Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

I really wish I hadn't seen the B7/C7 now they're the only ones I want, bit pricey and slightly more than I was planning on shelling out but uhh looks like there's lots of overtime in my future. Hopefully it gets a decent price drop come January

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Doomofman wrote: »
    Well they wont have true HDR for starters, they'll all be 8bit panels. The other thing, I tried a couple of LGs and a Sony and they all have grey uniformity issues (kinda shadows on the screen, really noticeable on sports). The LGs were the worst, the Sony was tolerable so I stuck with it, it was around €850 or so

I had a look at the details of that Currys link and the specs on that tv say HDR 10. Like others I'm trying to catch up and get my head around all the new tech but how can you tell it's 8 bit when they say 10? Trying to find the right tv seems like a bit of a minefield at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I had a look at the details of that Currys link and the specs on that tv say HDR 10. Like others I'm trying to catch up and get my head around all the new tech but how can you tell it's 8 bit when they say 10? Trying to find the right tv seems like a bit of a minefield at the minute.

I've noticed some of them now say they're HDR10 "compatible" which sets alarms straight away. That basically HDR8 + FRC but let's try disguise it for the consumer. They need to have a 10 bit panel to do full HDR10, full stop. I tend to use richersounds site for specs as it details the same spec categories for every TV.

Yup, it's a minefield at the moment. The only reason I've any kinda clue is because I've been keeping a keen eye on things since about this time last year. Thankfully I got myself sorted with a cracking TV a couple of months ago so my research has ceased and my knowledge of the market will very quickly be outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Cheers, thats good to know. Off to richer sounds website I go so!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Cheers, thats good to know. Off to richer sounds website I go so!!

The site in this post is handy too, it's from page 2 of this thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101206302&postcount=46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

wexdevil wrote: »
    I really wish I hadn't seen the B7/C7 now they're the only ones I want, bit pricey and slightly more than I was planning on shelling out but uhh looks like there's lots of overtime in my future. Hopefully it gets a decent price drop come January

Im hoping they will drop abit in the Black Friday Sale...

Hey guys,

I recently got an Xbox One S to go with my Samsung KS7000 TV. The TV is 4K and supports HDR. But unfortunately although it may support HDR the reality is that its a real pain to use. I have to manually change the settings when using a game with HDR and then set them back for non HDR games. It has been suggested to me that I should have a HDR dedicated HDMI port configured for HDR and a separate HDMI port configured for non HDR gaming. This means when I want to play a HDR game I have to physically switch HDMI ports on the TV.

Another thing, you see mentioned a lot on the internet that a "HDR detected" type message will popup when a HDR source is fed into a TV. I don't get that message. I don't see any huge improvement on picture quality so I'm wondering am I getting HDR at all?!

I've searched and I can other people have purchased this TV for use with the Xbox. I'm sure the same firmware goes on other Samsung TV's which are quite popular. How are people using these TV's with the Xbox One S? Do I really need to physically switch ports to use HDR?! Any advice appreciated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hey guys,

I recently got an Xbox One S to go with my Samsung KS7000 TV. The TV is 4K and supports HDR. But unfortunately although it may support HDR the reality is that its a real pain to use. I have to manually change the settings when using a game with HDR and then set them back for non HDR games. It has been suggested to me that I should have a HDR dedicated HDMI port configured for HDR and a separate HDMI port configured for non HDR gaming. This means when I want to play a HDR game I have to physically switch HDMI ports on the TV.

Another thing, you see mentioned a lot on the internet that a "HDR detected" type message will popup when a HDR source is fed into a TV. I don't get that message. I don't see any huge improvement on picture quality so I'm wondering am I getting HDR at all?!

I've searched and I can other people have purchased this TV for use with the Xbox. I'm sure the same firmware goes on other Samsung TV's which are quite popular. How are people using these TV's with the Xbox One S? Do I really need to physically switch ports to use HDR?! Any advice appreciated.

Take a look at this. It doesn't seem intuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Hey guys,

I have the same TV.

I don't have to manually do anything. You used to when the TV first came out but Samsung released an update to fix this. Have you updated the TV?

