Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loving the bike a little too much?!

Options
  • 28-09-2016 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

The combination of some hard training sessions coupled with p1ss poor quality sleep over the last 10 days or so have left me feeling like I have an awful hangover. I have had this a few times before and while the symptoms always subside after 2 days at most, I still haven't learned my lesson. Ever overtrained before? What symptoms did you have? How did you adapt your training to avoid it. Man, I'd put the bike in the bed with me at night if I could.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

I'm certainly guilty of overtraining at times - my worst experience was training for the Ironman: trying to squeeze as many sessions into the three disciplines as I possibly could each week. During university I trained up to 8 times a week and never had the same sensation, mainly because of three common sense aspects of the regime (first two taken care of by coaches):

1) Build up gradually. That's what pre-seasons are for - nice, gentle preparatory sessions to get the blood flowing. From there, gradual increase of training load. Don't shock the system.

2) Rest days. That means rest. Completely. No cycling. No. Nothing.

3) Sleep. Full 8 hours of the stuff.

On top of these three is nutrition, hydration, making sure the bike fit is right, making sure your cadence isn't too big a strain etc.

Advertisement