Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Soarer wrote: »
    TVs with 10 bit panels aren't gonna be cheap.

If you're paying less than €1500, it's a safe bet it's probably not 10 bit.

Not necessarily true. Towards the tail end of the year and new year, you'll easily get 10 bit panels for closer to €1000. The 49" Samsung KS7000 finished up at about €7-800 early this year iirc and it's still better than the QLED that replaced it (which will also be around that price early next year).

I got my DX902 for £1100 a few months ago. A 2016 model it may be but there are still only maybe 2 better LCD models on the market and, yes, they're expensive. A little research goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

theteal wrote: »
    Not necessarily true. Towards the tail end of the year and new year, you'll easily get 10 bit panels for closer to €1000. The 49" Samsung KS7000 finished up at about €7-800 early this year iirc and it's still better than the QLED that replaced it (which will also be around that price early next year).

I got my DX902 for £1100 a few months ago. A 2016 model it may be but there are still only maybe 2 better LCD models on the market and, yes, they're expensive. A little research goes a long way.

The DX902 is what I’d like to get but can’t seem to be got anywhere now.

tony1980 wrote: »
    The DX902 is what I’d like to get but can’t seem to be got anywhere now.

Yup, I completely fluked it and got the last one in my local Currys (we were there looking at fridges!). Touch wood nothing goes wrong with it as there are no more to replace it and I certainly don't have £2k+ to buy the next best available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Which is why I said probably.

You mentioned 2 models out of literally dozens. And one of them was the guts of €1500 on clearance at Currys.

So to reiterate, chances are it'll be 8 bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

So that means that 8 bit displays can actually do a good presentation of HDR?
    Otherwise most people (below €1500) would think it was crap?

• Advertisement

eyerer wrote: »
    So that means that 8 bit displays can actually do a good presentation of HDR?
    Otherwise most people (below €1500) would think it was crap?

HDR on 8 bit is still better than no HDR. This wouldn't be the deal breaker for me. My issues with cheap 4k screens would be more focussed on motion processing, light control/dimming etc. If someone has never seen good HDR10, they'll find the lower spec to be great. On the other hand, poor picture quality, juddery motion, pixelated upscaling, grey blacks are immediately noticable to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Soarer wrote: »
    TVs with 10 bit panels aren't gonna be cheap.

If you're paying less than €1500, it's a safe bet it's probably not 10 bit.

Well, it depends on screen size. For 55 inch I bought the KS7000 for €1200 which has a 10 bit panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Argos have some deals on 4k TV's at the moment.

Is there anything pc monitor wise at the moment that justifies the price? Looking at 27'' in terms of size but from what i've seen I'm better off sticking with what I have.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is there anything pc monitor wise at the moment that justifies the price? Looking at 27'' in terms of size but from what i've seen I'm better off sticking with what I have.

I don't think 4k is worth it for a 27" monitor. It sounds like some games are going to support 1440p though so that could be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Im thinking of changing the TV for the Xbox oneS and no doubt, a OneX after Christmas.

Any opinions on the Panasonic TX40EX600B ? It seems to have all the bells and whistles.

Im normally a Samsung TV person but seen this at a good price locally

Any opinions on the Panasonic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

amadablam wrote: »
    Im thinking of changing the TV for the Xbox oneS and no doubt, a OneX after Christmas.

Any opinions on the Panasonic TX40EX600B ? It seems to have all the bells and whistles.

Im normally a Samsung TV person but seen this at a good price locally

Any opinions on the Panasonic?

no HDR?

sweetie wrote: »
    no HDR?

Im not too up on TV's but according to a blog they said:
    "More pleasing though is the fact that the EX600B also supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) and the coming 4K transmission encoding – HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma). Considering that a lot of 4K content is also HDR enabled this is a great feature for Panasonic to add to the range."

Ill have to research this a bit more :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

my bad, I googled and it came up with a review for a slightly different model

https://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/tx-40dx600b/review

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Good news! That TV does have HDR!

Bad news! It's only an 8 bit panel!

For full HDR support, you'll want a 10 bit panel. Not 8 bit, or 10 bit (8 bit +FRC)

This article is a few years old now, but it captures the essential points. There's loads of TVs out now with 10 bit panels, but perhaps not in the super cheap price range yet.

A great website for TV reviews is rtings.com, super in depth on everything.

Just to note, apparently HDR is far more of a visual jump than 4K, so I think it's worth getting it right, you're going to have the tv for years and years.

Also, richersounds.ie do TVs, and they have special deals for boardsies if you contact them through here.

That Pana is HDR10 according to Richersounds blurb but the specs say 8 bit and also not UHD Premium.

I think you may struggle to get HDR10 in the price range. Also 40" seems small to me for 4k screen. I'm sure that Pana is a grand unit but around that price point i'd be looking at Hisense.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

CatInABox wrote: »
    Good news! That TV does have HDR!

Bad news! It's only an 8 bit panel!

For full HDR support, you'll want a 10 bit panel. Not 8 bit, or 10 bit (8 bit +FRC)

This article is a few years old now, but it captures the essential points. There's loads of TVs out now with 10 bit panels, but perhaps not in the super cheap price range yet.

A great website for TV reviews is rtings.com, super in depth on everything.

Just to note, apparently HDR is far more of a visual jump than 4K, so I think it's worth getting it right, you're going to have the tv for years and years.

