Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I'm thinking of the Samsung UE49KS7000 Flat SUHD TV With Quantum Dot DisplaySamsung UE49KS7000 Flat SUHD

Any have one of these? What's the opinion on them?

Are they true 4k, hdr, etc?

I know they are under €1000 or so but are they a decent tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Where are you getting one? They're like hens teeth at this stage.

Yes, a very good TV. Proper 4k and hdr - very decent nits output too iirc. These perform better than its replacement, the q7 - look at the price of them and the reasons for a Samsung boycott this year becomes clearer.

Only downsides are that they are edge lit so dimming isn't great (black is more of a dark grey) and they do have a little bit of light bleed. Also keep an eye on the plastic panel on the back, it's known to come away from the unit because of the poor glue they used - doesn't effect screen quality but....the back of the telly falls off :)

All that said, if you're getting one for a good price, grab it with other hands

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭viper5

theteal wrote: »

Yes, a very good TV. Proper 4k and hdr - very decent nits output too iirc. These perform better than its replacement, the q7 - look at the price of them and the reasons for a Samsung boycott this year becomes clearer.

Only downsides are that they are edge lit so dimming isn't great (black is more of a dark grey) and they do have a little bit of light bleed. Also keep an eye on the plastic panel on the back, it's known to come away from the unit because of the poor glue they used - doesn't effect screen quality but....the back of the telly falls off :)

I have the 55” version and I recommend very highly.

Harvey Norman are doing clearance on them at the moment.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/samsung-49-7-series-suhd-tv-ue49ks7000uxxu.html

Cheers Theteal

I found a few places with them but all display models and I'm kinda hesitant to spend around 900 euro on a tv that has had a the guts of a years use.

Anyone buy display models before? What's your experience?
    Thanks
    :)

I don't think €900 for a display model 49" is good tbh - unless it's perfect (even at that, the system up time could be massive!)

I'm sure brand new units were a smidge less than that back in February or March

• Advertisement

I don't think €900 for a display model 49" is good tbh - unless it's perfect (even at that, the system up time could be massive!)

I'm sure brand new units were a smidge less than that back in February or March

That's exactly how I feel as well. Would rather throw some extra money into the purchase and get a new item myself.

Probably be hard to find one new and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there with similar performance for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

this is what I am getting........ Going to wait till the end of the month and see if there is a price drop in the black friday sale....

http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-oled55b7v-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-oled-tv/343401/409.5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

New video from Digital Foundry recommending 4k TVs for the Xbox One X & PS4 Pro.

New video from Digital Foundry recommending 4k TVs for the Xbox One X & PS4 Pro.

And the very first one they go into detail on is the model I've been harping on about here for the last while. If you can't go as high as the price of an OLED the XE9005 is the best bet - even without being a 10bit panel

I do love that the guy did the bunny ears when saying "QLED" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

I went to Harvey Norman today to have a look. The salesman logged into his PC, & then showed me a huge list of names & addresses on it. " Look at how many people have bought this TV ".

Needless to say, I left. And that was for a cheapo one at €519.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

viper5 wrote: »
    I have the 55” version and I recommend very highly.

Harvey Norman are doing clearance on them at the moment.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/samsung-49-7-series-suhd-tv-ue49ks7000uxxu.html

The KS7000 is the same TV as the KS8000, just called different in the US.

Quoted in the 2016 review by whathifi as 'by far the best flatscreen Samsung set we’ve seen this year' - https://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue49ks8000/review

I bought the 55 inch curved version (KS7500) recently from DID for €1,000. It was supposed to be display model, but ended up getting a brand new one when I went to collect. Awesome TV and upgrade from my older Series 5 46-inch Samsung HDTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 robertbobert

Howdy folks,

It's been a great read going through all the above information. I've bought myself an Xbox One X but only have an entry level 4K tv, so id like to move up to a better one to get the best out of the One X. Has anyone got a tv that ticks all the boxes on the Xbox's 4k detail analysis? Or any tips on what would be best? I like the look of the Sony XE90 mentioned in the video above. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

It's been a great read going through all the above information. I've bought myself an Xbox One X but only have an entry level 4K tv, so id like to move up to a better one to get the best out of the One X. Has anyone got a tv that ticks all the boxes on the Xbox's 4k detail analysis? Or any tips on what would be best? I like the look of the Sony XE90 mentioned in the video above. Any help would be appreciated.

