Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Death (Sale) of TNA ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

sky88 wrote: »
    reby hardy had a tweet calling eric out so i guess there is some truth to it

Oh I didn't see those tweets I did see bishoffs tweet last night and was curious.

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Well that's not going to help now is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well that's not going to help now is it ?

Oh hell no..

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Can Big Tunes Billy pull it off and save the day? Not if Dixie Carter has anything to say about it!

I swear by the sounds of things this whole sale might as well be a wrestling angle. It's going so poorly it sounds like fiction. From what I see Dixie still wants some control even though she's selling the company to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

She wants to save face by saying she got some money for it.

To be honest, at this stage it's probably more about her not wanting to feel like a loser among her rich friends more than anything else. To be able to say "I sold that company to a NYSE company for millions (1.5 of them, to be exact)!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

Suppose Corgan were able to buy it. Would he be willing to commit to running the thing full time? Would it help TNA to be taken seriously if it had an owner for whom the promotion was more like a side project than his life's work? It seems only fitting to have an owner who is 100 percent there and committed. In it for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

TNA at this point in time is a failed dog which just needs taken out the back and having a bullet put in it's head. Forget new owners - the promotion is done. It has been a walking corpse for the past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

Reebrock wrote: »
    TNA at this point in time is a failed dog which just needs taken out the back and having a bullet put in it's head. Forget new owners - the promotion is done. It has been a walking corpse for the past year.

How can it be a walking corpse when it's supposed to have contained one of the hottest wrestling angles of the past while in Broken Matt Hardy?

briany wrote: »

How can it be a walking corpse when it's supposed to have contained one of the hottest wrestling angles of the past while in Broken Matt Hardy?

How much money did that angle make? People Tweeting about a "film match" Matt and Jeff came up with off their own back and clicking on YouTube haven't translated to profit for TNA, or advanced any revenue stream.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

How much money did that angle make? People Tweeting about a "film match" Matt and Jeff came up with off their own back and clicking on YouTube haven't translated to profit for TNA, or advanced any revenue stream.

So? From a fan viewpoint it's been quite good the last months, Hardys, EC3, Lashley. I'd rather have a financial walking corpse putting out good wrestling than the overlong boring ad infested revenue maker that is a certain other show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

So? From a fan viewpoint it's been quite good the last months, Hardys, EC3, Lashley. I'd rather have a financial walking corpse putting out good wrestling than the overlong boring ad infested revenue maker that is a certain other show

Well in that case why dont you put up tens of millions to burn through the next 1-2 yrs of TNA tv? Cos thats what TNA under Dixie has been since 2010, an unprofittable tv show that has burned through her (family) fortune. A wrestling company or any company for that matter should be profittable after the first 12-18 months otherwise its not a viable business.

TNA will be a case study for business' all across the world for years of how NOT to run a business. Being entertaining or a good product is pointless if you cannot generate revenue! TNA cannot generate revenue ergo they are about to be out of business not matter what Broken Matt has or will do.

I hope they lose more money so you and about twenty other people in the world get their kicks then. You've put me in my place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I hope they lose more money so you and about twenty other people in the world get their kicks then. You've put me in my place.
    No need to get all precious, just what's it to you or anyone else here how much money they lose? It's good to watch at the moment, why any wrestling fan would want the show to be shut down while it's actually putting out good wrestling is beyond me :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

According to Meltzer and the New York Post, someone has given Dixie the cash to do the PPV this weekend, and TV taping next week which would see them through to December. No one but Dixie seems to know who has put up the money, but Corrigan had said he wouldn't without something for the money, and he doesn't think WWE would be financing to let them run shows, so it looks like a new challenger has entered...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    According to Meltzer and the New York Post, someone has given Dixie the cash to do the PPV this weekend, and TV taping next week which would see them through to December. No one but Dixie seems to know who has put up the money, but Corrigan had said he wouldn't without something for the money, and he doesn't think WWE would be financing to let them run shows, so it looks like a new challenger has entered...

Ah TNA just when you think they are going to not make the ten count they get to their feet at 9.

She's either pressured corgan into paying or her family gave the money. That was pretty much never in doubt.

Will be resolved early next week, whatever happens. Whoever is after putting in that money isn't going to let it drag on any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

No need to get all precious, just what's it to you or anyone else here how much money they lose? It's good to watch at the moment, why any wrestling fan would want the show to be shut down while it's actually putting out good wrestling is beyond me :confused:

Personally, I enjoy the show as it is now, but I would be happy if they were sold to WWE. It would be more value to me as a fan to have access to the library with the great matches shot in HD with much better production than to see the weekly show which, while often well booked, plays before quiet, detached audiences on a show that feels and has felt like it was dying since the jump to Destination America 21 months ago.

