Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elastic post codes and post code snobbery

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sorry just saw the mod comment. Perhaps we could split the schools related stuff to a new thread in property. Out of the postcode.

When buying and committing to a house purchase near by schools is a big consideration. Even the logistics of getting the kids to school is as important as your own commute to work

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm in south county dublin.

The house I bought is classed as Blackrock, despite it being nowhere near it (across the road is classed as Foxrock and at the end of the road is classed as Cabinteely)

I grew up literally around the corner and i would never have classed where i live now as blackrock.. but we've gotten the postmen putting stickers on the letters where the address doesnt mention blackrock saying "you're in blackrock"

Mental ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

The house I bought is classed as Blackrock, despite it being nowhere near it (across the road is classed as Foxrock and at the end of the road is classed as Cabinteely)

I grew up literally around the corner and i would never have classed where i live now as blackrock.. but we've gotten the postmen putting stickers on the letters where the address doesnt mention blackrock saying "you're in blackrock"

Mental ted

I also apparently live in Blackrock according to Eircode (I definitely don't). I think its something to do with Blackrock being a postal district. Anyone with A94 at the start of their eircode is classed as Blackrock apparently - even when it isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Mental ted

AFAIK, An Post can call an area whatever suits their operations. Addresses are often imposed on people featuring neighbouring towns or counties. It just depends on where it makes sense for them to sort and distribute from. I know of one place that was told to use "Castlerea, Co. Galway" even though the business is in Glenamaddy, Co. Galway and Castlerea is in Roscommon.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/high-court-rules-post-can-be-delivered-only-to-postal-address-28817426.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I drives me mad when the property websites can't get it correct. With myhome, I have an alert set up for Dublin 14, and I'm a wee bit disappointed when I open up the email to see something on the other side of the M50...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ongarboy wrote:
    That's a bug bear of mine alright. The amount of people who live near me inside Dublin 15 and put Clonee in their address. Clonee is a village in County Meath!!

Yes clonee Village is in Co meath but clonee has always been a lot more than a village. Clonee always stretched into Dublin. It is only now that these massive fields have been developed into housing estates that you can see they have always been in Dublin. The deeds of these homes show the correct country as Dublin. This information can't be altered on the land registry. Check out the eircode if in doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Check out the eircode if in doubt.

The eircode is not necessarily a good reference as they can be organised to suit An Post rather than by town lands and counties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ThisRegard wrote:
    The eircode is not necessarily a good reference as they can be organised to suit An Post rather than by town lands and counties etc.

Check Google maps, Tom Tom etc. They can't all be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'n not saying they are, just saying that the eircode is not a 100% foolproof method of working out where an area is within, the eircode thread in infrastructure has plenty of examples, and there's a Q&A there somewhere with the reasons as to why.

Advertisement