Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Funding Protest 3 October 5:30pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Do they want people in cycling clothes to turn up or not to bother to turn up? Those are my options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Do they want people in cycling clothes to turn up or not to bother to turn up? Those are my options

Everyone with a bike should turn up, don't get hung up on the clothing (I know, I know...cycling fashion is a big deal on this forum).

I'll be in 'ordinary' clothes but wearing a hi vis waterproof jacket for practical purposes.

Is that really true re "infrastructure " not being commonly understood? if so then "cycleways" yes, but not "Greenways" Somebody mentioned the GWG is well known and popular, true but it's on the Wild Atlantic Way! the infrastructure we need is mainly in urban areas to separate cyclists from traffic especially trucks etc. We need cycleways in town and greenways for our holidays!

The two scenarios are not mutually exclusive Corca. There should be multiple greenways in Dublin: Dodder Greenway (Mountains to the Sea?) and Royal Canal Greenway being the primary examples, along with the Sutton to Sandycove coastal 'greenway'. In my mind I see the Greenways as the cycling (& walking) 'superhighways' with the cycle paths as your average 'main road'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'll be in cycling clothes - jeans and a jumper. :D Come along wearing whatever you want I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Is there a Strava segment for the route? Be interested in giving in a lash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Boards kit for me this time. Was in civvies last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Zyzz wrote: »
    Is there a Strava segment for the route? Be interested in giving in a lash
    There's one from the corner where it starts up to the traffic lights at Merrion Row junction. Can't access Strava in work to post the link, but you'll find it...

Not sure it's in the spirit of the event, but hey-ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I presumed they meant to avoid confusion with the marshals not to wear hi-viz vests. In practice, I assume they don't really mind, and they'd prefer to get a good number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

People turned up in all kinds of gear last time; main thing is that lots of people go.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

Once you're on a bike that's between 54 and 58cms in size, has straight handlebars, 700c wheels, front mudguard only and hub brakes, you'll be welcome along.

Anyone with lycra, hi-vis and a green or yellow bike will be turned away.

Aero helmets optional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I'd be very surprised and would be the first to call bullsh*t if anyone is turned away for being dressed in cycling gear. It doesn't do your cause much good if you start turning away your supporters for not meeting some arbitrary definition of what a cyclist is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

o they asked people to wear ordinary clothes to make the point that cycling is an ordinary activity...
    I wasn't able to make it due to work but if this is the mentality, I'm kinda glad I couldn't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Getting some coverage on rte radio news at 18.45 l. Quite positive.

Just back in.

Well attended rally. Started off in merrion square and went to the dept of transport. It seemed there was too many people to fit in the street in front of the department of transport people seemed to keep coming. I'd say more turned up than they were expecting. All very good natured and fun.

All sorts there. From full lycra on road bikes to kids in cargo bikes. A few really small kids on bikes which was nice to see too.

Let's hope it's just the begining of something bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just in too, very well attended. In fact possibly more than they expected. A few incidents with impatient drivers revving the engines on Cuffe Street but they were met with the derision they deserved and all passed off peacefully. Forgot how much of a challenge it is cycling slowly when you're not struggling up some lump of a hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Oops, apologies, attempts at humour don't always translate in print, I thought the image of Eponymous arriving to a Dublin Bike Stand with a "where are you going with no bike for your bell?" air was funny and I reminded him/her that there was a solution with no gear required. I presume Already Home's comment was in a similar vein. I'm not a member or involved with Dublin Cycling Campaign but as well as Tomasrojo's point re the marshals being easily distinguished in high-viz I imagine the idea of "wear ordinary clothes" wasn't to turn away anybody who already had a road bike and therefore cycles in their cycling gear but to stress that this wasn't a prerequisite and that people in office/shopping/studenty clothes on any and every type of bke were encouraged to attend.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hope it goes well. Raging I couldnt make it. Any pics?

Huge turnout - I think there was the bones of 1,000 people there. Great atmosphere and, as has already been alluded to, there was great mixture of cyclist - this campaign really is an all-inclusive movement.

There are some photos and videos up on Broadsheet now:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/10/03/ring-ring-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Great turn out! My guess would be 800? Maybe a 1000? Hard to know.

Be good to keep the momentum going

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Great turn out! My guess would be 800? Maybe a 1000? Hard to know.

Be good to keep the momentum going

There were around 80 people at the first rally 10 days ago. They told each of us to bring back 10 more people with us to the next one. We obviously did!

I think the movement has picked up a huge head of steam and another protest could well be on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Great turn out and great voice today :) my first event of this nature will be on board for more for sure! Wouldn't have heard about if not for this forum so thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Was there myself. It's right beside my work so no excuse. Got there around 5.45 and there was already a sizeable crowd - I joined and then ended up accidentally leading it as we cycled slowly towards Stephens Green. Real mix of a crowd - cargo bike, couriers, high nellys, road bikes, mountain bikes. Great to see such a cross section of the cycling community come together.

There was easily well in the hundreds there - 800 or more not an exaggeration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Chuchote wrote: »
    Yeah, the answer is that if you put in a few large trans-city cycleways there will be no red lights for the thousands of cyclists on them.
    The other question is why do broadcasters get huge salaries out of public funding when they ask unresearched and stupid questions.
    I often find that, when I'm directly involved or invested in a news issue, I am generally amazed at how superficial the news coverage is, and rarely gets behind an issue to show any real insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I've been there in plain clothes with kids in a trailer. Got interviewed by Brian (didn't catch his surname) from RTE1 about the trailer, my general view on cycling in Ireland and how to improve it. Not sure if it was aired but the chap was very friendly and seemed maybe even positively biased towards cycling.

Great turnout, cycling community represented from nearly every angle ;) There was even a guy carrying his dog in a bullit... that's a cool niche :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Easily 1000 there, was great. All sorts of cyclists there. Spotted a beautiful chrome Bianchi single speed en route to protest with Alreadyhome sitting atop. Lovely meeting you, thanks everyone for reminders on this forum about the event.
    From little acorns with flashing lights....

MB Lacey wrote: »
    From little acorns with flashing lights....

Had to negotiate around that guy with the 1.5 sign on the back of his bike at one stage: The idea was great in theory, but in a mob of a thousand cyclists... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I got there for about 1810, joining the crowd outside the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport. Very big turnout. Good-humoured. Lots of different types of people and lots of different types of bikes.

Yes it was broadcast Alek and well said! rte radio player, Drivetime, towards the end about 6 45 after the sports news

Must replicate the Quays or the Canal on a busy morning Moflojo! Good overtaking practise!

One of the comments after the Newstalk interview was from a listener who said cyclists needed to understand that motorists had to concentrate so hard on looking ahead that they didn't have time to be looking to see what was coming up on the side!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

398300.jpg

A pic from near the back when we were all on Leeson Lane, it was an amazing crowd!

We left after a while because the kids were hungry, and then we were sitting outside Burritos and Blues on Wexford St and a GIANT gang of cyclists came past ringing bells and chanting slogans. If I could have made the kids choke down their guacamole and chips quickly enough I'd have tried to chase them down, but no such luck...

Fair play to all who turned up, I hope we made a difference.

Advertisement