Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options
  • 27-09-2016 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

MOD NOTE:

The Xbox Gaming thread was starting to fill up with posts about 4k/HDR TVs, so I figured we should set up a thread dedicated to discussion of them. With the release of the Xbox One S, and the upcoming PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio, it's going to be a topic that's discussed more and more.

Here's a few resources and general information for anyone looking to buy a 4k/HDR tv:

4K is pretty well settled at this stage, but HDR isn't support on all 4k TVs yet, so that's something to watch out for.

Distance guide to see if you'll notice resolution difference.

quPcMPt.png

CatInABox

/MOD NOTE

I'm looking at getting a 4k HDR TV by Christmas to get the most out of the S now. The Samsung KS8000 seems to be the top of the range model right now but is a bit pricey for me (€1600+)

The best quality mixed with price model right now seems to be the Panasonic Viera DX700B going for about €769 for the 40"

I'm usually a fan of LG tv's but their current budget models aren't getting great reviews.

Has anyone got any other recommendations?

AceyBongos picked one of the Panasonic's up the other day too:

spBTRBi.png?1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting a 4k HDR TV by Christmas to get the most out of the S now. The Samsung KS8000 seems to be the top of the range model right now but is a bit pricey for me (€1600+)

The best quality mixed with price model right now seems to be the Panasonic Viera DX700B going for about €769 for the 40"

I'm usually a fan of LG tv's but their current budget models aren't getting great reviews.

Has anyone got any other recommendations?

AceyBongos picked one of the Panasonic's up the other day too:

spBTRBi.png?1

I have my eye on this....

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201974-ue40ku6000.aspx

€550 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    I have my eye on this....

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201974-ue40ku6000.aspx

€550 delivered

Oh very good, Argos have it for €569 too. I must investigate!

Argos have it for €569 too
    Oh they do? Nice one, cheers!

Oh they do? Nice one, cheers!

I have a question about Richer Sounds. They seem to get great reviews and I believe they give a 6 year warranty on most tvs?

The price you quoted is the sterling price. When you select Euro on their site, they obviously change it to the higher Irish vat rate too as it's €579 once you select €.

Will they sell them to us at the lower vat rate €550 instead of €579 in the case of this telly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

They have a fairly active presence here on boards, could ask them here

• Advertisement

I have a question about Richer Sounds. They seem to get great reviews and I believe they give a 6 year warranty on most tvs?

The price you quoted is the sterling price. When you select Euro on their site, they obviously change it to the higher Irish vat rate too as it's €579 once you select €.

Will they sell them to us at the lower vat rate €550 instead of €579 in the case of this telly?

My apologies, I didn't notice the Euro option.

I just took the £449, added £6.99 delivery, rounded up to £460 and converted to Euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

40 inch 4k? Wouldn't go less than 50 myself.

Bedroom setup. I'm no further than one metre from the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I bought a 4k LG off them in an open box sale a few months ago for €379 or something like that. Next day delivery and 6 year warranty.

I paid in Sterling using Revolut.

I have a few 4k displays of various sizes, massive difference on the big screens, negligible on the smaller tbh. Be very careful the display you choose supports the correct Hz - i had awful issues with a samsung uhd monitor refusing to display properly.

• Advertisement

Similar. "Games-room" setup,it will be sitting on top of a desk, imagine a 55" ffs :pac:

Never mind that, smaller than 50" is a waste for 4K. I can definitely appreciate the difference.

Similar. "Games-room" setup,it will be sitting on top of a desk, imagine a 55" ffs :pac:

Never mind that, smaller than 50" is a waste for 4K. I can definitely appreciate the difference.

You've sat in front of several to appreciate the difference? Fair enough if you have and have the money spare. Personally i wouldn't see a much benefit at all for the price.

