Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Death (Sale) of TNA ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Corgan owns 15% of the company and he is the source, in a public interview, for the story. Exactly what is there to doubt?

martyos121 wrote: »
    You literally couldn't have attended a better TNA event that Unbreakable, you lucky fecker. Not only was the triple threat match immaculate, Raven vs Rhyno was also an instant classic in my opinion. That card was great from top to bottom (not saying every match was, but nothing was unwatchable and the good stuff was absolutely superb). Easily my favourite TNA event ever and certainly in my top 10 overall.

Anyone that hasn't seen it, please do yourself a favour and check that sh1t out! :)

I know, that's the wild thing. It was pure coincidence. I knew the guys from reading about them but I'd never seen Joe or AJ work and I certainly wasn't anticipating anything like that.

Funny story from the Raven - Rhyno match. Myself and my friend Neill saw Raven take a shot to the face and then drop to the floor. It was so clear he was about to gig that we both leapt to the floor to get a closer look, which we just about did. Was so funny.

Aries and Roddy had a real good match that night too, there was a good brawl with Abyss and Sabu, and Petey Williams had a fun battle with I think Sabin or Shelley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I imagine the best thing is for Dixie to file for bankruptcy, clearing the debt. WWE buys the tape library on the cheap and any talent contacts they may want to pick up. Billy gets to make a deal with POP to keep the dates for a newly named promotion with the remaining talent and start from almost scratch with his own money.

From what Ive read TNA have cancelled some talents flights for Bound for Glory to save costs, the show may be a bare bones crew if any at this stage.

TNA twitter still hyping the show as usual though.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I imagine the best thing is for Dixie to file for bankruptcy, clearing the debt. WWE buys the tape library on the cheap and any talent contacts they may want to pick up. Billy gets to make a deal with POP to keep the dates for a newly named promotion with the remaining talent and start from almost scratch with his own money.

From what Ive read TNA have cancelled some talents flights for Bound for Glory to save costs, the show may be a bare bones crew if any at this stage.

TNA twitter still hyping the show as usual though.

I would imagine if POP were in the market for a new promotion they would never have signed TNA to begin with. They were sold on the idea they may get up to a million viewers. Considering they do not pay for the show I can understand why they haven't cancelled TNA, but I would consider it unlikely that if TNA was off the station they would just pick up whatever came from the remains.

As Meltzer put it best, the whole situation is a mess. Between Aroluxe and Corgan, there's a couple million dollars owed now. WWE is not going to want to pay either. If Corgan buys out Dixie, it's unlikely he wants to pay Aroluxe. Aroluxe have walked away over the price so they're not buying anyway.

Meltzer quoted a source who absolutely buried Dixie in the Observer this week. Usually when people speak badly of her they caveat it with "but she's such a nice lady". Not this time. To be fair, she's lost $50 million dollars+ of her family's money on what has at times been a vanity project. It's nothing to be proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Corgan needs to wake up and stop playing wrestling booker. If he wants to have a touring group, he is better off starting something new from scratch. Even if he changes the TNA name, it will be impossible in this day and age to shed the image of the company.

It's foolish to continue any further with this. Carter should honesly count her loses and let WWE take the library and absorb the debt.

A damaged brand is infinitely better than no TV deal on a brand new promotion. Not to mention the set up costs involved in starting a new promotion. GFW have an entire series of shows recorded and ready to air but can't for the life of them get a TV deal. TNA is second only to WWE in terms of TV deals around the world. That's the reason Sinclair were interested despite already owning one promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

It's foolish to continue any further with this. Carter should honesly count her loses and let WWE take the library and absorb the debt.
    It seems to me that a big part of the mess is that she's unwilling to take that hit to her ego.

For the past year it's seemed like she's been holding out to be able to sell the company to someone, initially the offers were too low but she still took their money in the form of loans to keep things running, then she gave Corgan a small share of the company.
    Now it's worth less than ever and with a ton of debt it has to pay back.

