Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Daredevil in 4k! You've probably watched it already, even so it's worth a rewatch in 4k goodness! :D
    Actually. I haven't watched that series at all yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

You're in for a delicious treat my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    You're in for a delicious treat my friend.

Narcos is 4k as well I think? Sweet sweet columbian scenery

Narcos is 4k as well I think? Sweet sweet columbian scenery
    Watched it. Fantastic in 4K. Colours in Narcos really pop.

I played Rainbow 6 tonight and as expected no issues with input lag. Worked great. The upscaler on the Xbox One S does a great job. The image looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Well, my 49" KS7000 arrived yesterday from richersounds.ie

Holy mother of mercy, mind blowing!!!

I've played Gears 4 and Forza H3 on it since getting it, and I've just sat there laughing at how ridiculously good they look!

In fairness, it's quite the upgrade for me. I was coming off a 10 year old 32" 720p Bush.

I honestly don't know myself. Thrilled beyond belief!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Well, my 49" KS7000 arrived yesterday from richersounds.ie

Holy mother of mercy, mind blowing!!!

I've played Gears 4 and Forza H3 on it since getting it, and I've just sat there laughing at how ridiculously good they look!

In fairness, it's quite the upgrade for me. I was coming off a 10 year old 32" 720p Bush.

I honestly don't know myself. Thrilled beyond belief!

Good to hear, have you checked online for optimal settings? Rtings usually a good shout

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Dont bother with Season 2 tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Good to hear, have you checked online for optimal settings? Rtings usually a good shout

Here's a great video from Digital Foundry on how to set-up your KS7000 for gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsTHtQ8hI1U

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

Here's another on how to set-up HDR correctly on your KS7000 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rMovlvGGrg

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I did indeed! Infact, I'd watched both those DF vids that McGooch posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

joe123 wrote:
    Dont bother with Season 2 tho!

Blasphemy!

Ghost Recon Wildlands is definitely a HDR supported game. Just playing the beta and its looks awesome.

not 4k or HDR related, but In a fit of madness last friday night, when the Rainbow 6 servers were down, I picked up a 24" ASUS monitor for 100 pounds on an amazon warehouse deal. It arrived yesterday and I'm genuinely blown away by the difference between the image quality in comparison with my old 50" plasma.

I know that part of it is simply down to me sitting much closer to the screen, but the overall sharpness of the image and how much detail that can be seen on individual textures is night and day different to before.

I tested it with Halo 5, Rainbow 6, Gears 4 and The Division, its like the difference between having motion blur turned off when you'd had it on for years. Even the tiles on the dashboard look look so much sharper in comparison to how they were before.

I'll still get a 4K tv, probably around this time next year, but for 130 euros all in, this is a fantastic interim measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

not 4k or HDR related, but In a fit of madness last friday night, when the Rainbow 6 servers were down, I picked up a 24" ASUS monitor for 100 pounds on an amazon warehouse deal. It arrived yesterday and I'm genuinely blown away by the difference between the image quality in comparison with my old 50" plasma.

I know that part of it is simply down to me sitting much closer to the screen, but the overall sharpness of the image and how much detail that can be seen on individual textures is night and day different to before.

I tested it with Halo 5, Rainbow 6, Gears 4 and The Division, its like the difference between having motion blur turned off when you'd had it on for years. Even the tiles on the dashboard look look so much sharper in comparison to how they were before.

I'll still get a 4K tv, probably around this time next year, but for 130 euros all in, this is a fantastic interim measure.
    Link? Been looking for a monitor myself as cant afford new TV atm

Link? Been looking for a monitor myself as cant afford new TV atm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B014RKZ81O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486588790&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=asus+monitor+24+inch&dpPl=1&dpID=51Tm-DFTabL&ref=plSrch

That's the one. Mine was from a warehouse deal, apparently it's marked at the base, but I've given it a good look over and can't find anything. It came in proper Asus box and all.

I highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B014RKZ81O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486588790&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=asus+monitor+24+inch&dpPl=1&dpID=51Tm-DFTabL&ref=plSrch

That's the one. Mine was from a warehouse deal, apparently it's marked at the base, but I've given it a good look over and can't find anything. It came in proper Asus box and all.

I highly recommend it.

Actually - one important point - that monitor doesn't have built in speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

A monitor for the Xbox makes perfect sense. I think ill go that route for the Scorpio.

qrx wrote: »
    A monitor for the Xbox makes perfect sense. I think ill go that route for the Scorpio.
    I'd recommend a 4k TV for the Scorpio. The prices for 4k TVs have dropped quite a bit in the last 6 months.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I use my xbox on a 1440p 144hz 27" g-sync monitor :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    HDMI to display port adapter?

Do you have the Xbox One S?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I highly recommend it.

Actually - one important point - that monitor doesn't have built in speakers.
    Cheers looks good! Have some external speakers so that wouldn't be an issue! Will need to wait for the next payday though

I'd recommend a 4k TV for the Scorpio. The prices for 4k TVs have dropped quite a bit in the last 6 months.

Yeah, thats my thinking too, hopefully OLED will be at a price range that I could justify when push comes to shove.

also, @Qrx - you wont get HDR on a monitor unless you spend megabucks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

HDMI to display port adapter?

Do you have the Xbox One S?

No, bog standard xbox one. Monitor has a regular hdmi port so no adapter needed.

Currently on lightening sale.

Panasonic TX-50DX700B 50-inch - 4K

£579.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CEBQSWQ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Had a stroll around Currys yesterday. "Just happened to stroll by" the Sony ks7000. MrsTeal now understands :)

Still no panic as we've no real 4k sources yet but I can see the Scorpio release being quite an expensive time for us.......excellent!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

theteal wrote: »
    Had a stroll around Currys yesterday. "Just happened to stroll by" the Sony ks7000. MrsTeal now understands :)

Still no panic as we've no real 4k sources yet but I can see the Scorpio release being quite an expensive time for us.......excellent!

All the more reason to get the TV now, tbh. By the time the Scorpio comes out, your bank balance will be looking okay again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Yeah I took the plunge recently. I think I have the same as you, Samsung 55". Problem is it's the living room TV. Xbox is in another room. Plan was to hook up the Scorpio to it and keep xbox one + 1080p TV as a 2nd set up. But now I'm thinking I'd rarely get to play it with it being the main TV in the house.
    @Qrx - you wont get HDR on a monitor unless you spend megabucks.
    Ah ok, didn't realise that. That's a pity, there's so much extra baggage in a TV that's just going to be disabled to make it as monitor-like as possible. I would have thought a monitor would be cheaper as its basically a TV without all the extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So what do we think of the new breed of 4K TVs?

A few of the manufacturers have their 2017 models out. Prices are obviously sky high as they've just been released.

I've my eye on the Sony XE9005. It'll be end of the year/Scorpio release before I give it serious thought though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Mickeroo wrote: »

What resolution does it display at?

I have a 27" 1440P, 144Hz, freesync monitor but I use my Xbox One on my old 1080P monitor

Advertisement