Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Still looking around for a TV, just seen this one in Argos and I have it reserved

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5487673/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780832%7CTelevisions%7C14419667.htm

Seems to be the last 1 too
    €413 48" Ultra HD Smart TV Hitachi
    The Hisense 4k on Amazon would be far better than this and a little cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Still looking around for a TV, just seen this one in Argos and I have it reserved

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5487673/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780832%7CTelevisions%7C14419667.htm

Seems to be the last 1 too
    €413 48" Ultra HD Smart TV Hitachi

To echo what Tinie said, I bought one of these when they were €340 ish, great set in fairness for watching 4K/1080p Netflix, pretty good for SD content too, and where it is in the living room there’s no real need for HDR etc. For gaming you could do a lot better- any of the Hisense 3300 series have HDR and would be an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So we had made the decision to wait until the end of the year to check prices when a new telly would go nice with the One X.

At a loose end today, we said lets go to Currys to look at fridges and washing machines for the new house (hopefully in the next 4 weeks but no date set yet). While there, "we might as well have a look at the tellies to see the lay of the land", says I. To my surprise, I happen across a Panasonic 58DX902B, "clearance" price of £1099.97. "That one is £1500 at Richersounds", I point to mrsTeal, "best LED on the market last year". "That picture is really good. Screw it, let's get it" she responds in what was obviously a joke, right?

It'll be delivered on Tuesday :eek::eek::D:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

theteal wrote: »
    So we had made the decision to wait until the end of the year to check prices when a new telly would go nice with the One X.

At a loose end today, we said lets go to Currys to look at fridges and washing machines for the new house (hopefully in the next 4 weeks but no date set yet). While there, "we might as well have a look at the tellies to see the lay of the land", says I. To my surprise, I happen across a Panasonic 58DX902B, "clearance" price of £1099.97. "That one is £1500 at Richersounds", I point to mrsTeal, "best LED on the market last year". "That picture is really good. Screw it, let's get it" she responds in what was obviously a joke, right?

Nice! Or another way to think about it, £500 savings is basically a free xbox one x :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

The same one is around €1300 ex-display in Currys in Mahon Point, and you can take it away today!
    Was gonna buy it myself, but bought an LG OLED55E6 instead! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Soarer wrote: »
    The same one is around €1300 ex-display in Currys in Mahon Point, and you can take it away today!

I wouldn't touch an ex-display model TV when we are talking about decent money.

They usually come with little to no guarantee. Probably been on the floor for over a year with all the settings on max everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I wouldn't touch an ex-display model TV when we are talking about decent money.

They usually come with little to no guarantee. Probably been on the floor for over a year with all the settings on max everyday.

Richersounds give a six year guarantee on their ex display units so there's a piece of mind there.

I purposely made sure there wasn't just the display model left. Luckily there was one in the store room as well as the display. I wouldn't take a display model - especially a year old display model.

I'm afraid of screen burn, so OLED is not on my radar
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    Richersounds give a six year guarantee on their ex display units so there's a piece of mind there.

I really don't think they do. In fact, this page says 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I purposely made sure there wasn't just the display model left. Luckily there was one in the store room as well as the display. I wouldn't take a display model - especially a year old display model.

I'm afraid of screen burn, so OLED is not on my radar

I really don't think they do. In fact, this page says 12 months

I got 6 years with my ex display so I think they do with all of them.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,461 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Guys,

Just for clarity - that Richer sounds link you posted if for the UK site on a specific clearance model.

On www.richersounds.ie ( IE Richer Sounds Ireland) We offer a 6 year warranty on just about EVERY TV we sell now unless very clearly stated otherwise.

Thanks as ever,

( and yep it WAS a killer price on that 58DX902! Fair play and I'm sure someone slipped on the ticketing machine! :D )

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

The LG OLED65C6V is reduced to €2320 in Curry's Mahon Point.

I know it's a lot of cash, but for a 65" OLED it's fair cheap.

Plus it comes with a 5 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm not overly tech savvy so any thoughts on this TV are greatly appreciated.

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202654-43n5700.aspx

HISENSE
    43N5700
    43 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview HD

When the Xbox One X comes out, will this do the job? Seems a good price and I've seen people recommend Hisense on here before so if anybody's tried out this TV would you recommend pulling the trigger?

Already have a PS Pro so I'm sure this will cater for 4K gaming too right?

6 year warranty is also a pretty big plus.

The LG OLED65C6V is reduced to €2320 in Curry's Mahon Point.

I know it's a lot of cash, but for a 65" OLED it's fair cheap.

Plus it comes with a 5 year warranty.

This bad boy is now reduced to €1610.

Silly cheap now, especially with the 5 year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Anyone have a recommendation for something around 49-50 inch that won't break the bank?

mcgovern wrote: »
    Anyone have a recommendation for something around 49-50 inch that won't break the bank?

Give us a ballpark figure?

Generally speaking, Hisense look to be doing the best mid-range options. At this stage, I'd probably wait until end of year for the prices come down.

Give us a ballpark figure?

Generally speaking, Hisense look to be doing the best mid-range options. At this stage, I'd probably wait until end of year for the prices come down.

I could go to about €1000, current TV is on its last legs so not sure I can wait til the end of the year.

