Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a small business - What should I ensure I have on my laptop

Options
  • 28-09-2016 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help? I am starting a small business and have a 3 or 4 year old Asus. Up until now I have only used it for internet etc. Just wondering if anyone could advise on what software I should invest in i.e Virus protection (currently AVG free), firewalls, Microsoft 365 (I'm assuming is a must). and/or anything else I should be looking out for. Thanks in advance.
    Also any advice on the best way to get a good business email. Should it be info@ companyname.ie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

For virus protection I usually go to https://www.av-test.org/en/ You can choose "home" or "business" solutions to compare.

You can start a 30 day office365 trial here, https://products.office.com/en-US/business/office-365-for-business-free-trial?linksrc=OfficeComBusTrial

After that it's $12.50 per user per month (starting at).

May I ask, what line of business is it? Will you be running payroll? (SAGE accounts).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jumpyone

Thanks, no I won't be running any accounts packages. Just using excel for these as I will be a soletrader with no employees. I have already got the 365 trial but am a bit concerned that any work I do from now will be unobtainable after the trial ends. I only really need Word and Excel (at the moment). My business is based outside the office. So its mainly for client records / small accounts etc. that I will need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Try one of the free office suites instead of office 365.
    Open office or Libre Office should do all you need.
    jumpyone wrote: »
    Thanks, no I won't be running any accounts packages. Just using excel for these as I will be a soletrader with no employees. I have already got the 365 trial but am a bit concerned that any work I do from now will be unobtainable after the trial ends. I only really need Word and Excel (at the moment). My business is based outside the office. So its mainly for client records / small accounts etc. that I will need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

For the email question what your saying is you want a domain email. You will have to buy a domain, even if you dont plan on having a website.
    Plenty of options out there. A small google search will point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Backup.

Backup.

Backup.

Oh and Freshbooks.com might be worth considering for your accounts and invoicing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

ED E wrote: »
    Backup.

Backup.

Backup.

Oh and Freshbooks.com might be worth considering for your accounts and invoicing.

+1 on the backup ... I was also told yesterday that https://www.bullethq.com/ is really, really good ... and free unless you grow to be a much larger company. I haven't looked at it yet myself, but it was an accounting trainer that told me about it.
    Try one of the free office suites instead of office 365.
    Open office or Libre Office should do all you need.

Yep Libre Office is pretty good. I have subscribed to Google Apps for Work and I'm paying €8pm for unlimited Google Drive, plus e-mail and all their bells and whistles. I don't use the Google Apps (Sheets, Docs, etc.) as such, as I don't collaborate with anyone, but I hear they beat M$FT in the collaboration space ... though M$FT are catching up slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

Could I ask for some more details about the business (what is it :) ) and yourself (is this to be full time job, future growth potential etc)? My advice for you at this stage really would depend a lot on these kinds of details. Be happy to add to the topic either way if you post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Make sure MS doesn't trigger some silly system update on this laptop on a busy morning (my option: switch to linux, also solves anti-virus problem). Try LibreOffice - I guess your small business isn't loaded with cash that you want to splash on software/services that are not essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

as PrzemoF suggested get linux mint or smth like that all free soft,granted it doesnt have the MS look but all files are readable and much more options for your needs-thus extra cash can go towards domain,email,hosting ,some sort of vodafone mifi 4g device to have wireless hotspot for yourself if on road.

and yes backup is important but if getting domain could setup some ftp server for starters,since mentioned excel so dont imagine files will be much beyond few mbs at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Enable encrytion on the laptop.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/234826/how-to-enable-full-disk-encryption-on-windows-10/
    Make sure theres maybe 2 accounts on the laptop.
    1 personal admin account for personal non business casual use .
    Account two for business records ,and client data .
    If the laptop is lost or stolen you don,t want anyone to be able to just see all your clients data .
    Setup 2 factor authentication on gmail or whatever email account provider you use for business .
    Have account logins setup , you must login to an account ,and put in a user password before windows loads
    up.
    IF You are used to using windows stay with it as linux programs are quite different .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

jumpyone wrote: »
    Hi

Microsoft 365 (I'm assuming is a must). and/or anything else I should be looking out for. Thanks in advance.
    Also any advice on the best way to get a good business email. Should it be info@ companyname.ie?

I would look at either Google Apps (now Google Suite) or Microsoft 365 as a must. I would probably go for Google over MS.
    Google Suite means no software installs required, business email, video conferencing, storage, access it from any device therefore if the laptop goes belly up you are covered on even a half decent smart phone to access data. You get yourname@yourcompany.com also
    You can do a 30 day trial with Google also to see how it fits
    However if you are used to MS products then you may be more comfortable with Outlook etc.

Make sure you back up all your documents even if you have it stored in the cloud etc. I would even suggest using Google Suite and maybe Box and back up to both locations as well as an external harddrive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

On google drive 12 gig approx storage is free or pay for more storage if you need it.

Advertisement