Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'll try it on the X this evening and see how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Apparently quite a few reports of poor bluray playback issues on the X over on AVforums

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Had mentioned on one of the other threads the other night about how overblown and bright the UHD playback appeared in comparison to a dedicated player. Not sure if it's been a thing with playback on the likes of the S lately, but it didn't look right at all on the couple of mins I looked at. Didn't use the S as a player, and won't be using the X as one either, so not overly familiar with existing issues but maybe it's just something that needs to be worked on the app side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Does anyone use a PC monitor for XBone S usage? Thinking about picking up an S on the cheap and I am just wondering what type of PC monitor I could use. From reading the internet it looks like a bit of a minefield to find one that works.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Does anyone use a PC monitor for XBone S usage? Thinking about picking up an S on the cheap and I am just wondering what type of PC monitor I could use. From reading the internet it looks like a bit of a minefield to find one that works.

I use a monitor with mine with no issues, it would be overkill to get it for the S though as it's a g-sync 1440p 144hz which I got for my PC. Something like this should be fine: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VS248HR-Gaming-Monitor-DVI-D/dp/B014RKZ81O/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1510217026&sr=1-1&keywords=gaming+monitor&dpID=51DT3BpmP3L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I got this one as a second monitor for browsing but haven't had a chance to try the Xbox out on it yet: http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?mancode=9H.LC8LA.TBE&manufacturer=BENQ&gclid=Cj0KCQiArYDQBRDoARIsAMR8s_Qy0RCCu4JMZdhBFBKzfNNGmR0e6mOOBT3OQ77tqVtFaQdZ1f0nK2UaAvnNEALw_wcB

What kind of issues were people having?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I think it's just some of the big name monitors don't have HDMI ports. You'd have to make sure they had one first before dropping the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I have been an LG fan for the past 15 years. I have always bought their products, from TV's to Soundbars to BluRay players etc. Only 8 months ago I splashed out 1600 euro on a LG 55 inch HDR 4K TV with the sole purpose being ready for the Xbox One X launch.

Up until the One X was launched I was only watching Netflix in 4K so the "HDR Game Mode" had never been seen.

I have to say I am very very disappointed with the "HDR Game Mode" on the LG TV. From researching the issue, it is a well known issue with all LG OLED and LCD TVs running the firmware 05.30.01, 05.30.02 and 05.30.10.

My TV is running the Web OS 3.0 and firmware version 05.30.10 which laughably, was the most recent firmware that was released by LG to actually fix the input lag on "HDR Game Mode" on OLED and LCD screens.

The only issue with these 3 firmware versions is, that while it fixed the input lag, it turned everything SO dark that it ruins the whole experience of HDR. What is more frustrating is that when approached, LG confirmed that it was their intention to make the panel much darker when using "HDR Game Mode".

My TV is not an OLED display, it is an LCD running a 10 bit panel and full 4K and HDR. HDR mode on LG TV's have 4 options, Vivid, Bright, Standard and Game.

When you flick from Game to Vivid, games look truly amazing, but you have a drop in FPS and input lag returns. When you flick back to Game, you get the FPS and the input lag is gone, but the image is just so dark.

SOLUTION (Kinda)

So to anyone running an LG TV with any of the above firmware versions, there is a work around that can help. You need to do two things.

1) Increase the brightness from 50 to 54 or 55. (No higher than 55 as after this point, blacks start to get washed out)
    2) In the advance settings of "HDR Game Mode" you need to move "Dynamic Contract" from Low to High.

Save these settings and "HDR Game Mode" is about 70% of what it should be, but at least it is usable.

Bad news is, that LG seems to be toying with the idea of forcing this firmware onto all remaining HDR supported panels which is bad news for us gamers. They don't see the darkness as an issue and I cant see a fix being released any time soon.

That being said, games do look great in 4K and I will take "HDR Game Mode" working at 70% rather than not having it at all, but I am very disappointed with LG.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Castlehills

I’m still debating myself to buy oled or go with sonys x90 series. Does oled get bright enough to display hdr?

Sorry to hear that Logik, this is anecdotal but having worked with LG products about a decade ago, I still can't bring myself buy them, there's always some corner cut.

Then again I'm sure there's the odd bad story about every manufacturer out there

I’m still debating myself to buy oled or go with sonys x90 series. Does oled get bright enough to display hdr?

Based on my above post and reading up on the issue, I would go with the Sony.

