Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emails not arriving

Options
  • 28-09-2016 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Could someone add your email to some online blacklist database ? A lot of my emails are not arriving to the people sent to. I am wondering why as they are my contacts. My PC is clean. I get dodgy email with attachments now and then but do not open them and do not download any 'free' adware etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

If you're sending out a lot of emails it could be automatically marked as spam on their end.

Without giving the addresses away, are they "company" addresses and not the likes of gmail / yahoo / hotmail ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Who is your email provider? I have occasional problems with people with eircom.net email addresses not being able to reach me, as some of their outgoing mail servers regularly land up on blacklists due to their abuse department not giving a damn what rubbish gets spewed out of bots on their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Conversely, are you sending the e-mails from the likes of Gmail and Yahoo and Hotmail?

It's also completely possible that someone else using your ISP has been very naughty and caused a lot of recipients to blacklist a block of addresses that happens to include yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Generally it's the mail servers themselves that get blacklisted rather than individual email addresses, so everyone using that ISP / email provider get hit whether it's their fault or not.

There's an interesting effect too if the email provider uses a load balancing system, such as the one eircom use, where although you always use the same SMTP server address to send your emails, what actually happens is that it gets passed on to one of a pool of servers (24 in the case of eircom IIRC) and which one you get assigned is a complete lottery. The blacklisters ignore this though, and it's quite common to see 2 or 3 of the pool blacklisted but all the others are in the clear, so it's completely random if your email gets past them or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

me_irl wrote: »
    If you're sending out a lot of emails it could be automatically marked as spam on their end.

Without giving the addresses away, are they "company" addresses and not the likes of gmail / yahoo / hotmail ones?
    i am not sending large amount and i am sending from eircom.net address. funny i can reach them sending from hotmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

i am not sending large amount and i am sending from eircom.net address. funny i can reach them sending from hotmail

...then the issue is with Eir.....speak to their technical support people.

My guess is that this will be a temporary phenomenon...something similar happened to me a few years ago and as soon as the ISP was made aware that there was a problem, it was resolved fairly quickly.

Speedwell wrote: »
    Conversely, are you sending the e-mails from the likes of Gmail and Yahoo and Hotmail?

It's also completely possible that someone else using your ISP has been very naughty and caused a lot of recipients to blacklist a block of addresses that happens to include yours.
    how would the block include mine if my address was not involved. I have never spammed or sent unwanted email

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

A couple of years ago I set-up a GMail account for a community scheme and used it to send e-mail updates to our subscribers (who all signed up to receive said updates). In order to keep things private I used to put the mailing list into the BCC field and send that way.

This was fine the first few times, but then I started getting bounces from Google suggesting that I wasn't playing nice and that I should use Google Groups. I found reducing the number of addresses in a mail stopped the bounces, but I was now sending multiple mails with similar content. Then I started hearing some people weren't getting anything from me - even if I sent it directly to them in the To field.

I gave in an went with Google Groups and they worked fine, but for a long time there were people not getting mail from the main account.

I suspect using the BCC list along with multiple similar e-mails may have triggered anti-spam thingies on the webbynet. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

how would the block include mine if my address was not involved. I have never spammed or sent unwanted email

If a sysadmin/filtering routine sees asdasdash@blah.com then uutruioteuo@blah.com and then wuirwyrwiu@blah.com it can be easy to just say ahh forget blah.com its nothing but spam. Same could be said of @eircom.net. Usually its just in the form of a stronger weighting (they're more suspicious of you) but the lazy approach is a straight ban.

Stop using eircom.net, really.

ED E wrote: »
    If a sysadmin/filtering routine sees asdasdash@blah.com then uutruioteuo@blah.com and then wuirwyrwiu@blah.com it can be easy to just say ahh forget blah.com its nothing but spam. Same could be said of @eircom.net. Usually its just in the form of a stronger weighting (they're more suspicious of you) but the lazy approach is a straight ban.

Stop using eircom.net, really.
    These are just private individuals i am mailing not companies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Doesnt mean they dont have spam detection. You've said it yourself, hotmail(Outlook.com) gets through fine.

Advertisement