Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭XsApollo

5 year warranty in curry's.
    Also have the Irish sale of goods act. :-P

Edit : 10 year warranty for screen burn I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

XsApollo wrote: »
    5 year warranty in curry's.
    Also have the Irish sale of goods act. :-P

Afaik the 5 year warranty in curry's is not a manufacturers warranty and instead is just one of their own. There is a big difference between the two tbh.

Also If their fb page is anything to go by Im not sure if their own warranty is worth the paper it's written on as they seem to have terrible customer service and lots of complaints.

The 10 year burn in warranty is a manufacturers warranty but it's for screen burn in only.

I'm not worried about warranties anyway,
    I know the law in this country and how to use it.
    Been down the road a few times.

XsApollo wrote: »
    I'm not worried about warranties anyway,
    I know the law in this country and how to use it.
    Been down the road a few times.

It's much more straight foward with a proper warranty though, especially with these newer tv's which are more delicate and more prone to going wrong.

Going down the sales of goods act road is more drawn out and in some cases might not be sucessful or as successful.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's much more straight foward with a proper warranty though, especially with these newer tv's which are more delicate and more prone to going wrong.

Going down the sales of goods act road is more drawn out and in some cases might not be sucessful or as successful.

I understand what your saying.
    I know a warranty is less hassle but at the end of the day we are
    Protected by the sales of goods act anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Have to say I've had a look at the edges and the bezel and its rock solid. Not something I'm concerned with. I tend to to get decades out of tvs while others get 5-8 years. I'd say a store model doesn't get the best care. Also being on all day long and prob on vivid setting isn't good. If were talking glue coming undone then excessive heat is not going to be good for it. Again not something I need to be worried about tbh.

Mine is wall mounted and won't be touched until it comes down, so we'll see how it holds up.

qrx wrote: »
    Have to say I've had a look at the edges and the bezel and its rock solid. Not something I'm concerned with. I tend to to get decades out of tvs while others get 5-8 years. I'd say a store model doesn't get the best care. Also being on all day long and prob on vivid setting isn't good. If were talking glue coming undone then excessive heat is not going to be good for it. Again not something I need to be worried about tbh.

Modern lcd sets don't seem to be lasting as long as crt tv's from days gone by. You could get 15-20 years out of a half decent crt, some high quality sets even lasted a lot longer 30+ years.

Lcd's imo last around 5-6 years before something like the backlight fails. Some do longer but many of the cheaper ones don't go the distance. Definitely turning down the brightness will prolong the lifespan of the backlight though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

qrx wrote: »
    Which is why I am still buying it.

It was just good to get a close look at the display model as that is as rough as a TV will get. Being powered on all day with no standby active for about about 8, 9 months. It was just the lower corners that were slightly loose. The rest was solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Anyone have this one as a budget one? 8 bit panel but 10 bit with that frc thing

http://powercity.ie/?par=10-14-49UH650

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Anyone have this one as a budget one? 8 bit panel but 10 bit with that frc thing

Have the 43" version, smashing set. 4K viewing is outstanding, HD viewing is outstanding and SD upscaling is extremely sharp. Works really well with Xbox One S, the built in apps work very well, it's light as a feather and it looks really nice. I bought mine in September and it cost me €590 which i thought was a very good price at the time, so i can only recommend the 49" for the same kinda string.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    For everyone's knowledge, I grabbed an LG 43UH650V in Argos yesterday for €599 https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5339178.htm

Ticks all the boxes, watched a bit of 4K content last night- everything excellent.

Played a bit of Destiny- some judder in the menu screen but that's to be expected given it is being upscaled.

Played around with the settings for a while and managed to reduce the judder, and I have yet to notice it in anything else game wise.

Sound off the actual set is terrific, not tinny at all. TV has a largeish footprint but will be wall hung. Viewing angles are impressive, but it's an IPS panel so expected to an extent. Obviously the 4K content looks superb, as does HD content, however I was surprised by how good the SD looked, not amazingly brilliant but a massive step up from my 39" LCD panel, and even the current main 40" LED.

Overall very pleased. Word of warning though if anyone does take the plunge: it needs an update straight away and then for the HDMI DEEP COLOUR to be turned on. I also noticed that HDMI 2 has ARC which I understand is for sound to a soundbar or such.

See above for my original 24 hour review. My impressions of the set have only gotten better over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

That's me sold so :)

I am picking that up tomorrow.