Be very careful the display you choose supports the correct Hz - i had awful issues with a samsung uhd monitor refusing to display properly.
    Cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

richer sounds have a forum here on boards
    http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105

maximoose wrote: »
    They have a fairly active presence here on boards, could ask them here
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    richer sounds have a forum here on boards
    http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105

Yeah so Maximoose mentioned. I seen them on here before but was trying to be lazy and hope someone knew without asking myself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Yeah so Maximoose mentioned. I seen them on here before but was trying to be lazy and hope someone knew without asking myself :P

they do give discounts to boardies

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

If you're in no rush to get a tv it might be worthwhile holding out for Black Friday deals. I got a 50" 4K from Littlewoods that was reduced a lot and in the end cost me nothing (long story but I'm not complaining :D)

I was at Harvey Normans "VIP" night tonight where they have staff discount sales etc. Most of the prices I could get from richersounds for the same price or cheaper.

I got to have a look at the Panasonic I mentioned above, in person and I'd be very pleased with it.

I'm not in any rush, just plan on getting one before Christmas so I'll definitely have a look around on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was at Harvey Normans "VIP" night tonight where they have staff discount sales etc. Most of the prices I could get from richersounds for the same price or cheaper.

I got to have a look at the Panasonic I mentioned above, in person and I'd be very pleased with it.

I'm not in any rush, just plan on getting one before Christmas so I'll definitely have a look around on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Misky what about this?

http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/LG-43UH661V

Spotted it Argos reduced to €600 but one of the lads saw it slightly cheaper in RicherSounds but with a 6 year warranty.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Misky what about this?

Spotted it Argos reduced to €600 but one of the lads saw it slightly cheaper in RicherSounds but with a 6 year warranty.

I think all the TV's from Richersounds have 6 year guarantee, which is pretty decent of them.

The Panasonic one and that LG are both 8 bit panels, I might keep an eye out for a 10 bit HDR panel if they're going for lower than 1k. I probably won't be buying until Mid-November-December anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Xbox Gaming thread was starting to fill up with posts about 4k/HDR TVs, so I figured we should set up a thread dedicated to discussion of them. With the release of the Xbox One S, and the upcoming PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio, it's going to be a topic that's discussed more and more.

Here's a few resources and general information for anyone looking to buy a 4k/HDR tv:

4K is pretty well settled at this stage, but HDR isn't support on all 4k TVs yet, so that's something to watch out for.

Distance guide to see if you'll notice resolution difference.

quPcMPt.png

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Misky what about this?

Argos have some serious sales on TVs every so often. Well worth keeping an eye on the bargain alerts forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Oh, and if anyone has some generic advice for anyone looking to buy a 4K HDR TV, put it up here and I'll edit the first post so that it'll be the first thing they see(well, hopefully anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone know how I can find out the "bit" of my panel? :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Anyone know how I can find out the "bit" of my panel? :)

Google is your friend. What's the model #?

Google is your friend. What's the model #?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was on the specs page for my TV already, but I didn't see it mentioned!

http://www.sony.ie/support/en/content/cnt-specs/KD-55X8509C/list

I never heard of this spec type until a few weeks back, but I have the TV since February :)

marcbrophy wrote:
    I never heard of this spec type until a few weeks back, but I have the TV since February

displayspecifications.com/en/model/6045124 says its 10 bit :)

displayspecifications.com/en/model/6045124 says its 10 bit :)

Excellent, now to keep an eye on the One S bundles, hoping to get it at £200 like the others did at the weekend :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Excellent, now to keep an eye on the One S bundles, hoping to get it at £200 like the others did at the weekend :D

It's not as good but it's the best price right now. £210 without any games, parcel motel required.

http://www.simplygames.com/p/xbox-one-s-console--500gb-hdd-xbox-one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

I know Harvey's are a bit meh, but sometimes you can get a good deal on ex-display stuff.

I got an ex-display LG 55UF860V for €850 a couple of months back. Still has the original price tag of €2400 on the back!

4K, HDR, Harman Kardon sound. Mighty yoke. Plus it has passive 3D, which is handy for the cheap glasses for the kids.
    Does have a bit of dirty screen every so often, but for the money I'm not complaining.

Advertisement