Also, richersounds.ie do TVs, and they have special deals for boardsies if you contact them through here.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en is also a good site for checking specs

In separate news, our house purchase fell through (we pulled out because the sellers were thick and the house was sinking!) so our shiny new Panasonic 902B had been confined to it's box since we bought it about 3 months ago.

I couldn't abide that any longer so she took pride of place in the living room at the weekend. Dang, she's pretty. The quality is quite frankly stunning. Excitement levels for Tuesday week are ridiculous.

Thanks for all the helpful advice folks! :)

Yet another endorsement of the great crew of fellow gamers, techno geeks and all around decent people that make this place so great! :D

@theteal: thats one awesome TV you have! enjoy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Venema

any recomendations for the xonex witha budget of €1200 been looking at the LG850V and the SonyX900 any others?

• Advertisement

Venema wrote: »
    any recomendations for the xonex witha budget of €1200 been looking at the LG850V and the SonyX900 any others?

Sony XE9005 is the best at around that price point (although I'm not sure of the exact price in Ireland), it's actually better than the stupidly expensive Samsung QLEDs too. I'm not a fan of LG so couldn't recommend any until you get up to OLED level..

Sony XE9005 is the best at around that price point (although I'm not sure of the exact price in Ireland), it's actually better than the stupidly expensive Samsung QLEDs too. I'm not a fan of LG so couldn't recommend any until you get up to OLED level..

hi mate what would you recommend to get? LG is going on about Nano Cell etc but does sony display better display?

hi mate what would you recommend to get? LG is going on about Nano Cell etc but does sony display better display?

To be honest, I'm tired of looking at LG because most of them are RGBW panels which is a fake way of achieving the UHD base line, I've also seen it dubbed "faux K". I wasn't a particular fan of LG beforehand (worked with their phones for 7 years :() so now I just don't even bother looking into them.

That sony has direct LED lighting and it makes an attempt at providing decent dimming so levels of black are reported to be very good. It's not full HDR10 but the contrast will still be really good because of the aforementioned black levels. Plenty of reviews online to have a looksee e.g. rtings, avforums

The Sony XE9005 is regarded by many as the best 2017 TV in and around that price range

To be honest, I'm tired of looking at LG because most of them are RGBW panels which is a fake way of achieving the UHD base line, I've also seen it dubbed "faux K". I wasn't a particular fan of LG beforehand (worked with their phones for 7 years :() so now I just don't even bother looking into them.

That sony has direct LED lighting and it makes an attempt at providing decent dimming so levels of black are reported to be very good. It's not full HDR10 but the contrast will still be really good because of the aforementioned black levels. Plenty of reviews online to have a looksee e.g. rtings, avforums

The Sony XE9005 is regarded by many as the best 2017 TV in and around that price range

is there an actual proper HDR10 with Dolby Vision (possible) 55" TV around for that price at all? or is it all marketing just want the best tv i can afford for next tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Any recommendations in a 49/55 for under €1000 ?

I had been eyeing up some LGs until I checked and seen most of theirs are RGBW.
    Back looking at Samsung and maybe Sony, TV needs to have a centre stand, legs won't fit on our unit and it can't be wall mounted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

will56 wrote: »

Back looking at Samsung and maybe Sony, TV needs to have a centre stand, legs won't fit on our unit and it can't be wall mounted

good info and prices from digital foundry here.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-best-2017-4k-tvs-for-hdr-gaming_6
    what i had intended on doing was adding a few amazon alerts and waiting for black friday, but ended up jumping when a deal came up in argos.

is there an actual proper HDR10 with Dolby Vision (possible) 55" TV around for that price at all? or is it all marketing just want the best tv i can afford for next tuesday!

I'd have to look into that tbh, decent question, a little busy at the moment though. My thinking would be "no".

Possibly a Hisense to fit those specs????

My own TV doesn't do DV, doesn't bother me, some manufacturers aren't going with it.

I'd have to look into that tbh, decent question, a little busy at the moment though. My thinking would be "no".

Possibly a Hisense to fit those specs????

My own TV doesn't do DV, doesn't bother me, some manufacturers aren't going with it.

yeah i originally was looking at a Hisense then switched to LG now today a Sony XE is looking more along the lines, however getting one delivered heres the problem

will56 wrote: »

Look at what model of Hisense you can squeeze into your budget. At that price you're going to be making compromises on some features when it comes to 4k sets. Hisense seem to be packing in as much tech as they can without breaking the bank and I'm not seeing much in the way of unhappy reports around.

Alternatively, wait for black Friday or January to see what the likes of the Sony XE9005 come down in price to.

Also, just to note that Samsung have made a deliberate effort to confuse and rip-off consumers this year so on basic principle I'd avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Look at what model of Hisense you can squeeze into your budget. At that price you're going to be making compromises on some features when it comes to 4k sets. Hisense seem to be packing in as much tech as they can without breaking the bank and I'm not seeing much in the way of unhappy reports around.

Alternatively, wait for black Friday or January to see what the likes of the Sony XE9005 come down in price to.

Also, just to note that Samsung have made a deliberate effort to confuse and rip-off consumers this year so on basic principle I'd avoid.

I have the hisense m3000 43" and to be honest I wouldn't be rushing to buy Hisense again.
    Picture quality and sounds are just not great and the OS is slow. Viewing angle is awful as well

I'm trying to get my research done early this year to take advantage of the Black Friday/run up to Christmas sales.

How do you mean Samsung have made deliberate effort to confuse/rip off consumers ?

Advertisement