I could go to about €1000, current TV is on its last legs so not sure I can wait til the end of the year.

Hold on until the end of the year and get this. Check a few reviews e.g. rtings.com, avforums etc. There's nothing better until you start adding quite a bit more money.

Hold on until the end of the year and get this. Check a few reviews e.g. rtings.com, avforums etc. There's nothing better until you start adding quite a bit more money.

Thanks for the advice, not sure the missus will be happy to wait that long unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice, not sure the missus will be happy to wait that long unfortunately.

I was just flicking around Richersounds Irish site (sitting on my todd in a hotel in Scotland, what else are you to do?!) and I notice they still advertise the Pana DX802B for €999. Very, very good telly BUT the stand is the fugliest thing they possibly could have come up with. Get a 3rd party stand or wall mount and you're laughing.

Also, the PS4 version of this thread seems to be a fair bit busier than here. Worth asking there. I can only advise based on my research of the last 6 months which is heavily clouded by my hatred of LG. . . .and Samsung of this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

anyone using a WQHD monitor? I'd rather get a monitor with > FHD for my home office that I was also thinking of using for the Xbox. Does it look ok upscaled?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Be careful if you're going to buy a 4K monitor for use with a console. A lot of them won't work with consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Be careful if you're going to buy a 4K monitor for use with a console. A lot of them won't work with consoles.

unless you spend mad money, you're not getting HDR either, somewhat negating the value of a monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Scruff wrote: »
    anyone using a WQHD monitor? I'd rather get a monitor with > FHD for my home office that I was also thinking of using for the Xbox. Does it look ok upscaled?

One of the moderators on here(not a xbox mod) is using one on the original Xbox One and he said he had no problems. I have one as well but I only use it for PC gaming as I still have my old 1080p monitor that I use for the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭geo88

In what way will they not work? Is it about input lag being high or something else completely different?

geo88 wrote: »
    In what way will they not work? Is it about input lag being high or something else completely different?

Disregard that. It's 1440p monitors where you'd have a problem.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Disregard that. It's 1440p monitors where you'd have a problem.

Why's that? I use one with mine. Some of the X enhanced games are going to allow the option of 1440p apparently.

Some of them can't downscale from 4K properly apparently. Was watching a review of the new AOC 32" monitor on PC Centric and he mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

I was just flicking around Richersounds Irish site (sitting on my todd in a hotel in Scotland, what else are you to do?!) and I notice they still advertise the Pana DX802B for €999. Very, very good telly BUT the stand is the fugliest thing they possibly could have come up with. Get a 3rd party stand or wall mount and you're laughing.

I have 58" version of this since January. I actually like the stand and in any case, you get used to it very quickly. You can also remove it and use a 3rd party stand.

We use it mostly for HD TV, UHD Netflix etc. but my son uses for Xbox with no complaints (looks amazing to me).There is a 'game' mode but we don't tend to use it as no FPS or framerate-critical games really.

I initially had sound going through a receiver with KEF LS50 speakers and a sub but recently 'downgraded' to the supplied sound bar and it's actually perfectly adequate, if somewhat bass-light.

My first unit failed within 2 weeks (panel fault) but dealer replaced immediately (200% service from my local Expert store - you can't beat buying local even if it costs a tad more) and I got a 5 year warranty at the time so happy days.

There's an excellent video guide on avforums.com showing exactly how to configure for best settings and with those dialled in, content looks amazing though if I recall correctly, while this set does do HDR, it doesn't have the latest and greatest standards - I was happy enough to make this compromise at the time over the Samsung KS9000(?) which was smaller and more expensive.

My only problem is, initially I was worried about moving from a 40" to a 58" as it looked huge in the room. Now I feel it's a bit small.....

meep wrote: »
    I have 58" version of this since January. I actually like the stand and in any case, you get used to it very quickly. You can also remove it and use a 3rd party stand.

We use it mostly for HD TV, UHD Netflix etc. but my son uses for Xbox with no complaints (looks amazing to me).There is a 'game' mode but we don't tend to use it as no FPS or framerate-critical games really.

I initially had sound going through a receiver with KEF LS50 speakers and a sub but recently 'downgraded' to the supplied sound bar and it's actually perfectly adequate, if somewhat bass-light.

My first unit failed within 2 weeks (panel fault) but dealer replaced immediately (200% service from my local Expert store - you can't beat buying local even if it costs a tad more) and I got a 5 year warranty at the time so happy days.

There's an excellent video guide on avforums.com showing exactly how to configure for best settings and with those dialled in, content looks amazing though if I recall correctly, while this set does do HDR, it doesn't have the latest and greatest standards - I was happy enough to make this compromise at the time over the Samsung KS9000(?) which was smaller and more expensive.

My only problem is, initially I was worried about moving from a 40" to a 58" as it looked huge in the room. Now I feel it's a bit small.....

I can't argue with any of that, I was recommending the 802 to that poster ahead of some newer but inferior models. Aesthetics of stands is obviously down to personal opinion. I have the 902B and I've swapped the stand from that too. . . .maybe I've got issues :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

I thought I'd be swapping the stand too but after a week, everyone got very used to it and I like it now as it's just that little bit different.

Advertisement