Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Even if it's primarily for gaming?

All the reviews I read said the ks7000 was better for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The build on the panasonic is a good bit better. The hdr might not be as good on paper but in the real world I think the Panasonic is the better of the two.

The Panasonic is definitely impressive and has a better build quality but I wouldn't say its the best out of the two from what I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Even if it's primarily for gaming?

The samsung has better input lag so it's going to be a bit more responsive but not by much. I just think the panasonic is a better all around performer even if it can't match the sammy on paper. It's just my opinion.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The samsung has better input lag so it's going to be a bit more responsive but not by much. I just think the panasonic is a better all around performer even if it can't match the sammy on paper. It's just my opinion.

Samsung smarts have a plex client on the app store which can be a big plus

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Of course, if you DID buy a One S you would have the lowest available gaming input lag @21ms...... just saying....

Will still have 21ms lag with the Xbox :)

• Advertisement

Build quality issues are mentioned at 0.50 in this video. The KS8000 is the 7000 here.

Build quality issues are mentioned at 0.50 in this video. The KS8000 is the 7000 here.

Good glue guns are cheap as chips nowadays...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

People are getting too hung up on Input lag. Fair enough if it's 55ms or similar you might notice it a bit but once you come down to the 30's which is most the mid range tv's out there in Game Mode the average joe is not even going to notice it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Samsung smarts have a plex client on the app store which can be a big plus
    Yes this was a big factor in my decision. I prefer to download rather than stream and this plays 4K content just lovely :) Saved me having to upgrade my HTPC video card too.

People are getting too hung up on Input lag. Fair enough if it's 55ms or similar you might notice it a bit but once you come down to the 30's which is most the mid range tv's out there in Game Mode the average joe is not even going to notice it.

But could you say it's also a sign of raw quality of a TV if it looks good without all the post processing that's done nowadays? Or maybe I misunderstand and they still do a lot of it it's just Samsung firmware is just faster?

Another factor (even though I don't have a One S...yet) is you can enable gaming mode while HDR is on. Other TV's and even on the old firmware of this one you have to go into movie mode. You're talking 100+ ms lag.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone buying a 4K tv for gaming primarily is going to buy one with 100+ ms but the average consumer is not going to notice 30-40ms input lag.

Where did you buy it from?

I am looking for one now but a lot of places are sold out.

I had the same problem. My local currys even has a waiting list. I got mine in currys in swords in the end. Go into your local store and get them to check the stock of other stores. The website will say out of stock when the stock gets low, even though there might be 2 or 3 left. There were 4 left in swords last week when I got mine.

I don't think anyone buying a 4K tv for gaming primarily is going to buy one with 100+ ms but the average consumer is not going to notice 30-40ms input lag.

But it won't say 100ms. They'll advertise 22-30ms in gaming mode and just don't mention that if you want HDR you have to switch to movie mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

On my Panasonic DX802B the lag is 44ms and have no problems whatsoever playing games on it so far with the Ps4 pro In 4k HDR mode.

Being honest I don't really play multiple player online games anymore as I just don't have the time anymore due to work and other things in my life I am just lucky to get my single player games ha.

I went for the Panasonic over the samsung as I found the Panasonic to be a way better tv from what I seen in stores with countless testing and the fact I had a Panasonic gt 20 for nearly 5 years before I sold and replaced it with that LG.... (big mistake) and the Panasonic never gave me issues touch wood and that's why I went back to Panasonic and the fact it's also a way better looking tv and have a built in 40w soindbar

Honestly, i think people who want a 4K display for gaming and think that input lag is the most important thing then they should just buy a 4K monitor instead. I know you can't get HDR on a monitor yet but people just seem to think that input lag is going to ruin games for them when it's not (unless your display has 60+ms input lag).

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Honestly, i think people who want a 4K display for gaming and think that input lag is the most important thing then they should just buy a 4K monitor instead. I know you can't get HDR on a monitor yet but people just seem to think that input lag is going to ruin games for them when it's not (unless your display has 60+ms input lag).

But it's the HDR that's the attraction more so than the 4K I think, with regards to gaming.

I don't think people think it's the most important thing. It's just another factor in the decision. I agree 30-45ms is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I am sorry no one cares in the real world only us the small market who care about the input lag for games.

As i sold a gaming monitor there a few months ago it had a 1MS lag time on it that was a hard sell to people as they where comparing it to cheaper ones on adverts that the specs where shocking on and saying thats cheaper while my own was designed for games ha.

I sold it after to someone who works in computers like myself as he complete understood the spec and agree on the price with in 5 mins

Just to let people know the AVG person buying this stuff does not care sadly. Me and you here on boards do but the AVG TV buyer does not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Having gotten an Elite Controller at Christmas and still being crap at games, it must be the input latency on my TV that's to blame. :)

In fairness, the One S looks great on my Samsung KU6400 (in game mode) very little latency. The only thing is that even though it has HDR, it's only an 8-bit display so you don't get the true benefits of HDR that you would on a 10-bit display.

Games, Netflix and TV look great on it though (even Red Dead from Donkeys years ago).

I mentioned over on the PS forum about HDR implementation in games. I think a lot of it is how well it's implemented. Uncharted 4 looks better without HDR enabled in my opinion but when i play Forza Horizon 3 with HDR enabled it looks so much better than when it's disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Got the lg uh50v today, the one mentioned earlier. Tried the oa and it looks great. Not sure about everything else as I haven't tried yet.

Hdr effect looks very dark on you tube videos too actually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Got the lg uh50v today, the one mentioned earlier. Tried the oa and it looks great. Not sure about everything else as I haven't tried yet.

Hdr effect looks very dark on you tube videos too actually

The 650v? Did you do the update? Needs to be downloaded from the LG website here onto a USB and installed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Yea done the update. Have the gaming mode now. 40.30.70 update I think.

Have to play around with the settings but not fully sure what im doing yet ha

Got the KS7000 a few days ago. Its awesome.

Forza looks incredible on it with HDR enabled. Gaming mode works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

have you played any twitch shooters on it yet? I'd be interested to see if you notice anything in terms of input lag. I've decided to hold off till next year myself but I like to see what way people find things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

As much as I want a KS7000 - especially at current price, I've decided to hold off for a year too (provided the trusty old sammy lasts!).
    I won't be buying the one s, scorpio is a definite possibility though.
    Any 4k netflix/amazon will surely require more than the 10meg adsl that we currently have and I'm not increasing outgoings while mrsTeal is on mat leave.
    Similar story with upgrading to sky Q from plus.
    I also have queries about SD upscaling - all our sports channels are still SD and BT looks particularly poor on a 720p screen already

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Where'd you get it man, and how much?
    I'm aiming to get the 49" model by the end of next month...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Where'd you get it man, and how much?
    I'm aiming to get the 49" model by the end of next month...

£850 up the road in Richersounds when I popped in at the weekend. Sooooooo tempted (it would probably lead to divorce though. . . .nah I better not)

I got it from Richer Sounds for €1,249 for the 55 inch model.

I haven't tested it in a twitch shooter yet. I expect to perform well because it's listed input lag is lower than my previous Samsung TV. I'll play some Rainbow 6 later and report on that.

I subbed to Netflix 4k. According to their website they recommend a connection with at least 25mb download speed. Their 4k content and standard HD content looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I subbed to Netflix 4k. According to their website they recommend a connection with at least 25mb download speed. Their 4k content and standard HD content looks great.

Daredevil in 4k! You've probably watched it already, even so it's worth a rewatch in 4k goodness! :D

Advertisement