Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit required to switch electric supplier if you're a tenant

Options
  • 28-09-2016 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

A friend who rents told me he was switching his supplier and was asked for a 300 euro deposit. I'm just curious as to how the supplier would know the difference if you said you were the owner, can they check who owns the property ?? My friend has paid and switched but curiously has the better of me now so does anyone know ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Isn't it more based on your credit history than whether or not you're renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Treadhead wrote: »
    Isn't it more based on your credit history than whether or not you're renting?

Nearly all suppliers charge tenants regardless. They don't ask for proof of ownership though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Landdirect.ie run by the Property Registration Authority will show you the owner.

But as to Electricity supplier, most of them will require a deposit for tenants if they sign up for Direct Debit as payment method.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd point out that even as a owner many years ago when I signed up to Electric Ireland I was given the option of pay by direct debit and pay no deposit or pay without direct debit and give them a 300e deposit. So they also have deposits for home owners too

I can understand them being more strict with renters as the chance of doing a runner is higher

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Landdirect.ie run by the Property Registration Authority will show you the owner.

Not if they've just bought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The deposit isn't just for tenants, I've had to pay a deposit or sign up to direct debit as a house owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't think this is a tenant vs owner thing. It's much more to do with how you pay your bill. If you offer the supplier the security of paying by direct debit,t hey will probably not require a security deposit.

Advertisement