You don't need to switch any ports.

Follow this setup video.

2:28 - Especially this part.

The popup message has been removed by Samsung. I liked it however there is another way to tell. Use the source button on your TV remote and click on the HDMI port the Xbox is using. After a few seconds a banner will appear at the top of the screen. You should see the pixel size of the output and then look for HDR in a highlighted box. Be patient, it takes about 3 seconds after selecting the source before it shows up briefly for a few seconds. You need to be running a game that has HDR to see it on the Xbox like Ghost Recon, COD, etc when you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

I have the same TV.

I don't have to manually do anything. You used to when the TV first came out but Samsung released an update to fix this. Have you updated the TV?

You don't need to switch any ports.

Follow this setup video.

2:28 - Especially this part.

The popup message has been removed by Samsung. I liked it however there is another way to tell. Use the source button on your TV remote and click on the HDMI port the Xbox is using. After a few seconds a banner will appear at the top of the screen. You should see the pixel size of the output and then look for HDR in a highlighted box. Be patient, it takes about 3 seconds after selecting the source before it shows up briefly for a few seconds. You need to be running a game that has HDR to see it on the Xbox like Ghost Recon, COD, etc when you do this.
    Same here, I've a KS7000 and don't have to do anything since setting it up. It's a beaut of a TV.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks everyone. So I just leave the settings as they are configured in the video, no need to switch back for non HDR gaming? Would this also apply for movies and TV?

Some further info for those with the same TV (KS7000). The problem is that in game mode does not automatically switch to HDR settings when a HDR input is detected. It works for the other modes (movie etc), but not for Game Mode.

So when playing a HDR game you have to manually adjust your settings to suit HDR and then remember to set them back for non HDR content. Most notably backlight should be set to 20 (max value) for HDR but for non-HDR it should be much lower at typically 5.

You could use another mode but then you have increased lag to deal with. Maybe this is what other people are doing?

I wonder if this is typical for other TV brands. With HDR in games being relatively new.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

You could use another mode but then you have increased lag to deal with. Maybe this is what other people are doing?

I wonder if this is typical for other TV brands. With HDR in games being relatively new.

I know on my DX902 is generally recommended to avoid Game Mode. The difference is negligible although I do know that input lag isn't spectacular to begin with - I can't say I've noticed

Some further info for those with the same TV (KS7000). The problem is that in game mode does not automatically switch to HDR settings when a HDR input is detected. It works for the other modes (movie etc), but not for Game Mode.

It does on mine.

But I only use game mode for my Xbox and PS4 (the TV automatically detects these and switches to Game Mode and the settings I've selected).

I use the TVs apps for Netflix and YouTube as they're better than those on the consoles. The TV again, automatically switches to the right mode.

The only time I have to manually switch out of Game Mode is when I'm on the Xbox channel and want to watch a dvd.

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    It does on mine.

But I only use game mode for my Xbox and PS4 (the TV automatically detects these and switches to Game Mode and the settings I've selected).

I use the TVs apps for Netflix and YouTube as they're better than those on the consoles. The TV again, automatically switches to the right mode.

The only time I have to manually switch out of Game Mode is when I'm on the Xbox channel and want to watch a dvd.
    OK thanks for the feedback WarpAsylum. It's not switching modes that my TV has a problem with, its a problem with not switching on/off HDR settings when I am within Game Mode.

Set Backlight to 5 in Game Mode -> load a HDR game -> backlight stays at 5
    Set Backlight to 5 in Movie Mode -> Load a HDR game/movie -> Backlight automatically goes to 20

I could possibly have a defective TV. But then this is reported in various places on the internet. (e.g. Reddit and Eurogamer).

Ah ok, sorry, my misunderstanding.

When I got the TV, I implemented all those changes in the DF video that Cat posted and just left it at that.
    Those settings saved in Game Mode and I haven't had to change them again.

So what you're saying is, that if a non HDR game is being played, that backlight setting should be at 5 and not at 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

So it's my first look into the 4K world. Have an One X Scorpio and PS4 Pro arriving this week. I'd have a budget of about 2k to 2.5k for a TV, what would be the best option?

