Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tacx Turbo advice

Options
  • 28-09-2016 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking at buying a load of Tacx satori smart trainers for our club turbo classes, just wondering what your feedback is in the Tacx satori smart trainer ? Do they need power and what the app is like ?

Cheers zip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

At a budget level I have the flow got it on special in halfords for €150 I think it was. It's €230 or so now.

The first one the resistance unit plastic body seperated and the magnets began hitting against something. 4 weeks old returned.

2nd one 1 week old and it's shat it's pants. It won't connect to anything and no resistance from the fly wheel. Emailed tacx and they're saying it's a software issue and to update with their tts tool which they sent me a link to. I've yet to try it but so far it's not looking good for tacx.

When they worked they were very good and not to loud but hang onto your receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Zippe

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    At a budget level I have the flow got it on special in halfords for €150 I think it was. It's €230 or so now.

The first one the resistance unit plastic body seperated and the magnets began hitting against something. 4 weeks old returned.

2nd one 1 week old and it's shat it's pants. It won't connect to anything and no resistance from the fly wheel. Emailed tacx and they're saying it's a software issue and to update with their tts tool which they sent me a link to. I've yet to try it but so far it's not looking good for tacx.

When they worked they were very good and not to loud but hang onto your receipt.

I'm buying 20 of them and last thing I need is them not working properly, is the flow a better spec trainer than the satori ?

Cheers

I don't know to be honest I think it is more expensive so perhaps it is.

I had the old school satori both new and older versions for years and never an issue.

To be fair the returns were questions asked and they came straight out with another or refund.

The flow is made specifically for halfords to sell AFAIK so that might be the reasoning behind the price point. The satori may well be more robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I used a Satori for 3 years without any issues. A mate of mine has it now and it's still going strong 5 years on. I found it good and robust.

P

Third times a charm.. right ??

20161002_172510_zps5ise2f1y.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

iwillhtfu wrote: »

The old (non smart) flow was solid. It was dumb but it was good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Zippe wrote: »
    I'm buying 20 of them and last thing I need is them not working properly, is the flow a better spec trainer than the satori ?

Cheers

I've had a flow for a few years now and use it 3-5 times a week during the winter, typically 45 minutes to 1 hour per session. Latch to lock the back wheel in snapped once and replaced it, same with the brake electro-magnet box. I wouldn't say it is a massively robust unit, but the spares are easy enough to get and fix. If I needed 20, I'd buy 21-22 on the basis you'll probably have one or two units down most of the time if they're all in regular use. I'd also check out availability and cost of spares. Shopping around, Bike24 had the best prices at the time, but for 20 units you should be seeing some discount.

Advertisement