Was going to get the Samsung mentioned but no headphone jack the questions about the build put me off

I really don't need a top of the rage one. Its a games room TV after all. No question the samsung looks great but also near double the price

Couldn't really find any online reviews for the lg but I will take your word for it

Was going to get the Samsung mentioned but no headphone jack the questions about the build put me off

I really don't need a top of the rage one. Its a games room TV after all. No question the samsung looks great but also near double the price

Couldn't really find any online reviews for the lg but I will take your word for it

Check for reviews for LG43UH6500, most sites have the US model reviewed, no difference except for model number. One of the other lads on the forum bought the tv on the strength of my recommendation and is very very happy.

Just bear in mind that the input lag on 2016 lg tv's has in general been poor so it's something to look into if gaming is important to you.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Just bear in mind that the input lag on 2016 lg tv's has in general been poor so it's something to look into if gaming is important to you.

I did read that before buying, there was an update about 6 weeks ago and while i don't know if it was anything specifically to do with lag compensation, it certainly improved matters. I have found it to be very good for gaming.

Here's an up to date review on rtings- the numbers here are definitely better since i originally looked at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Be careful what you read out there on the internet. Before buying I was sifting through owner forums until I realised some people were constantly complaining and never happy. Some even returning TVs 4 or 5 times!!

Stick to professional reviews and don't worry about things going wrong. Bad things can happen, no matter what TV brand you go for. Sometimes you just get unlucky with a dud. These scare stories shouldn't be a factor in your decision, unless as I say the professional opinion is that the design is flawed and in that case you'll usually see a recall.

fwiw, the TV you've picked looks good to me (an unprofessional opinion!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I swear to God you lads will be the death of me. Reading thru this thread the last few days,and today I went and bought the ks7000. And I don't have the one s!! And now I have to go and buy a new bloody stand for it!....
    Sure YouTube 4k will keep me happy till the new Xbox comes out, right lads..... Right lads??!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭dunworth1

deco nate wrote: »
    I swear to God you lads will be the death of me. Reading thru this thread the last few days,and today I went and bought the ks7000. And I don't have the one s!! And now I have to go and buy a new bloody stand for it!....
    Sure YouTube 4k will keep me happy till the new Xbox comes out, right lads..... Right lads??!

pewdepie in 4k :o

Netflix will anyway

dunworth1 wrote: »
    pewdepie in 4k :o

Netflix will anyway

Jeez no! Plenty of people posting 4k videos nowadays :)

Feck playing top dollar for a few 4k shows

• Advertisement

Where did you buy it from?

I am looking for one now but a lot of places are sold out.

Of course, if you DID buy a One S you would have the lowest available gaming input lag @21ms...... just saying....

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

ibFoxer wrote:
    Of course, if you DID buy a One S you would have the lowest available gaming input lag @21ms...... just saying....

DO IT!!!

.....Just saying ;)

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    DO IT!!!

.....Just saying ;)

Sir, your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Where did you buy it from?

I am looking for one now but a lot of places are sold out.

I got mine in DID bray, 999 euro. Harvey Norman in blanch have some a good few DID have them I think

Today I went down to DID and had a good look at two TVs. The 55 inch Samsung KS7000 and the 58 inch Panasonic DX802b.

Both awesome TVs. I know I am definitely purchasing the 55 inch Samsung KS7000 but I can't help being impressed with the Panasonic DX802b. The image looks super. If it was a TV I was buying only for movies and other TV content I'd buy it.

The colours pop a little bit more on the KS7000.

I got mine in DID bray, 999 euro. Harvey Norman in blanch have some a good few DID have them I think
    Ah, I see where I went wrong. I am looking for the 55 inch model.

Today I went down to DID and had a good look at two TVs. The 55 inch Samsung KS7000 and the 58 inch Panasonic DX802b.

Both awesome TVs. I know I am definitely purchasing the 55 inch Samsung KS7000 but I can't help being impressed with the Panasonic DX802b. The image looks super. If it was a TV I was buying only for movies and other TV content I'd buy it.

That super low input lag is a huge bonus tbh, I think if I was buying another I'd probably go for the KS7000.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    That super low input lag is a huge bonus tbh, I think if I was buying another I'd probably go for the KS7000.

I have to compensate for my own gaming inadequacies so the lower the input lag the better :D

Ah, I see where I went wrong. I am looking for the 55 inch model.

The build on the panasonic is a good bit better. The hdr might not be as good on paper but in the real world I think the Panasonic is the better of the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

JohnBoy26 wrote:
    The build on the panasonic is a good bit better. The hdr might not be as good on paper but in the real world I think the Panasonic is the better of the two.

Even if it's primarily for gaming?

Advertisement