• Advertisement

Different between different panels, you'd need to look up individual reviews. Apparently LG have big improvements in brightness for next year.

theteal wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Logik, this is anecdotal but having worked with LG products about a decade ago, I still can't bring myself buy them, there's always some corner cut.

Then again I'm sure there's the odd bad story about every manufacturer out there

Thanks, it is very frustrating alright. €1600 is alot of money to hand over for what was supposed to be a very good TV. Very deflating, I kinda feel robbed. I mean, based on the old firmware, I know the TV can do HDR properly. Its just that when they fixed the input lag, they thought it was a good idea to drop the brightness, and not give the consumer any options to revert.

There are horror stories about most manufacturers alright, no doubt about it.

logik wrote: »
    When you flick from Game to Vivid, games look truly amazing, but you have a drop in FPS and input lag returns. When you flick back to Game, you get the FPS and the input lag is gone, but the image is just so dark.

Not sure what firmware my TV is, will check later - but I noticed the same and have been using HDR Vivid mode since I got it rather than the gaming mode, which is VERY dark as you say.

I haven't really noticed much in the way of frame drops or input lags though.

maximoose wrote: »
    Not sure what firmware my TV is, will check later - but I noticed the same and have been using HDR Vivid mode since I got it rather than the gaming mode, which is VERY dark as you say.

I haven't really noticed much in the way of frame drops or input lags though.

What games have you played Maxi? I tried Ghost Recon last night. It looks out of this world when I have HDR set to Vivid but there is noticeable drops in performance on the TV side of things. I think Gears of War 4 was the same.

Try the settings I have listed above in Game Mode and let me know what you think.

Since I picked up the TV I think I've played bits of Forza, COD WW2, Wolfenstein 2, South Park FBW and trackmania

I'll give your settings a go later and see how it fares

How bad is the lag?

I dont use game mode on my Panasonic as apparently it doesn't really make a difference, I think I read that the lag is 33-35ms. I don't think that's especially good but I dont notice it as being bad when playing

I will attempt to run a few games today in Vivid mode and Game mode and record them in 4k via Xbox clips. Once they are uploaded, I will post of the links here so you can see the difference. Picture difference is night and day. Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

I have been an LG fan for the past 15 years. I have always bought their products, from TV's to Soundbars to BluRay players etc. Only 8 months ago I splashed out 1600 euro on a LG 55 inch HDR 4K TV with the sole purpose being ready for the Xbox One X launch.

Up until the One X was launched I was only watching Netflix in 4K so the "HDR Game Mode" had never been seen.

I have to say I am very very disappointed with the "HDR Game Mode" on the LG TV. From researching the issue, it is a well known issue with all LG OLED and LCD TVs running the firmware 05.30.01, 05.30.02 and 05.30.10.

My TV is running the Web OS 3.0 and firmware version 05.30.10 which laughably, was the most recent firmware that was released by LG to actually fix the input lag on "HDR Game Mode" on OLED and LCD screens.

The only issue with these 3 firmware versions is, that while it fixed the input lag, it turned everything SO dark that it ruins the whole experience of HDR. What is more frustrating is that when approached, LG confirmed that it was their intention to make the panel much darker when using "HDR Game Mode".

My TV is not an OLED display, it is an LCD running a 10 bit panel and full 4K and HDR. HDR mode on LG TV's have 4 options, Vivid, Bright, Standard and Game.

SOLUTION (Kinda)

So to anyone running an LG TV with any of the above firmware versions, there is a work around that can help. You need to do two things.

1) Increase the brightness from 50 to 54 or 55. (No higher than 55 as after this point, blacks start to get washed out)
    2) In the advance settings of "HDR Game Mode" you need to move "Dynamic Contract" from Low to High.

Save these settings and "HDR Game Mode" is about 70% of what it should be, but at least it is usable.

Bad news is, that LG seems to be toying with the idea of forcing this firmware onto all remaining HDR supported panels which is bad news for us gamers. They don't see the darkness as an issue and I cant see a fix being released any time soon.

That being said, games do look great in 4K and I will take "HDR Game Mode" working at 70% rather than not having it at all, but I am very disappointed with LG.

There's a method to downgrade your firmware available for the OLEDs. Don't know if it's suitable to your model, but might be worth a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

It's been asked many times before, but I'll ask again :)

For a max budget of €450 - €550 what are my best options ? Screen size is kinda 43" to 49" I'm guessing ?

Soarer wrote: »
    There's a method to downgrade your firmware available for the OLEDs. Don't know if it's suitable to your model, but might be worth a go?

