Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I saw a TV 15 one mentioned on HUKD, might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

ibFoxer wrote: »
    If you were willing to compromise on size a small bit, this represents great bang for your buck, and is quite possibly a better buy in that 43" to 50" range. Comparison of both here

Ended up getting the LG 49UJ635V. Collected it on Friday, brought it home took out of the box, connected everything up before taking the felty cover off the front - the f*cker was smashed to bits! Was so disappointed :pac:

Collected replacement from Argos yesterday, they were grand about it.

My god FH3 in HDR looks incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

maximoose wrote: »
    It really is a thing of beauty, isn't it?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Venema

Hi Guys

looking at replacing my 1080p tv now next month for my new xbox one x

i have see 2 TVs that have looked good but im not sure which one is better
    ca you help me out with what you might think is better

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KD55XE7002-X-Reality-Enhanced-Clarity/dp/B071PCH5S4#Ask
    or
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7451834/Trail/searchtext%3EHISENSE.htm

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

WarpAsylum wrote: »

That looks sweet. I already have a 32" Samsung Tv and I'm so used to it. That might be a lovely upgrade.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't think it has HDR does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Don't think it has HDR does it?

No, in the video he says it does not and that he personally thinks games look worse with HDR. I never experienced it myself so I do not know. He also says that, that monitor is a QLED which has a wider colour gamut than standard screen types and it also has a really low input lag.

It was all well until he says the price and it is only $700. Seems expensive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No, in the video he says it does not and that he personally thinks games look worse with HDR. I never experienced it myself so I do not know. He also says that, that monitor is a QLED which has a wider colour gamut than standard screen types and it also has a really low input lag.

It was all well until he says the price and it is only $700. Seems expensive to me.

I recently bought a HDR TV and games definitely look more vibrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

A 4k HDR 32" monitor will run you around €1300 :D

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote:
    I recently bought a HDR TV and games definitely look more vibrant.

I've a HDR TV too and it's unreal, so I certainly don't agree with the opinion it makes games look worse.
    In fact, that's complete nonsense.

I never seen a HDR game but I would be leaning to agree with you.

I've a HDR TV too and it's unreal, so I certainly don't agree with the opinion it makes games look worse.

I didn't think there would be as big a difference in 4K and 4K with HDR.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I didn't think there would be as big a difference in 4K and 4K with HDR.

I never seen it but I imagine the colours would pop a fair bit. More vibrant. Even more then going from a TN panel to an IPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I have a HDR set and while it's good i don't think it's anything amazing. The HDR implementation on the real high end models probably looks great but i'm not prepared to pay near 2 grand for a TV.

• I have a HDR set and while it's good i don't think it's anything amazing. The HDR implementation on the real high end models probably looks great but i'm not prepared to pay near 2 grand for a TV.

HDR or HDR 10?
    What's the TV out of interest?

Argos, it's 739 and use the discount code 'tv 10' at checkout to bring it to 666

hey mate where did you get the delivery on the argos i dont see it or i cant put the code in anywhere?

• maximoose wrote: »
    Ended up getting the LG 49UJ635V. Collected it on Friday, brought it home took out of the box, connected everything up before taking the felty cover off the front - the f*cker was smashed to bits! Was so disappointed :pac:

Collected replacement from Argos yesterday, they were grand about it.

Still happy with this one? I recommended it to a mate who was looking for one also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah very happy with it, haven't been doing too much gaming on it since I bought it - played the opening of Forza 7 lastnight and god it was beautiful, can't wait to see how it looks on the X

Only complaint so far is from the OH that Narcos looks "too real" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Venema wrote: »
    hey mate where did you get the delivery on the argos i dont see it or i cant put the code in anywhere?

its not delivery - you have to collect it in store, and tell them to apply the code at checkout.

that was last week now mind - you'd want to make sure that promotion is still running before you commit.

• Advertisement

its not delivery - you have to collect it in store, and tell them to apply the code at checkout.

that was last week now mind - you'd want to make sure that promotion is still running before you commit.

how is it running? was thinking of picking this up tommorow.

I got the 43" of the same TV and I'm very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    HDR or HDR 10?
    The specs confuse me. HDR10 is the basic open source, Dolby vision is a higher spec?
    Read this after a Google:
    [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]panels must be at least 4000 nits of brightness and 10-bit colour depth to take advantage of HDR[/font]
    So brightness and colour depth affect how effective the HDR is it seems

eyerer wrote: »
    The specs confuse me. HDR10 is the basic open source, Dolby vision is a higher spec?
    Read this after a Google:

So brightness and colour depth affect how effective the HDR is it seems

Yes, but at the minute the Xbox only supports HDR10 not Dolby. I do not know if they can change that with a software update or if they needed some extra hardware to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Still great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

If you find out, do post back here and let us know

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    If you find out, do post back here and let us know

yeah gonna wait for a bit longer, i dunno what to do haha im moving out soon so need to see about the money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    HDR or HDR 10?
    What's the TV out of interest?

It's a Sony KD43XD8099BU. HDR10 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I got a Samsung UE40Ku6400 because it said that it had HDR10 support. But It turns out that the display is only 8-bit, rather than 10-bit, so it is technically HDR capable, but you're not getting the full effect (i.e. I was jipped and there's not much discernible difference on this model)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

TVs with 10 bit panels aren't gonna be cheap.

If you're paying less than €1500, it's a safe bet it's probably not 10 bit.

Advertisement