Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing Mont Blanc, anyone done it?

Options
  • 28-09-2016 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Like the titles says I'm considering ascending mont blanc and just wondering if any young irish people have hit it? I don't have any friends that would do it with me so id be alone in a group, which doesn't really bother me but i was wondering if anyone else had experienced this? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Have a search of the forum, there are a couple of threads already here with loads of info. Alpine climbing of any kind is worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ej2222

Cheers! Don't know what happened me that I thought there wouldn't be any threads already haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Im planning on doing it next year.

A lot of the guide companies do Grand Paradiso in Italy first and then Mt Blanc a few days after. Those companies seem to be pricier but you get to go above 4000 on two different mountains, so unless you just want to do Mt B to say youve done it I think its worth the money.

Im looking at it as an opportunity improve my mountain skills so aam leaning towards this option.

I'm sort of the same, I've walked a lot in the hills but this summer I trekked in Nepal and now I'm bitten by the bug and want to get a bit more experience at altitude, don't know how to prepare best for it or anything though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd practice moving roped up having a rope and harness and carrying loops. It takes a while not to get all tangled up/slow to get going again until you're methodical and used to it.
    and scrambling on more exposed ridges here - Beenkeragh to Carrauntuthail- aroung to the Big Gun to get used to exposure
    Or Carrot Ridge in Conemara
    Or up the South Prison of Lug.

I heard the Grand Couloir is a bit more hairy these days with falling rock, but haven't been in 15 years or so.
    Other than that the normal route isn't very difficult ( in good conditions - before the danger pedants jump on my back again)

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'm actually based in Florence this year so I'm hoping I'll have a chance to hit the alps a bit :) you sound like you're well travelled uphill haha I was thinking of trying it from the Italian side, but I'll have to look into it more.
    You've made me think I should try out some mountain skills courses and a few long weekends just walking in the alps before I get much further :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Monte Bianco is a much more serious proposition than Mont Blanc...

Advertisement