I am not running an OLED display, thanks for that though.

It is a catch 22 for OLED owners though. If you do revert back to an older firmware you are going to introduce the very issue that forced LG to issue a new firmware in the first place. The input lag in Game Mode on older firmware was considerable.

• Advertisement

trixiebust wrote: »
    It's been asked many times before, but I'll ask again :)

For a max budget of €450 - €550 what are my best options ? Screen size is kinda 43" to 49" I'm guessing ?

It's not an ideal budget, you can't do 4k well unless you pay for it. If you want 4k I'd say to get the highest spec Hisense model you can fit into your budget. Any of the bigger/more familiar names will have compromised specs (not that the Hisense will have everything!) and possibly lower quality.

Personally with that budget I'd be more inclined to look at the 1080P Sony's that have HDR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I will attempt to run a few games today in Vivid mode and Game mode and record them in 4k via Xbox clips. Once they are uploaded, I will post of the links here so you can see the difference. Picture difference is night and day. Cheers lads.
    In settings go to capture and broadcast then switch recording to 4k with HDR.

If you have a media drive you'll need it to set clips to record to it.
    I say media drive because any external drive you use that has games installed won't be the correct format.

Then move the file to a PC and upload. The one X will only upload files to Xbox in 1080p SDR.

It's not an ideal budget, you can't do 4k well unless you pay for it. If you want 4k I'd say to get the highest spec Hisense model you can fit into your budget. Any of the bigger/more familiar names will have compromised specs (not that the Hisense will have everything!) and possibly lower quality.

Personally with that budget I'd be more inclined to look at the 1080P Sony's that have HDR

Thanks. Would these be relatively good. Don't have a thousand to spend on a TV :)

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7526305/Trail/searchtext%3EHisense.htm

http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-43uj701v-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/343183/397.0.0

Theres a better Hisense model for a few quid more over on richersounds

That LG will be likely be RGBW so it's not actually 4k.....best to not get me started. I don't buy LG

Theres a better Hisense model for a few quid more over on richersounds

That LG will be likely be RGBW so it's not actually 4k.....best to not get me started. I don't buy LG

This one ?
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202705-45n5750.aspx

Yeah the LG is advertised as being reduced from €999. Probably that price for a week, so it could be reduced by €600!!!

trixiebust wrote: »
    This one ?

Yeah the LG is advertised as being reduced from €999. Probably that price for a week, so it could be reduced by €600!!!

That's the one. I'll see if I can find a side by side comparison chart with the one you linked previous

EDIT - that 5300 model looks to be an old model that's only available in Argos and Amazon at quick glance. It doesn't look to be available in proper AV stores - that generally means it's old or crap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm on a budget and looking to buy a 4k HDR Tv. It will not be in a sitting room so I do not need a massive screen. I was looking at the two below but edging more towards the cheaper one. Is the more expensive one better or is the reason it is more expensive due to the bigger screen.

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202654-43n5700.aspx

The English site has a bit more info by the looks of it. The 750 has better motion processing. I couldn't say how much better, you probably need to see them in the flesh. It's not really a feature to be overlooked. If you watch sport, play games etc. you're going to want to get the best you can squeeze into your budget.

I have mentioned before that in this price bracket and screen size I would be more inclined to go for one of the Sony 1080P HDR models that are out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I'm interested in these Hisense ones mentioned. They are listed at 50ms input lag, how is this for gaming?
    And if they are dropped in the Black Friday sales, will richersounds still price match it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭viper5

I can strongly advise anyone to stay away from the budget 4K TVs in around 400-500 mark inparticular. Save for afew more months and buy one of higher Spec Sony , Panasonic or Samsung. I picked up a 55KS7000 for 1000 this year and the extra 400 euro I ended up spending felt like overkill at the time but over the course of the few years I’ll own this it so worth it. The picture is light years a head of Hisnese and the budget LGs. Those budget “4K “ TV don’t have brightness and pop you need to enjoy 4K.

Hisense Tv are very poor TVs in my opinion and should you ever sell on down the line they depreciate like crazy . Black Friday sales kick off on Amazon UK 17th Nov and you can get Argos , Curry’s and Richersounds will price match. They will be some big sales on TV.

They will be 700-800e TV in the 500-600 mark so hang tight for afew more weeks. Sites like HotdealsUK will be very handy for spotting Deals both in Ireland and UK in the next few weeks

Advertisement