone else to do it. If they are going to cut corners like that(literally) and not take pride in their work then you don't know where else they will take shortcuts so you're better off without them.

Advertisement