OK thanks for the feedback WarpAsylum. It's not switching modes that my TV has a problem with, its a problem with not switching on/off HDR settings when I am within Game Mode.

Set Backlight to 5 in Game Mode -> load a HDR game -> backlight stays at 5
    Set Backlight to 5 in Movie Mode -> Load a HDR game/movie -> Backlight automatically goes to 20

I could possibly have a defective TV. But then this is reported in various places on the internet. (e.g. Reddit and Eurogamer).

You piqued my interest in relation to this.
    Had a quick look.
    Seems like there are patches due out Oct 12 (2017 models) Nov 27 (2016 models).

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tv/thread-id/8587/page/10

Link sources a forums, but I didn't trawl through to find it in there.

Man, ignorance was bliss. Never noticed any issues playing SDR games with the backlight at 20.

Curious what folks who game on a pc monitor intend to do? What are good options right now or are there any given the lack of HDR on them and the price they'll be when they do have it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Curious what folks who game on a pc monitor intend to do? What are good options right now or are there any given the lack of HDR on them and the price they'll be when they do have it :confused:

I game on a 1440p 144Hz Freesync monitor and I will be hooking my One X up to it as well. As soon as we see 4K HDR Freesync 2 monitors I will most likely get one, depending on funds and such though.

• Advertisement

I game on a 1440p 144Hz Freesync monitor and I will be hooking my One X up to it as well. As soon as we see 4K HDR Freesync 2 monitors I will most likely get one, depending on funds and such though.

Be interested to hear you thoughts on how it looks once you get it up and running, I think the One X has a 1440p mode right? meaning you should be able to run it in both 1080 and 1440 modes assuming the game allows it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yea, that 1440p mode is what I was hoping for and then a week or two before release they announced the One X did support it which is pretty cool tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

So it's my first look into the 4K world. Have an One X Scorpio and PS4 Pro arriving this week. I'd have a budget of about 2k to 2.5k for a TV, what would be the best option?

Where you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Soarer wrote: »
    Where you based?

Based in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It does on mine.

Mine too.

I have no issue with game mode, HDR and it switching them on and off automatically with me doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

Based in Cork.

Good!

Last time I checked, there was a display model LG OLED65E6 in Currys for around €2500 I think.
    They might have another one boxed (they had when I got my C6 a few months back), or they might be able to do better on the price seeing as it's display.
    But it'll come with a 5 year warranty too.

Savage set.

You piqued my interest in relation to this.
    Had a quick look.
    Seems like there are patches due out Oct 12 (2017 models) Nov 27 (2016 models).

Link sources a forums, but I didn't trawl through to find it in there.

Man, ignorance was bliss. Never noticed any issues playing SDR games with the backlight at 20.

Ah spot on, well found! It's my favourite TV again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

4k Video question.

For watching media I've been torrenting on phone and casting to the Xbox One for the last few years, works a treat. Since I got the 4k telly I downloaded a few UHD videos and tried the same. The video will work for 10-15 seconds and then start stuttering.

I guessed this was something like a RAM issue on my phone or a bandwidth issue on the network not being able to cope, so tried putting the video on to a USB stick but the same thing happened. USB stick might be too slow or something?

Anyone got 4k media files to play successfully? This was all on the S, getting my X today

May try uploading to onedrive and see if it can stream from there

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

The S has a lot of people reporting 4k playback issues. I imagine the hardware just isn't powerful enough. USB is definitely fast enough so that isn't the issue.

I'd say the X will blow it out of the water anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would imagine the Xbox One S doesn't have the horsepower to decode 4K video codecs fluidly.

X should be better in that regard but I don't know if the graphics hardware supports it? If it doesn't, decoding is done via the CPU, and the Xbox One/One X have weak CPU's compared to desktop PCs so 4K playback can be choppy/stutter. But I would imagine it would have hardware support via GPU.

Talking here about video file playback, not Netflix/Blu-Ray content obviously.

Advertisement