Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Funding Protest 3 October 5:30pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I'll take a carefully directed 3% now though.

Ssshhhh! 7.5%!
    Get them to pay the 'road tax' on their bicycles.

Quite right. Since the motor tax is a carbon tax, cyclists should also have to pay a tax on all the carbon emissions they produce. Which is none. So €0

And in fact, since I have sold my car for scrap and now only cycle, I should pay a negative carbon tax; I should be getting money back ;)

The idea that the money should be carefully directed is true. But we know where we want it directed at the outset:
    • The Mountains-to-the-Sea cycleway along the Dodder from Glenasmole to Ringsend
    • The full extension of the Grand Canal cycleway
    • The full extension of the Royal Canal cycleway

After that, well, we can talk about the Liffey quayside route, about money for cycling clubs in schools, about cycle lanes along main roads to schools, about protected cycle lanes rather than streaks of paint…

Weepsie's a man? For some reason I thought he was one of the Sisters of the Road rather than one of the Brothers of the Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Hi,

Not saying this protest isn't a good idea but its not really going to bother Shane Ross too much (especially if he's gone home). And if you disrupt traffic flow the reaction will be "ignorant militant cyclists etc..."

Given that many cyclists are also car drivers here's an idea - get a bumper sticker done up that says something like

" I'd be cycling if there was decent infrastructure ... and we'd both be going faster " and have the dead bird on it to mess with their heads :)

Then get all the cyclists/drivers to drive around government buildings for an hour or two while Shane Ross is trying to get out on the road home.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Given that many cyclists are also car drivers here's an idea - get a bumper sticker done up that says something like

" I'd be cycling if there was decent infrastructure ... and we'd both be going faster " and have the dead bird on it to mess with their heads :)

I know you're not being entirely serious, but this is actually a great idea. I'm sure loads of my friends/family would support throwing one of them on their car in my honour. Sorry to harp on about the London Cycling Campaign, but one of the things they did well was sell some nice merchandise to get free advertising and put the funds to good use.

In terms of upsetting Ross' plans to get home for dinner - you've got to take into account people's work hours too unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Not saying this protest isn't a good idea but its not really going to bother Shane Ross too much (especially if he's gone home).

Given Ross' reported work ethic, I'd be surprised to catch him in at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

protest_cycling_facebook_post_v2.png?itok=3n6uyYA9

Giving this a bump to remind everyone about tomorrow's protest.

Starting point is at the Dublin Bikes stand outside the Natural History Museum, on the western side of Merrion Square.

Assemble from 5.30pm, the cycle will begin around 5.45pm.

Bring your bike, and if you have a bell or whistle bring those too.

Full details, including route, available here: http://dublincycling.ie/cycling/cycle-protest-monday-3rd-october-2016-guidelines-protesters?utm_content=buffer4022d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Advertisement

Bumping again. The cycle will start at the Dead Zoo (Upper Merrion Street) and continue around the Green etc, in a chorus of ringing bells. Let's look for 10% of the transport fund for cycleways.

398216.jpg

Meanwhile, excellent news
    BUSES AND BICYCLES TO STAY ON QUAYS IN NEW PLAN WHICH WILL DIVERT CARS
    OCTOBER 3, 2016 CIAN GINTY NEWS 0

— New plan welcomed by campaigners and councilors from different parties
    — Cars to be diverted off quays, while bicycles and buses to get priority
    — Opposition from motoring groups and car park owners expected to be strong.

Walking, cycling and public transport are to be prioritised in a new plan for the Liffey Cycle Route, which will divert cars off the quays between the James Joyce Bridge and the Four Courts.

http://irishcycle.com/2016/10/03/liffey-cycle-route-to-be-kept-on-the-quays-in-surprising-but-welcomed-move/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Protest being discussed on radio on Morning Ireland now.

Protest being discussed on radio on Morning Ireland now.
    Aine Lawlor asking why should cycling get extra funding when so many break red lights etc.

Would the same question be put to the AA if it was a motor related funding issue? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Cool, I will try to go to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Aine Lawlor asking why should cycling get extra funding when so many break red lights etc.

Don't know who Aine Lawlor is but the real question should be why should cycling get extra funding when I can never cook the right amount of pasta.

Oh wait, the 2 are completely unrelated. Actually, if anything, 'good infrastructure promotes good behaviour' and all that. Who knows, if the protests go well maybe I will be able to cook the right amount of pasta.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the answer is that if you put in a few large trans-city cycleways there will be no red lights for the thousands of cyclists on them.
    The other question is why do broadcasters get huge salaries out of public funding when they ask unresearched and stupid questions.