Corgan's gonna cave and pay for the PPV though. In all fairness, if he's been stupid enough to give her money up to now, what's one more PPV gonna do.
    Only issue is that his stupidity is veering dangerously close to getting a load of mainstream media attention, as a guy renowned for being thin skinned, that could be enough to make him pull the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Is it resilient or is it ignorant and stupid? There was a reason they lost their deals: and the reasons aren't pretty. Also, it's not like the flourished moving on, quite the opposite time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Worth noting that Dixie's role has been drastically reduced, she got a position as "chairman" but that's for saving face, it's Corgan as President and in charge of day-to-day running. However, Dixie still has 70% of the stock and will ultimately make the decision of the sale of TNA. They need $600k to fund the coming week's shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The more I read the more I think bfg won't go ahead then WWE will pick up the scraps after that

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Per The Wrestling Observer, Dixie is throwing the monkey wrench in sale negotiations.
    There are a lot of hurdles and games being played. She has really made a mess and is responsible for all of it. I thought Aroluxe had it late last week (this was when just days earlier Billy Corgan seemed to be the one most expected to get it). Then Saturday (9/24) I thought Billy won. Now I know the same BS is still going back-and-forth. She is something else. I’ve never met someone so clueless. She is out of touch on all levels. Both sides want her out. There is no doubt there. It’s the only thing they can agree on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

martyos121 wrote: »
    Really hope the closure of TNA leads to the Hardys back in WWE though, Angle too if he gets cleared by the WWE docs but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Er.....Angle hasn't been with tna for like 6 months. They'd likely ruin the Matt Hardy character too with their reverse midas touch input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The only thing that would sadden me about TNA dying is the end of the Broken Matt stuff but most of the good stuff has been outside of Impact so hopefully it can continue in some form.

I'd really love to see WWE get Broken Matt on board, even though I'm sure they'd find a way to ruin it eventually.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I wonder if Broken Matt would even rejoin WWE? He'd be in no doubt as to what WWE would do to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Broken Matt would suffer death by sniggering commentators. I'd be pretty sure of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The only thing that would sadden me about TNA dying is the end of the Broken Matt stuff but most of the good stuff has been outside of Impact so hopefully it can continue in some form.

I'd really love to see WWE get Broken Matt on board, even though I'm sure they'd find a way to ruin it eventually.

On the main roster I don't think he'd be given as much creative freedom to do what he does plus the travel schedule would mean he's constantly on the road. NXT would probably be the only place he'd get to do what he's already doing but would he come back to WWE to work in NXT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's kind of going to make Rhodes and Sandow look silly if they were all pumped up about their TNA debuts in that, "Finally! I'm free of McMahon! Free to show me true potential!" kind of way, only to be bought be WWE again. Silly because they were all optimistic about what was a sinking ship.

Why were they still signing people if they were this bad state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Cody is only there for 3 months and then he's doing 3 months with ROH. Pretty sure his contract allows one-off independent dates while with TNA too.

Aron Rex, on the other hand...

sky88 wrote: »
    Why were they still signing people if they were this bad state.

This is actually an easy one to answer. Any sinking business is the same. You plan for and work toward the future until the plug is pulled. They don't have a goal of being out of business, they're just probably headed that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I wonder if Dixie Carter will make the buyer buy the warehouse full of unsold Dixie Carter action figures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

Reebrock wrote: »
    I wonder if Dixie Carter will make the buyer buy the warehouse full of unsold Dixie Carter action figures?

If WWE buys TNA, they can just repackage them as Stephanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What in the world is Broken Matt?

naughtb4 wrote: »

Where have you been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Where have you been?

To be honest i generally only read the Raw/Smackdown results and skim PPVs after the fact.

Enjoy this board though

Watched a few videos, it seems absolutely insane/nonsense!!! :P :P :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Brother Naught! I knew you'd come!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!

To be honest i generally only read the Raw/Smackdown results and skim PPVs after the fact.

Enjoy this board though

Watched a few videos, it seems absolutely insane/nonsense!!! :P :P :pac:

Its very out there alright, but its been one of the bright spots of TNA recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Apparently Matt hardy in character did a shoot interview and said that brothers Nero hulk hogan and Eric bishoff "all they did was rape, pillage and plunder TNA." The video has been taken down and I did see Eric bishoff tweet about lawyers last night.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Apparently Matt hardy in character did a shoot interview and said that brothers Nero hulk hogan and Eric bishoff "all they did was rape, pillage and plunder TNA." The video has been taken down and I did see Eric bishoff tweet about lawyers last night.

reby hardy had a tweet calling eric out so i guess there is some truth to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

sky88 wrote: »
    reby hardy had a tweet calling eric out so i guess there is some truth to it

She certainly didn't hold back

https://twitter.com/RebyHardy/status/781605455806291968

Advertisement