Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

meep wrote: »

My only problem is, initially I was worried about moving from a 40" to a 58" as it looked huge in the room. Now I feel it's a bit small.....

What? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

What? :pac:

It's funny how quickly you get used to it. For the first couple of weeks , the 58" was MASSIVE. Now, I look at it and think 'It could take a 65" there'

Just making the point that it beds in quite quickly.

(In fairness, I do have a 130" 2.35:1 projector screen in a HT so everything seems small compared to that :D )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

meep wrote: »
    It's funny how quickly you get used to it. For the first couple of weeks , the 58" was MASSIVE. Now, I look at it and think 'It could take a 65" there'

Just making the point that it beds in quite quickly.

(In fairness, I do have a 130" 2.35:1 projector screen in a HT so everything seems small compared to that :D )

I somehow managed to read that as you had a 130" CRT, and was just astonished, must have been the size of your house! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

CatInABox wrote: »
    I somehow managed to read that as you had a 130" CRT, and was just astonished, must have been the size of your house! :o

Ha! I used to have a Sony CRT that threw to a 110" 16:9 screen. The PJ was the size of a small car and needed a full re-calibration every 6 months but ooohhhh the deep blacks.

I swapped it for a more up-to-date JVC D-ILA with pseudo 4K and re-built the screen to be scope ratio.

To keep things on topic, this setup is absolutely rubbish for gaming due to refresh rates but stupendous for movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

mcgovern wrote: »
    I could go to about €1000, current TV is on its last legs so not sure I can wait til the end of the year.

Head to ebay.de and get it shipped with mailbox.de - they can do big boxes for reasonably good value and you'll get good deals on ebay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Looking for a good 55 inch 4k for use on my new Xbox one s.
    Budget isn't much maybe 700-800
    Found these two.
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202656-55n5700.aspx
    And
    https://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-14-218910
    What ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

honda boi wrote: »
    Found these two.
    And
    What ya think?

I wouldn't buy the Walker anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Found these two.
    And
    What ya think?

I'm considering getting the 49" Hisense tomorrow - down to €609 for the HDR10 model in Argos

Only thing is I think the width between the legs is too big for my TV stand :rolleyes:

maximoose wrote: »
    I'm considering getting the 49" Hisense tomorrow - down to €609 for the HDR10 model in Argos

Only thing is I think the width between the legs is too big for my TV stand :rolleyes:

This one?

http://www.checkargos.com/product/7252844

Looks to have been that price all month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

That's the one yeah, stupid Xbox One S trade in deal has me itching to test out HDR now

• Advertisement

That's the one yeah, stupid Xbox One S trade in deal has me itching to test out HDR now

I've a 4K TV but no HDR. I'll upgrade early next year all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

If you were willing to compromise on size a small bit, this represents great bang for your buck, and is quite possibly a better buy in that 43" to 50" range. Comparison of both here

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭geo88

ibFoxer wrote: »
    If you were willing to compromise on size a small bit, this represents great bang for your buck, and is quite possibly a better buy in that 43" to 50" range. Comparison of both here

I can't quite tell what makes it better, looking at the comparison. They seem pretty much the same to me?

geo88 wrote: »
    I can't quite tell what makes it better, looking at the comparison. They seem pretty much the same to me?

It is quite marginal, slightly better PMI and more screen/body ratio.

May aswell get the 55 inch for an extra 90€ :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

May aswell get the 55 inch for an extra 90€ :p:p

Aye.

And get one of these stands, and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Bought the 55inch hisense myself this evening. Very early days but it's very impressive straight away. YouTube 4K videos look insanely good. The image sharpness is fantastic.
    At 666 euros, it's a hell of a deal.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I've a 4K TV but no HDR. I'll upgrade early next year all going well.

I bought the 43N5700 today after and the difference HDR makes is mad. Well worth the money.

Bought the 55inch hisense myself this evening. Very early days but it's very impressive straight away. YouTube 4K videos look insanely good. The image sharpness is fantastic.
    I bought the 43N5700 today after and the difference HDR makes is mad. Well worth the money.

Good job men.

Fair play.
    Where you get it for €666?

• Advertisement

Fair play.

Deal with the devil.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Deal with the devil.

Harvey Normans then....

Fair play.

Argos, it's 739 and use the discount code 'tv 10' at checkout to bring it to 666

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Just a tip for buying from Richersounds, they allow you to pay in Sterling as long as you have a valid Sterling payment card i.e Revolut.

Works out a lot cheaper that way, €656 vs €699 if you choose Euros, for the above TV for example. Due to the lower UK VAT rate I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I'm looking for a 4k/HDR TV around the 40" mark, maybe slightly bigger if suitable.
    Is there good branded ones available around 500 quid? Or one I could keep an eye on for a discount.
    I've seen some of the reasonable priced ones don't get great reviews. And there's the models with huge input lag as well.

eyerer wrote: »
    I'm looking for a 4k/HDR TV around the 40" mark, maybe slightly bigger if suitable.
    Is there good branded ones available around 500 quid? Or one I could keep an eye on for a discount.
    I've seen some of the reasonable priced ones don't get great reviews. And there's the models with huge input lag as well.

I got a Hisense 43N5700 in Argos on Friday. It was €519 and another 10% off with the code TV10. It's a big improvement over my LG 4K panel (that didn't have HDR).

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Just a tip for buying from Richersounds, they allow you to pay in Sterling as long as you have a valid Sterling payment card i.e Revolut.

Works out a lot cheaper that way, €656 vs €699 if you choose Euros, for the above TV for example. Due to the lower UK VAT rate I assume.
    Do you need to order through the UK site or can it be done through the Irish one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

honda boi wrote:
    Do you need to order through the UK site or can it be done through the Irish one?

On Irish site, top left corner just select Pound symbol instead of Euro one.

How long is the TV10 code good for with Argos?

• Advertisement

How long is the TV10 code good for with Argos?

not sure tbh. I only spotted it last thursday

Advertisement