Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powers of a wildlife ranger to cease a Larsen Trap

• 28-09-2016 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

I heard last night at the Cavan RGC meeting that a Ranger walked into a man's garden and lifted a larsen trap without by or word. Everything was being done correct.

The Cavan lads are on the Ball with phonecalls being made to the NPWS and a letter sent to The Minister. It was stated at the meeting that all they want to know is what was being done wrong so they could fix it. They've got no response to date and now it's being looked after by NARGC.

I thought these Rangers would have a bit more cop on.

Have anyone got similiar problems.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aren't Larsen traps cruel and inhumane? - maybe that's what was being done wrong ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

vicwatson wrote:
    Aren't Larsen traps cruel and inhumane? - maybe that's what was being done wrong ??

No.....Legitimate way of controlling avian vermin once it's been done right which it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Just looking over the derogation and the use of traps is still valid up until Sept 30. Useless the wildlife ranger didn't think there was a valid reason for the trap if it was set up in the garden.
    Interesting, keep us informed.

Just for clarity a wee garden in Cavan could also be a small field adjacent to the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Clearly the Ranger was in the wrong if the incident happened as described by the witness. Rangers are a mixed bunch in my experience, some good, some useless and some ignorant of the laws they are meant to be applying. Sounds like it may be a case of the latter in this incident. It was certainly strange that the "ranger" did not speak with the property owner. Was ID shown before trap was removed?? cos there are some chancers out there who might impersonate an official of the state to further their own agenda(your average Anti for example!!)

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote:
    Clearly the Ranger was in the wrong if the incident happened as described by the witness. Rangers are a mixed bunch in my experience, some good, some useless and some ignorant of the laws they are meant to be applying. Sounds like it may be a case of the latter in this incident. It was certainly strange that the "ranger" did not speak with the property owner. Was ID shown before trap was removed?? cos there are some chancers out there who might impersonate an official of the state to further their own agenda(your average Anti for

I know of issues with lads being in trouble for shooting pigeons over stubble and not over the actual crop. To apply that approach to magpies they can only be trapped where they are actually doing the harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Could you trap one or two of them for us?[Rangers that is],and we could Re introduce them back into the wild down here.Haven't seen such a rare creature in the wilds around here for nigh on 30 years.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Clearly the Ranger was in the wrong if the incident happened as described by the witness. Rangers are a mixed bunch in my experience, some good, some useless and some ignorant of the laws they are meant to be applying. Sounds like it may be a case of the latter in this incident. It was certainly strange that the "ranger" did not speak with the property owner. Was ID shown before trap was removed?? cos there are some chancers out there who might impersonate an official of the state to further their own agenda(your average Anti for example!!)

Spot on there. I've seen the good, the bad, and the the down right ugly, with regards the NPWS.

Saying that, one things for sure a complaint was made. Could be to do with where the trap was set, welfare of the call bird, method of dispatch, or just an a**hole of a ranger showing his authority.:rolleyes:

I'd like to hear the full story to this, and the outcome for that matter.

Advertisement