Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Death (Sale) of TNA ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Can't see them buying the company as a whole. They could buy just the tape library and some contracts I guess.

Maybe Jericho will buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Yep as stated Vince may just buy the library and the company can die for all he cares. TNA as a brand is less than worthless. If the PPV happens live on Sunday it may be a minor miracle. This time next week TNA wrestling likely will be out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Dont understand why there's a price tag on it at all considering the debt. It should be a choice of whether Corgan et al want the company and will accept the losses or if WWE will cover the losses.

They'll find the money from somewhere for the PPV, and then it's chaos.

The price tag on the company is based on the tape library, the roster and most importantly, the TV deals. The Sony Six India and Challenge UK deals are worth a couple million bucks a year and given the dearth of channels paying for wrestling content in 2016, those would be worthwhile to someone. Given they still don't earn enough to turn a profit and they make nothing from their US TV deal, it still wouldn't make sense to me if someone paid for the company, but the TV deals are essentially what they'd be buying.

Where WWE may step in here is identical to what happened with WCW. If no one puts the money in to keep TNA afloat and do the tapings and PPV ($600 - 800k is the number Meltzer quoted) then the company are in breach on their TV deals and Sony Six and Challenge, who may already have misgivings about the quality and ratings TNA brings in 2016, could cancel them. With no TV deals, there's no value. Vince buys the tape library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Monokne wrote: »
    The price tag on the company is based on the tape library, the roster and most importantly, the TV deals. The Sony Six India and Challenge UK deals are worth a couple million bucks a year and given the dearth of channels paying for wrestling content in 2016, those would be worthwhile to someone. Given they still don't earn enough to turn a profit and they make nothing from their US TV deal, it still wouldn't make sense to me if someone paid for the company, but the TV deals are essentially what they'd be buying.

Where WWE may step in here is identical to what happened with WCW. If no one puts the money in to keep TNA afloat and do the tapings and PPV ($600 - 800k is the number Meltzer quoted) then the company are in breach on their TV deals and Sony Six and Challenge, who may already have misgivings about the quality and ratings TNA brings in 2016, could cancel them. With no TV deals, there's no value. Vince buys the tape library.

Would the TV deals be worth anything to WWE, even if it was to show something like NXT on Sony Six and Challenge. British wrestling seems to be on the rise and WWE seems to be willing to do work with some of the smaller independent companies such as Rev Pro and Progress Wrestling. Plus they've always wanted to break into the Indian market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,300 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So if TNA is in such bad shape and if you believe meltzer is on its last legs then how does that effect Cody and Brandi Rhodes who I'm assuming have signed contracts with tna for money ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So if TNA is in such bad shape and if you believe meltzer is on its last legs then how does that effect Cody and Brandi Rhodes who I'm assuming have signed contracts with tna for money ?

the whole situation is just strange cause supposadly a lotof the wrestlers havent being paid in a couple of months eithier yet they bring them two in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

How much is TNA for sale for and how much is the debt?

Mad to think that when they had Hogan Hall Nash Angle Sting Bishoff etc they were fine and years later they are to hit the wall with 1 or 2 stars only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

that was the problem though.
    they invested so much time/money in the old fogies, and didn't make enough of an effort to try make superstars of the young guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Speaking out of pure ignorance .... would any of the Ring Ka King brand be included in the purchase of TNA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Speaking out of pure ignorance .... would any of the Ring Ka King brand be included in the purchase of TNA?

Realistically, Id say yes, but god knows to be honest. If a deal is done and if the details are made public, then and only then can you be certain of exactly what and what isn’t purchased. But by all means, anything that is owned by TNA is potentially up for grabs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

they invested so much time/money in the old fogies, and didn't make enough of an effort to try make superstars of the young guys.

Pretty sure Spike both pushed for and significantly funded a lot of the old dudes.

Russo's whole run preventing them from being able to make any use of the old guys followed by the disastrous Hogan/Bischoff run (primarily their insistance that everything was always the fault of not being live, then not being on the road, then not being live on the road...) left them dead. They've been beyond having any hope since 2011, artificially propped up for a year or two by Spike's Bellator plans.
    Hell, it was always Spike, that's the only thing that propped it up from being some kind of short term vanity project for Dixie Carter.

By the time TNA actually appeared to try and show an interest in getting some new guys over, Spike had absolutely no faith in them doing so and most of their best non-WWE talent had been beaten into complacency anyway.

Would the TV deals be worth anything to WWE, even if it was to show something like NXT on Sony Six and Challenge. British wrestling seems to be on the rise and WWE seems to be willing to do work with some of the smaller independent companies such as Rev Pro and Progress Wrestling. Plus they've always wanted to break into the Indian market.

WWE has exclusive deals so they couldn't put WWE branded programming on those channels.

