Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

243 Rifle Licence

Options
  • 28-09-2016 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hello

What does one need to do to get a 243 licence?

I currently have a 0.17 but would like to upgrade due to not being able to recover many foxes that seemed to be hit hard with the 0.17.

Primarily for fox shooting but intend to get into deer stalking in the future.

Do i need to obtain a deer permit to get a 243 licence or will fox shooting justify the need?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

HW100S wrote: »
    What does one need to do to get a 243 licence?
    Range membership or a deer license seem to be the norm.

There is no legal requirement to have either of these named activities, but the law does say you must show good reason for wanting the calibre you are applying for so the deer license or range membership are your good reason.

If you were to put down range membership without stating deer stalking and the license was granted then it's granted on the basis of shooting on a range. IOW range membership would not help you as much as a deer license as this is your primary reason for wanting it.
    Do i need to obtain a deer permit to get a 243 licence or will fox shooting justify the need?
    It's really up to your Super.

Legally speaking you can apply for it as a foxing rifle. Once you can show it is necessary then you've fulfilled the "good reason" part of the application. However like most things, Supers are so used to people applying and using range membership or deer stalking as a good reason that most now seem to refuse to allow ANY deer legal calibre for anything other than range or deer.

If you wanted it for foxing first, and perhaps deer later on down the road you would need to show why that calibre is necessary over say a 223. For example:
    1. Superior ballistics of the 243
    2. Greater killing power for more humane dispatch
    3. Deer legal for when you turn your hand to stalking
    4. No need for two rifles which you would have to go for if the 243 was refused as the all round rifle (IOW you're saying give me the 243 or i'll apply for a 223 and 243 so by giving you the 243 he'll be preventing "More guns on the streets" :rolleyes: )
    5. If a member of a range then it can be used for short to medium range target shooting *** This only works if you are a member of a range ***

As said above once you can show good reason there is no reason for you not to get it, but certain practices have become the norm. Much like the competency and some Supers only accepting the certificate instead of the other ways to prove competence. Because it's easier.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Thanks Cass

This is a very detailed answer, much appreciated.

I am not a member of a range, just a gun club, but I assume thats not a valid reason.

I can get letters from different farmers stating the need for fox control if necessary.

I can always go and speak to the super or the secretary and ask their advise on what is required. The super in my area seems reasonable. I have never had any isssue with licences for any of my rifles or moderators to date including substitutions and have had a 223 & moderator before with no hassle getting it.

thanks for your help.

HW100S wrote: »
    I am not a member of a range, just a gun club, but I assume thats not a valid reason.
    Gun clubs don't have the same authorisation as a range and so the reasons for the calibre of firearm being sought are not viewed the same for a gun club as it would be for a range. IOW on a range you can ask for (example) a 308 for targets and tick the hunting box too. In a gun club with no deer the 308 would be used for foxes/rabbits and might be viewed as excessive where a smaller calibre will suffice.

A gun club is better than nothing and is primarily good for land permissions and to a lesser extent insurance (insurance is not a prerequisite). For foxes and then deer later you could use the gun club and it would improve your chances so don't discount it yet.
    I can get letters from different farmers stating the need for fox control if necessary.
    If you can get the same letters for deer either through the gun club or separately in your own name then why not apply now for the deer license. You can apply anytime through the year. At this time of year you'd get the deer license before the end of the season and this would give you the good reason for the 243.

Doesn't mean you have to start deer stalking and as the license is free (deer license) it won't cost you anything to go that route.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

If you can get the same letters for deer either through the gun club or separately in your own name then why not apply now for the deer license.

That should be straightforward enough so I could do that, thats sounds like the best way to go.

Absolutely.

If you apply in March next year it'll be August before you get the actual license and i'm hearing more and more Supers are making people wait on the actual deer license before issuing the gun license whereas before they used to accept a "grant" letter from the NPWS saying you would be given the deer license come August.

The deer license will allow you to get out with others, assuming you haven't been before, and learn the ropes. If a shot presents itself you can decide whether to take it or not, and be legal.

Also it'll give you more time before next season to get the rifle to the way you want it, scope, suppressor, ammo, and learn the gun. Rather than try gte it all, learn the ropes, and how the rifle performs in the one season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement