Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Pointless buying a 4K HDR Tv at the minute if you plan on getting a scorpio as it supports Freesync 2 so best bet is wait for a freesync 2 Tv or monitor to be released and buy but tbh I'd say they will be pretty expensive in the first cycle of release and over time they will most likely drop in price.

And Freesync is totally worth it as I have one on my PC monitor and I find I hardly notice the difference of 60Hz to 90 and even 144Hz but there is a massive difference with freesync enabled.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What resolution does it display at?

I have a 27" 1440P, 144Hz, freesync monitor but I use my Xbox One on my old 1080P monitor

I actually have no idea, it looks great on it at any rate so I think it's probably upscaled to 1080p. Its more down to convenience than anything since I have the pc and Xbox in the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Mighty tempted by both of these Samsung or LG but i might as well be looking into a field of thistles- any and all advice greatly appreciated :)

Funny, I've been shopping around and have come down to these exact 2 TVs also. Can I ask why you went with the LG over the Samsung? I was set on the LG until I saw the Samsung at the same price. I've seen the Samsung for 550 with Richer Sounds and the LG for 550 in Power City so it's not a question of price difference for me.

Criteria for me is:
    • >= 3 HDMI 2 ports
    • <= 43 inch
    • Ethernet port
    • Smart TV with netflix, youtube, etc

Or if anyone has any other concerns or considerations they'd like to share with me please shout!

40 - 43 inch is a wife imposed limitation by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Funny, I've been shopping around and have come down to these exact 2 TVs also. Can I ask why you went with the LG over the Samsung? I was set on the LG until I saw the Samsung at the same price. I've seen the Samsung for 550 with Richer Sounds and the LG for 550 in Power City so it's not a question of price difference for me.

Criteria for me is:
    • >= 3 HDMI 2 ports
    • <= 43 inch
    • Ethernet port
    • Smart TV with netflix, youtube, etc

Or if anyone has any other concerns or considerations they'd like to share with me please shout!

40 - 43 inch is a wife imposed limitation by the way...

It was cheaper, and had a slightly better response time, which has been improved since the update for HDR game mode. Also the model I went for, the 6500, was reviewed well and fairly highly for something in my size/price bracket.

This might be worth a look for you though- highly rated by a lot of boardsies- https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E6GS0PA/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_api_A3Idzb1V630W4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Thoughts on this?

Any glaring reasons to not buy? Seems good at €409

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,049 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

maximoose wrote: »
    Thoughts on this?

I've reserved one and think I'll pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

emmetkenny wrote: »

Seems to be out of stock everywhere now.

I've one reserved too and debating it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Thoughts on this?

Yep, HDR10, low response time, ambilight is a nice feature. If you can find one I would, you’re going to be hard pressed to get something for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hangar18_

Thoughts on this?

I would not recommend this as i got one in argos last xmas very bad light bleed random power on and off plus slow interface that was my experience with it for five days. I returned to argos and got a panasonic dx700

• Advertisement

Cheers, I had talked myself out of it I think already. A little patience I think there'll be good deals towards the end of the year

If anyone wants a reservation code for Swords let me know Gone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I used that TV and echo the other poster. It was so damn slow and clunky going through the menus, it just got frustrating.

Tinie wrote: »
    I used that TV and echo the other poster. It was so damn slow and clunky going through the menus, it just got frustrating.

How about having the Philips just for Xbox? I won't be using it for anything else and won't be even have the volume up.

How about having the Philips just for Xbox? I won't be using it for anything else and won't be even have the volume up.

Well it will be more than adequate for that, I just wouldn't use it as a smart TV persay as the Android features on it were so slow and going through the menus wasn't much better. But yeah it'll be fine for gaming etc as you wont be using the tv menus much.

Tinie wrote: »
    Well it will be more than adequate for that, I just wouldn't use it as a smart TV persay as the Android features on it were so slow and going through the menus wasn't much better. But yeah it'll be fine for gaming etc as you wont be using the tv menus much.

Yea think I will buy for the One S and then I'll have it for the One X.

Still using a Panasonic 1080 screen in the sitting room for sky at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

So the TV in the sitting room has decided it wants to retire.
    I am looking at getting this to replace it http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/jvc-lt43c862-smart-4k-ultra-hd-43-led-tv/334120/404.0.4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

So the TV in the sitting room has decided it wants to retire.
    I am looking at getting this to replace it http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/jvc-lt43c862-smart-4k-ultra-hd-43-led-tv/334120/404.0.4
    Whats your budget and screen size preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

I have the 43" of that myself now. Lovely TV, and the HDR update works well. Often can pick them up on the warehouse open boxes for around €300 for those that missed this deal.

Budget is €400 but we can push it to €500
    Nothing bigger than 48" though, tbh I havent really heard of HiSense before.
    I have seen them in shops but never really thought much about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

One of the biggest manufacturers in the world. They supply most of China.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I have seen them in shops but never really thought much about them

I wouldn't have bought one before but after seeing it in person I was very impressed.

They bought Sharp in the States too.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

How is the HDR on them hisense ones lads? Is it HDR 10 or 8 or is there much of a difference. I won't be getting one for a few months but would like to know if I should save an extra bit for a higher end model or get one of these and a ps4 pro

How is the HDR on them hisense ones lads? Is it HDR 10 or 8 or is there much of a difference. I won't be getting one for a few months but would like to know if I should save an extra bit for a higher end model or get one of these and a ps4 pro

You wont get a 10 bit HDR panel for sub €1000. All these cheaper budget panels, this philips one and the hisense included, are enabled by software. The hisense HDR is a good feature for my xbox one s anyway, works well.

I won't be able to collect the Philips TV in Argos Carlow if anyone wants the code?

http://www.checkargos.com/product/5288906

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ive been very close to jumping on a few of the cheap panel lately, but I'm still a little gun shy of buying a midrange panel and not being happy with it. it doesnt help matter that a lot of the panels have different model numbers in the states and its hard to figure out exactly whats what when looking at reviews. At this stage I'm half tempted to stick with my 1080 gaming monitor for another while until things settle down a small bit. While I could always upgrade a telly in one of the other rooms, the place where my xbox lives is the only room that can realistically take a 50 or 55" tv without looking ridiculous.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5389805/Trail/searchtext%3EGREAT+OFFERS+ON+SELECTED+4K+TELEVISIONS.htm

that set for example seems like a good buy, but its hard to find info the input lag or whether or not game mode disables HDR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

I won't be able to collect the Philips TV in Argos Carlow if anyone wants the code?

http://www.checkargos.com/product/5288906

Can I get this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I highly recommend AVForums for 4K TV reviews.

They have a great youtube channel where they review TVs and with each review they also colour calibrate the display and share those settings with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

ive been very close to jumping on a few of the cheap panel lately, but I'm still a little gun shy of buying a midrange panel and not being happy with it.

If it helps any, you could pay top money for a set and not be happy with it either! Plenty have.

• Advertisement

Still looking around for a TV, just seen this one in Argos and I have it reserved

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5487673/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780832%7CTelevisions%7C14419667.htm

Seems to be the last 1 too
    €413 48" Ultra HD Smart TV Hitachi

Advertisement