Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social work masters

• 28-09-2016 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone who has done this course tell me how your voluntary experience is assessed/verified during the application/interview process? I am due to apply on Feb but have a feeling I will be short by 100 hrs. Would I be able to get away with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'd call the department and have a chat about it. The course is always massively over subscribed, and plenty of people have well over the hours required. Better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Elizabeth Smith

Its assessed in terms of what you have learned from it..how you can translate micro to macro problems, such as addiction..individual problems associated with it and how these problems can filter into wider societal problems.

Also, how you coped with emotionally challenging situations, self care, how you feel you helped etc

Tbh, in the university interviews my advice would be to be positive and enthusiastic. Dont be a robot and show your personality also they are big on social work values and ethics and recent policy/literature.

Feel free to ask any more questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Its assessed in terms of what you have learned from it..how you can translate micro to macro problems, such as addiction..individual problems associated with it and how these problems can filter into wider societal problems.

Also, how you coped with emotionally challenging situations, self care, how you feel you helped etc

Tbh, in the university interviews my advice would be to be positive and enthusiastic. Dont be a robot and show your personality also they are big on social work values and ethics and recent policy/literature.

Feel free to ask any more questions!

Thanks so much! That is so helpful. Did you have much experience at the time of the interview? Do they ask for references for the work you've done? I have some additional care experience from 10 years ago but am debating whether to even include that as I can't even remember the name of the woman whose contact details I would need

I had worked up a lot of hours as I worked as a HCA in different settings also I worked in ID for a few years.
    From what I remember you just had to give 2 referees and they contact them via phone or email.
    I gave an academic referee and my boss from my job in the ID service. A lot of the people in my class didnt have loads and loads of experience but it's more of a matter of what you have to offer and your understanding of the role of the SW. Your previous experience is used as a foundation of how different services work and your ability to work on the frontline to vulnerable people along with empathy and understanding to their suituation.
    They usually ask why exactly you want to be a social worker and what the different types of social work are ie. CP, mental health, medical, private, community etc.
    I wouldnt dwell on your voluntary exp. too much its where you are at now and what you can bring to the table!

Also, in your application make sure you have a strong personal statement. Well written and NO spelling/grammar mistakes.
    Include you have an interest in current affairs, ethics and you can be empathetic..basically sell yourself!

• Advertisement

*understanding and empathy towards how wider social problems affect the individual eg. Economic problems affect mental health may cause homelessness and the cycle of poverty. This is where you bring in the value of your work experience and what you have learned from it.
    I hope that makes sense ��

Advertisement