Panda funded them for years. They were so far in the hole in the early years, the number that floated was $40 million. They did turn a profit in 2009 but then they brought in Hogan, Foley, Bischoff, Nash, Hall, Venis, X Pac, Nastys, Flair, Hardys etc and blew up their payroll and went back to big losses. The last big roll of the dice was in 2013 when they taped on the road, doing two shows in one night in front of crowds of 1 - 2,000 in big arenas. This cost them $650k a shot, which over the year was about $17 million. At that point, Panda stopped funding them, then Spike cancelled them and it's been a slow, painful death ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Pretty regularly we get reports of TNA at death's door. I've never seen such a resilient wrestling company -- nobody's ever survived TV cancellation (WCW, ECW) but TNA have done it twice. It's nothing short of incredible. I've no doubt they'll put another rabbit out of the hat. I won't believe they're done until Shane McMahon shows up in the iMPACT zone :pac:

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Pretty regularly we get reports of TNA at death's door. I've never seen such a resilient wrestling company -- nobody's ever survived TV cancellation (WCW, ECW) but TNA have done it twice. It's nothing short of incredible. I've no doubt they'll put another rabbit out of the hat. I won't believe they're done until Shane McMahon shows up in the iMPACT zone :pac:
    The rabbits they've pulled thus far have been "Go further into debt" and "Go further AND further into debt". Given that, they can just keep pulling them.

It has been get further into debt with people who have an interest in buying the company. No one else would dare give them a cent sure.
    One of those two groups will stump up the money for the PPV, beyond that Dixie is gonna have to make a move.

She seems like a staggeringly inept business person, doesn't she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

how many TNA guys will WWE take if they buy the company ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Haven't given the slightest toss about TNA for a long time. At a time, I could've argued they were the best company in wrestling (time when Daniels/AJ/Joe were at their finest). But know it's just cringe compatible to WWE. It's such a pity.

When a guy coming off a long as a part of 3MB is your brand new main event hope you know you are in the toilet.

With the indies booming it surely is only a matter of time before TNA is dead n buried. Why would a talent go to TNA outside of a decent payday(which is no longer on the today).

On Vince, I'd say he hadn't even thought about TNA. With WCW they were massive at many stages and no doubt WWE had one eye on the competition. I think that TNA were never at Monday Nitro levels of concern to vince et el.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    On Vince, I'd say he hadn't even thought about TNA. With WCW they were massive at many stages and no doubt WWE had one eye on the competition. I think that TNA were never at Monday Nitro levels of concern to vince et el.
    It's easy to say this and that's defiitely the narrative that is being pushed, but I think it underestimates Vince's paranoia and pettiness hugely.

There's a reason they didn't entertain signing "TNA original" talent for years and years despite some of them being f*cking great.
    There's a reason they never ever ever to this day acknowledge TNA in anything.
    There's a reason they pulled the gun on the Bret Hart return to Raw the same night Hogan debuted on Impact despite it being really several weeks too early to launch into a Wrestlemania build (as was reflected by how convoluted and ****e that build became).

Haven't given the slightest toss about TNA for a long time. At a time, I could've argued they were the best company in wrestling (time when Daniels/AJ/Joe were at their finest). But know it's just cringe compatible to WWE.

Their shows are actually really good for the most part at the moment. Brand is so damaged that it doesn't matter anyway, but wanted to point it out for balance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yeah, until I see an actual announcement from either company that a deal's been done I'm not inclined to believe anything, just because of how long TNA's been "on the way out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Haven't given the slightest toss about TNA for a long time. At a time, I could've argued they were the best company in wrestling (time when Daniels/AJ/Joe were at their finest). But know it's just cringe compatible to WWE. It's such a pity.

When a guy coming off a long as a part of 3MB is your brand new main event hope you know you are in the toilet.

With the indies booming it surely is only a matter of time before TNA is dead n buried. Why would a talent go to TNA outside of a decent payday(which is no longer on the today).

Ah to be fair their product, in the last year or so has improved. Their use of guys like EC3, Lashley, Spud, Drew Galloway and even more recently Moose and Mike and Maria has been arguably better than a lot of WWE. TNAs problem is that they pushed fans away in their droves before that with a completely mismanaged product leaving its brand image in tatters.

And while TNA has improved, a lot of the problems still exists despite the improvements. Thes a load of little problems that prevent the show retaining fans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Meltzer with the update....
    Carter is the one who is going to make the decision who gets the company and they need someone who has the ability to fund it. WWE was said to be back in the picture early in the week, but at press time, they are back out of the picture. Before there was a feeling WWE was a last ditch thing but the feeling now is Carter is going to make the best deal for her, as a WWE deal would end the company as they would only buy it for the tape library, and probably bring some of the contracted talent into WWE.