Monokne wrote: »
    has felt like it was dying since the jump to Destination America 21 months ago.
    I'd say here's the point it went terminal
    http://www.cagesideseats.com/tna-impact/2014/7/15/5903265/vince-russo-comes-clean-creative-consultant-tna-mike-johnson

There was that one, and then there was also this one:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2461857/tna-news-tna-president-dixie-carter-accidentally-sends-destination-america-executives-an-email-ripping-them/

Remind me not to CC my boss in next time I send an email b*tching about her. It's easily done, apparently. :)

On a sidenote, Cagesideseats.com still using the term "dirt sheet writer" in 2016 is greatly amusing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Taking tna on the road was the real turning point, despite the UK tapings having fantastic atmosphere (far better than WWE ones manage). Cost them so much money which they never recouped with the decisions made by Hogan and Bischoff at the time mixed with the inept dixie carter made it a deadly cocktail.
    Losing AJ the company lost the heart as he was Mr. Tna

• Advertisement

Doing the UK shows was pretty justified imo, it made them look huge, very good for the brand image and all that.

It's all the shows in Hicksville, NC and the like that were a total waste of money. Considering how heavily they had to paper them (compared to the well selling UK shows) and it's entirely possible they cost more.

Also, pretty sure I never heard that one about Dixie emailing Destination America before! :pac:

You guys have it nailed. The cost of those tapings, two episodes a night on the road, were $650,000 per shot. Cost them over $15 million over the year 2013. The key here isn't that they lost all that money that year, it's that those losses were the last straw for Bob Carter who washed his hands of the company and cut the Panda funding. Immediately the production quality plummeted and the few remaining stars - Sting, Styles, Angle, Hogan - disappeared. This meant ratings sank and TV partners were less attracted. Hogan had been a key in getting them big deal, for one. Since that point they have had to try and make ends meet on their own and obviously they can't do that.

I mean have to ask why dickie Carter was put in charge of a wrestling company ? I mean Vince mcmahon had a proven record of running some small towns in the northeastern USA before bought the company off his dad.

She also took advice off of hogan and bishoff on how to do things, and yes hogan and bishoff have been successful in pro wrestling but they were always going to do what was best for them. Then she clearly is desperate when she hired that stain on the wrestling business Vince russo to try and help TNA. That's like getting dr Nick from the simpsons to perform open heart surgery.

I don't watch TNA but I don't want it to fold as its another place for wrestlers to work but I think it's fair to say they have made a balls of doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

When and if TNA does go under, would WWE look to hoover up the valuable talent? Or would the TNA talent be looking at going to either ROH or NJPW?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean have to ask why dickie Carter was put in charge of a wrestling company ?

She bought one and put herself in charge, is the answer to your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    When and if TNA does go under, would WWE look to hoover up the valuable talent? Or would the TNA talent be looking at going to either ROH or NJPW?

They've already done such with Joe, Roode, Ciampa, Styles (if he counts!)... they've cut/didn't come to terms with a lot of stars (Sandow, Galloway, EC3, Storm, Lashley, Cody/Brandi Rhodes, Funkasuarus). I know they're looking to get the Hardyz (or at least Matt) back; but the answer is it depends on what deal WWE offer them. They're a bit overloaded with NXT/Cruiserweights as it is. Working ROH/NJPW would afford TNA stars much more time overall at home so the difference in pay/perceived place on the card might not be worth it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Imagine the scenes if the show tonight ends with Daniel Bryan walking out to announce the sale to WWE? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It would be a bigger kick if AJ walked out and announced he was now the Face That Ran This Place too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Cant wait for Clare Lynch to return as the secret investor thanks to all the hush hush money she got from AJ. And she will be accompanied by the mysterious ninjas that abducted Joe and drew a penis on his face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

LeeJM wrote: »
    Cant wait for Clare Lynch to return as the secret investor thanks to all the hush hush money she got from AJ. And she will be accompanied by the mysterious ninjas that abducted Joe and drew a penis on his face.

Lol, WWE have their own Claire Lynch!

QrprZFr.jpg2wp80yM.jpg

("Megan Miller", Daniel Bryan's physical therapist, whom he had an affair with) :pac::pac:

Advertisement