Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendation Needed

• 28-09-2016 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi All,

So I am looking for a recommendation of a good diesel car. Budget around €8000. I love ford's but I am scared for life from my last one, it gave me nothing but trouble, it was a ford focus 1.8ltr.

I was looking at the Auris's ~ they so expensive tho! Hyundai i30 and maybe a Skoda or Fiesta?

I do approx 450 miles a week for work so need something reliable and comfortable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Out of the ones you listed, I'd say the Skoda might be best, although you didn't say which Skoda, Octavia I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pippa_Pipsy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Out of the ones you listed, I'd say the Skoda might be best, although you didn't say which Skoda, Octavia I presume?
    Ya Octavia, My partner has one and they are nice to drive. I do prefer the look of the Hyundai's but I want reliability at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot imagine a Hyundai i30 diesel being any less reliable than an Octavia diesel if that is your main concern. Look at the Kia Ceed also, it's basically the same car as the i30 except for some styling.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I cannot imagine a Hyundai i30 diesel being any less reliable than an Octavia diesel if that is your main concern. Look at the Kia Ceed also, it's basically the same car as the i30 except for some styling.
    Thanks a million, will defo look at it! Going looking this weekend so hopefully something will catch my eye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I traded in my 2009 1.4 diesel Toyota Auris yesterday. It has 56,000 kms on the clock and although a bit old at 7 years it is great. I bought it new, am retired, and most of the mileage is/was easy motorway driving visiting my mother in a nursing home (perhaps 45k of the 56k).
    The dealer hasn't got it advertised yet as they must be valeting it. I'd expect it goes for something over €10k. I know from speaking to the sales exec that they have a lot of second hand cars to shift before year end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

was that the old 1.8 petrol OP?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    was that the old 1.8 petrol OP?
    It was an 09 Focus? It was the newer model. An English import. Diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd get the ceed/i30. Most of the early (pre 09) ones don't have a DPF or a dual mass flywheel which is a big plus.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd get the ceed/i30. Most of the early (pre 09) ones don't have a DPF or a dual mass flywheel which is a big plus.
    Thanks for that, My sister in law last night then said that her dad said to stay away from Hyundai! He is a mechanic. I don't know why. Its so confusing as everyone has an opinion about cars and I thought Ford's were reliable but maybe I was unlucky with that one.

Thanks for that, My sister in law last night then said that her dad said to stay away from Hyundai! He is a mechanic. I don't know why. Its so confusing as everyone has an opinion about cars and I thought Ford's were reliable but maybe I was unlucky with that one.

Maybe he is afraid he won't see you in his garage. :D

• Advertisement

Try and get more info out of him. The only negative I see with them is parts aren't that cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭happycoach

Ya Octavia, My partner has one and they are nice to drive. I do prefer the look of the Hyundai's but I want reliability at this stage

I'd go with the Octavia. Reliable and very cheap running costs.

Anyone any opinion on an 10/11 fiesta?diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ClareBear1

Great car and still looks good especially zetec or titanium model with chrome accents. I had 2010 1.4, very cheap to run. Full tank for under €40 will get you 400 motorway miles.
    Injectors are known to go in them, I had to get one replaced and it was not cheap. You could get a bad doing if you had to replace all of them.
    Small boot but doesn't feel like small car.

They replaced the 1.4 with the current 1.5 in 2012 I think. By all accounts it's a better engine then the 1.4 and 1.6 units.
    There's no getting away from the fact that the Fiesta is a size below the focus/i30 etc.

ClareBear1 wrote: »
    Great car and still looks good especially zetec or titanium model with chrome accents. I had 2010 1.4, very cheap to run. Full tank for under €40 will get you 400 motorway miles.
    Injectors are known to go in them, I had to get one replaced and it was not cheap. You could get a bad doing if you had to replace all of them.
    Small boot but doesn't feel like small car.

That's exactly what happened me. All four of the fuc***s went in injectors and now clutch is slipping. Big fan of fords and always have one but its left my mentally scared!!

Ugh what bad luck. I got fed up like yourself and have opted for a new car on PCP. At least this way you have a new car, stay within warranty and low monthly repayments. Worth looking into I reckon.

ClareBear1 wrote: »
    Ugh what bad luck. I got fed up like yourself and have opted for a new car on PCP. At least this way you have a new car, stay within warranty and low monthly repayments. Worth looking into I reckon.
    Do you mind me asking what you repay a week? Was looking at a new Auris (my mechanic recommended it) and I could trade in my car with it.

There is an entire thread here on PCP. Just be aware of the cons as well as the pros before signing up.

Exactly what bazz26 said. Pros and cons, so look up the thread. Repayments depend on a variety of factors (price of car, interest rate, mileage, where you'll be financially in 2/3 years time when contract is finished). Doesn't suit everyone but if you are like myself I think you should look into it.
    Good luck with your search.

• Advertisement
Advertisement