There's also the issue of the debt, which is in the millions of dollars, largely to Aroluxe and Corgan but there are other creditors as well. The belief is that WWE wouldn't assume the debt and that the company would then be closed down. John Gaburick, due to his longtime relationship with Kevin Dunn, was the one who brought the WWE into the picture.

WWE apparently wanted Dixie and Corrigan to sign non-compete contracts as well that would block either from starting up a new group for a while...

Corgan gave an interview confirming the Meltzer story. He has funded the last 3 tapings, Aroluxe funded the 2 before that. Both sides are refusing to fund BFG and the tapings next week. Therefore a deal has to be done by tomorrow night or the shows won't be taped. If they're not taped, TNA is in breach of contract with its TV and PPV partners which could well lead to cancellation. If that happens, I'd expect WWE to make an offer for the tape library.

Corgan wants to start touring and doing more events again if he does get it, as well as changing the name. I have always pulled for TNA - say what you want about it, but it's a place for guys to work and develop and it provides a lot of jobs in wrestling - but at this juncture I think it might be best if WWE just takes the library. I don't see any sense in Corgan taking over and continuing to pile the losses up, and there are not that many people who will be that badly affected financially. The better guys will probably get WWE deals, and the indie scene is doing well at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's probably time for it to go but I'll still be a bit sad when it does happen. Haven't watched more than a few weeks of it in a row in years but I've such great memories of Joe, Styles, Angle, Sting, Beer Money and MCMG and so on back in the best days of the company. They've never been able to reach those heights again even with the likes of Hogan on board and it's been all downhill since.

Really hope the closure of TNA leads to the Hardys back in WWE though, Angle too if he gets cleared by the WWE docs but I won't hold my breath on that one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If WWE would have cleared Angle, he'd have been back with them years ago....

martyos121 wrote: »
    It's probably time for it to go but I'll still be a bit sad when it does happen. Haven't watched more than a few weeks of it in a row in years but I've such great memories of Joe, Styles, Angle, Sting, Beer Money and MCMG and so on back in the best days of the company. They've never been able to reach those heights again even with the likes of Hogan on board and it's been all downhill since.

Really hope the closure of TNA leads to the Hardys back in WWE though, Angle too if he gets cleared by the WWE docs but I won't hold my breath on that one.

I really really strongly hope that once WWE gets past its insecurity stuff and a few years pass, they'll put together documentaries and collections highlighting some of TNA's better moments. The storylines have mostly been bad but there have been periods of brilliance, and tons of truly magnificent matches along the way. Personally, the first time I ever saw TNA was on vacation in September 2005. Was in Orlando with 3 close friends and we decided to check out TNA's PPV 'Unbreakable' in Universal at the Impact Zone. We were in the front row, all over the TV. The main event that night was the famous ***** Joe v AJ v Daniels match. I have been to Wrestlemania's since and still nothing holds a candle for me in terms of a match I was there for in person. Just an incredible match. Angle, Styles, and Joe in particular had so many forgotten classics in that promotion that deserve to see the light of day. Hopefully WWE shines a light on them in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Corgan needs to wake up and stop playing wrestling booker. If he wants to have a touring group, he is better off starting something new from scratch. Even if he changes the TNA name, it will be impossible in this day and age to shed the image of the company.

It's foolish to continue any further with this. Carter should honesly count her loses and let WWE take the library and absorb the debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Another thing about Vince possibly taking the library is that all of a sudden, something he ignored for years will suddenly be acknowledged as a major part of a lot of his superstars' careers.

That's another thing that makes me doubt the story. If reports were to be believed TNA has been on its last legs, days away from folding, for the past 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Monokne wrote: »
    I really really strongly hope that once WWE gets past its insecurity stuff and a few years pass, they'll put together documentaries and collections highlighting some of TNA's better moments. The storylines have mostly been bad but there have been periods of brilliance, and tons of truly magnificent matches along the way. Personally, the first time I ever saw TNA was on vacation in September 2005. Was in Orlando with 3 close friends and we decided to check out TNA's PPV 'Unbreakable' in Universal at the Impact Zone. We were in the front row, all over the TV. The main event that night was the famous ***** Joe v AJ v Daniels match. I have been to Wrestlemania's since and still nothing holds a candle for me in terms of a match I was there for in person. Just an incredible match. Angle, Styles, and Joe in particular had so many forgotten classics in that promotion that deserve to see the light of day. Hopefully WWE shines a light on them in the coming years.

You literally couldn't have attended a better TNA event that Unbreakable, you lucky fecker. Not only was the triple threat match immaculate, Raven vs Rhyno was also an instant classic in my opinion. That card was great from top to bottom (not saying every match was, but nothing was unwatchable and the good stuff was absolutely superb). Easily my favourite TNA event ever and certainly in my top 10 overall.

Anyone that hasn't seen it, please do yourself a favour and check that sh1t out! :)

Advertisement