Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP scheme

Options
  • 28-09-2016 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone advise if im understanding this correctly.
    We are eligible for the HAP scheme as we are at risk of becoming homeless. So basically the max amount the council pays to the landord on our behalf is 1500 based on our family size. And we then pay rent equal to 15% of our income.  At present we're paying 1000 rent, when we receive HAP that means we'll be only paying roughly around 350 rent (15% of wages) . This seems way too low, or am i overlooking something or have I misunderstood something??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

shashaela wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone advise if im understanding this correctly.
    We are eligible for the HAP scheme as we are at risk of becoming homeless. So basically the max amount the council pays to the landord on our behalf is 1500 based on our family size. And we then pay rent equal to 15% of our income.  At present we're paying 1000 rent, when we receive HAP that means we'll be only paying roughly around 350 rent (15% of wages) . This seems way too low, or am i overlooking something or have I misunderstood something??

You pay 15% to the council as the contribution towards the rent. Then the council pay the full amount - 1000 to the landlord. Are you sure you qualify for HAP based on your income of 2333 pm or 28000 per year.

Edit: just checked and max for single person net income is 35k. However you need to be on the social housing list and to apply you must have a housing need.

I think you need to talk to the cummunity welfare officer in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shashaela

Thanks for your reply. Yeah we were with a placement officer and told we are eligible. The place we're currently renting for 1000 is going up for sale. The recent rent increases have left us unable to afford anything else, all other properties are around 1300-1600. So we will be going from a rental property of 1000 to one around 1300-1600, yet only paying 350 rent per month? This is why I was convinced im calculating something wrong

No you've got it in one! You get a better apartment or at least landlord cops onto fact that council is willing to pay them 1500 and so increases the rent to this. As a result rents in the area go up. You've nicer apartment, happy landlord and you're now paying 350 whereas you were paying 1000 a month. Everyone is happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The biggest issue you will have is actually finding a landlord willing to take HAP

Gatling wrote: »
    The biggest issue you will have is actually finding a landlord willing to take HAP

I was tempted a few months ago when I advertised an apartment for 1300 and I was inundated with HAP approved applicants offering me 1500.

• Advertisement

I have to say, only for this scheme we could be homeless, but it seems ridicilous that we're only going to be paying 350 rent when we can currently afford 1000. Its a struggle but we're getting by. Meanwhile the council is loosing money to pay extortionate rents to private landlords that could be used to buy/build social housing!

Yes thats my next hurdle, finding a landlord :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Meanwhile the council is loosing money to pay extortionate rents to private landlords that could be used to buy/build social housing!

I've huge reservations about HAP and the political motivations behind it...

I think it's a major move in social housing policy and effectively removes people from the public housing list and makes private rental and landlords the new providers of long term housing.

I've opened a thread on HAP in the politics cafe
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100774141

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I have to say, only for this scheme we could be homeless, but it seems ridicilous that we're only going to be paying 350 rent when we can currently afford 1000. Its a struggle but we're getting by. Meanwhile the council is loosing money to pay extortionate rents to private landlords that could be used to buy/build social housing!

Yes thats my next hurdle, finding a landlord :-(

Usually on such schemes the rent is similar to the Council rents so you are allowed a "disregard" amount equal to the base rate of social welfare for all those living with you and after that you pay 20% of any income above the basic social welfare rate.

Someone single and on the dole or disability would pay approximately €30 but someone earning €800/week will pay approximately €90 as long as they are eligible for the scheme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

You're figuring it out correctly OP, grab it with both hands. Problem you will have is finding a landlord willing to accept HAP. My advice to you would be to get good references ready and have your deposit and 1st months rent ready to go also so that you appear to be a tenant who is organised and has it all together.

Best of luck.

You must come up with the deposit yourself btw.

• Advertisement

Thanks Pilly. Trying to find somewhere that's within the 1500 limit is proving difficult!

Thanks Pilly. Trying to find somewhere that's within the 1500 limit is proving difficult!

Ah you will find somewhere, what areas are you looking in? Is it a house or apartment you're looking for?

Preferably an apartment in Dublin 7 .