Meanwhile, some calming moonlighting

Yeah, the answer is that if you put in a few large trans-city cycleways there will be no red lights for the thousands of cyclists on them.
    The other question is why do broadcasters get huge salaries out of public funding when they ask unresearched and stupid questions.

Meanwhile, some calming moonlighting. (Damn, putting YOUTUBE tags around a Vimeo video doesn't work)

https://vimeo.com/123102485

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

jive wrote: »
    Don't know who Aine Lawlor is......
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aine_Lawlor

Hey, someone ring up and invite Aine Lawlor to come along, bring her bike and her mic and talk to the cyclists on the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

If anyone wants to say hello, I'll be the lanky fella on the chrome Bianchi fixie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

It wasn't a dig at her, I don't listen to the radio or watch much on RTE so beyond a few news anchors, Ryan Tubridy, Dunphy, Giles and Brady I haven't a notion. Mind you, I keep my ignorance to myself and don't broadcast it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember you used to be able to get bumper stickers which read 'i'm helping change the climate!' messages with big smiley faces, to place onto SUVs.

Here's a link to the podcast of this morning's interview about today's protest on RTE Radio One:

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9%5F21063022%5F48%5F03%2D10%2D2016%5F

Moflojo wrote: »
    Here's a link to the podcast of this morning's interview about today's protest on RTE Radio One:

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/morning-ireland/programmes/2016/1003/820994-morning-ireland-monday-3-october-2016/?clipid=2298403#2298403

Link won't play for me.

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Link won't play for me.

It should bring you to a page where the podcast is listed - Does this link work better? http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9%5F21063022%5F48%5F03%2D10%2D2016%5F

Moflojo wrote: »
    It should bring you to a page where the podcast is listed - Does this link work better? http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9%5F21063022%5F48%5F03%2D10%2D2016%5F

Yup, thanks.

Colm Ryder's use of the word "infrastructure" isn't great, though the interview was generally very well handled - better to say "cycleways" because people often don't know what the word infrastructure means.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Colm Ryder's use of the word "infrastructure" isn't great, though the interview was generally very well handled - better to say "cycleways" because people often don't know what the word infrastructure means.

Good point. I think "Greenways" is also worth focusing on as it has positive connotations for both cyclists and pedestrians (everyone loves the Great Western Greenway!). Improved cycling infrastructure will also greatly benefit pedestrians because of a reduction in conflict zones between bikes & pedestrians, and because of an increased buffer zone between footpaths & roadways (assuming the segregated cyclepath is placed between the footpath and the roadway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

No bike today, attended a funeral earlier and figured showing up in bib shorts and a boards jersey might not be appropriate. I work on Merrion square so I'll pop over.

As luck or coincidence would have it, a bell I ordered for my daughter's bike arrived this morning, so I'll be the nutter standing around ringing a bell. Be kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Eponymous, meeting point is at the Dublin Bike Stand! Have you a card or a leap card? Also they asked people to wear ordinary clothes to make the point that cycling is an ordinary activity so boards jersey not appropriate either way! Is that really true re "infrastructure " not being commonly understood? if so then "cycleways" yes, but not "Greenways" Somebody mentioned the GWG is well known and popular, true but it's on the Wild Atlantic Way! the infrastructure we need is mainly in urban areas to separate cyclists from traffic especially trucks etc. We need cycleways in town and greenways for our holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'll be there with kids in a trailer, Kona cargo bike. Oh the entertainment! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'll be the lunatic on a fatbike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Eponymous, meeting point is at the Dublin Bike Stand! Have you a card or a leap card? Also they asked people to wear ordinary clothes to make the point that cycling is an ordinary activity so boards jersey not appropriate either way! Is that really true re "infrastructure " not being commonly understood? if so then "cycleways" yes, but not "Greenways" Somebody mentioned the GWG is well known and popular, true but it's on the Wild Atlantic Way! the infrastructure we need is mainly in urban areas to separate cyclists from traffic especially trucks etc. We need cycleways in town and greenways for our holidays!
    I'd seen the bit about not wearing hi-viz but missed the bit re plain clothes, but had I cycled in, I'd be attending before cycling home so I'd have to be in my cycling gear. I doubt I'd be the only one.

Not going to take a DB for this, once the protest moves on, I'll be heading for a bus anyway. I'm popping over to add to the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Eponymous wrote: »
    I'd seen the bit about not wearing hi-viz but missed the bit re plain clothes, but had I cycled in, I'd be attending before cycling home so I'd have to be in my cycling gear. I doubt I'd be the only one.

Not going to take a DB for this, once the protest moves on, I'll be heading for a bus anyway. I'm popping over to add to the numbers.

I'll be in cycling clothing also, going for a spin in phoenix park before hand in anyway

Advertisement