I don't know the northside that well but it seems feasible to me. Can you pay anymore on top of the 1500 directly to a landlord or is that the maximum you're allowed to rent for?

Thats the one million dollar question that no one can give me an answer to! I've asked two councillors and left voicemails on the HAP phone line and im still none the wiser!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nicole11

Thats the one million dollar question that no one can give me an answer to! I've asked two councillors and left voicemails on the HAP phone line and im still none the wiser!

You don't have stick to the limit the HAP scheme will pay for you. You can go for a place a little more expensive or cheaper. The only thing is you need to make sure your landlord understands that you will pay the rest that the hap scheme won't cover and make sure they are ok with that.

Thanks Nicole11. Information on the hap scheme is really like a classified seçret when even councillors cant answer some of the questions! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

20% is the discretionary wiggle room with hap thresholds according to Simon community presentation this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nicole11

No bother at all.

Now I have my own question haha. I have submitted our forms for a place landlord has given all he needed but now the million dollar question how long does it take for the landlord to get his money before we can move in. They are paying out deposit and first months rent for us.

Thanks to anybody that can help me

• Registered Users Posts: 12 denge_azadi

Hi, I am in the housing list.
    I have been to council today to apply HAP.
    I currently pay 1800 pm for the rent.
    I've talked to a lady at council and she has made a calculation. She told me that the rent is so high and my opinion is that u can't get HAP payment.
    She told me to find a cheaper place to rent.
    I have been trying to find 1 or 2 bed flat since about 4 months and I get no reply.

My wife will be giving birth in 2 months and I can become a homeless before my baby born.
    I get only about 200 after rent and tax pm.
    Lost all of my savings and borrowed so much money to effort to pay the rent.

I have no clue what I am going to do. Could you please share your advise ?
    Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭subrosa

Phone Threshold tomorrow on 1800 454 454. They operate a scheme on behalf of the Dublin Local Authorities and can assist with applying for discretionary payments if you are facing homelessness. If you are outside Dublin they can point you in the right direction.

I have no clue what I am going to do. Could you please share your advise ? Thank you.

Whereabouts are you looking to rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

You've nicer apartment, happy landlord and you're now paying 350 whereas you were paying 1000 a month. Everyone is happy!

Except the tax payers..... (Not having a go at OP obviously, just highlighting the wastage)

pilly wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you looking to rent?

Dublin 1, 2, 3 if possisble.

Is it true that the landlord must accept the HAP if they register you with PRT?
    Is it true that the council won't allow you to pay more than 15% for the rent?
    I don't mind paying more after HAP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Is it true that the landlord must accept the HAP if they register you with PRT?
    Is it true that the council won't allow you to pay more than 15% for the rent?
    I don't mind paying more after HAP.

Hi Denge

Regarding landlords accepting HAP. In the first decision of its kind, the WRC ruled that the protection from discrimination extends to not only prospective tenants but also sitting tenants.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...ants-1.3192606

So in theory, you cannot be discriminated before or during a tenancy. A landlord must be registered with the RTB.

I don't know what is the cut-off point for council staff regarding payments, there is discretion on a case by case basis.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

denge_azadi - you need to talk to the local authority and figure how to proceed from here.
    Your current landlord cannot turn down HAP- however, your current property is significantly outside of the HAP limits (which are predicated on a number of factors- including your family size, and your after tax income).
    Honestly- your current rent- 1,800 per month- is the biggest issue here- its simply too far above the HAP exemption thresholds (still set at 20%)- that its unlikely the local authority will budge on it.

You need to make a case for an exemption from the HAP rules- as your current rent is simply too high for the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

Also, while there is a ruling from the WRC relating to discrimination, the landlord is not obligied to accept additional terms and conditions (i.e. HAP terms) over and above to what he offers to non HAP tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 elena1977

Gatling wrote: »

THATS EXACTLY MY PROBLEM CANT FIND ANY LANDLORD OR AGENCY WHO ACCEPT HAP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

elena1977 wrote: »
    THATS EXACTLY MY PROBLEM CANT FIND ANY LANDLORD OR AGENCY WHO ACCEPT HAP

No more posts in capital letters please- while you may not realise it- it is the internet equivalent to shouting/screaming at someone.
    Don't do it.

Advertisement