My TV ticks all the boxes under 4k details but it's only a Hisense 55M3300

I'd imagine quite a few get all green ticks on their X. I know a few here have mentioned having TVs like last year's KS7000, there would be a few OLEDs knocking about and my own DX902 would be another example. Probably good to note too that I'd expect a lot if these to be 2016 models as the prices are still quite high for 2017 models - even though some don't perform as well as the old ones.

I think the choice this year is quite straightforward. It's the Sony in the above video or OLED. That's it imo. It's getting to the time of year where the pricing gets interesting.

I'd imagine quite a few get all green ticks on their X. I know a few here have mentioned having TVs like last year's KS7000, there would be a few OLEDs knocking about and my own DX902 would be another example. Probably good to note too that I'd expect a lot if these to be 2016 models as the prices are still quite high for 2017 models - even though some don't perform as well as the old ones.

I think the choice this year is quite straightforward. It's the Sony in the above video or OLED. That's it imo. It's getting to the time of year where the pricing gets interesting.

Cheers for the info. I think I'll wait until Black Friday anyway and see what's on offer. Is the Sony XE90 true 10 bit or 8 bit + frc? It's €1400 at the moment on Harvey Norman wonder will it drop?

Cheers for the info. I think I'll wait until Black Friday anyway and see what's on offer. Is the Sony XE90 true 10 bit or 8 bit + frc? It's €1400 at the moment on Harvey Norman wonder will it drop?

It's 8 bit + frc. The main thing is that it has local dimming so blacks are somewhat close to actual black. That makes the HDR standout more even if not officially "full" HDR. The next Sony model (xe93 iirc) is 10 bit but your edging onto OLED pricing. The comparative Samsung in the video is 10 bit but black is dark grey. They hope that if they blind you with colour, you won't notice it - not everything you watch will be HDR enabled, so you will notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Comes with a free sony sound bar aswell,,,,, it's tempting me big time.

I think if I'm spending big money I'm going to try get a 10 bit tv if possible. Anyone know any true 10 bit tv's that are good value? I've seen a few sites recommend the TCL P series, but I don't think you can get these here.

I think if I'm spending big money I'm going to try get a 10 bit tv if possible. Anyone know any true 10 bit tv's that are good value? I've seen a few sites recommend the TCL P series, but I don't think you can get these here.

If you want true 19 bit, then LG B7 is the one to get..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The B7 seems to have dropped in price across the board...black friday deals going live early?

https://pricespy.ie/product.php?pu=4095122

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The B7 seems to have dropped in price across the board...black friday deals going live early?

https://pricespy.ie/product.php?pu=4095122

Im going for one of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Uuugh I'm so tempted!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

But isn’t there the whole hdr issue and the input lag affecting the lg?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Blazer wrote: »

On last years models, or perhaps the non-OLED ones. The *7s are all uniformly brilliant for input lag though, all hovering around 21ms mark for lag, and getting excellent HDR scores. Here's the detailed B7 review.

For OLED, image retention/burn in seems to be the big bugbear, but using the built in calibration tool on a regular basis combats it effectively, apparently.

CatInABox wrote: »
    On last years models, or perhaps the non-OLED ones. The *7s are all uniformly brilliant for input lag though, all hovering around 21ms mark for lag, and getting excellent HDR scores. Here's the detailed B7 review.

For OLED, image retention/burn in seems to be the big bugbear, but using the built in calibration tool on a regular basis combats it effectively, apparently.

Yeah seemingly it takes about an hour and runs when you have the screen off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Blazer wrote: »

No this is not the case anymore. Yes, this was an issue on previous firmware versions with LG OLED and LED but the issue of input lag was fixed. Input lag on the B6, and LED is down around 20-24ms now which is great.

My previous post (post #578) touches on what LG did with the recent firmware. I was angry in this post, but I have my TV sorted now and things are looking great.

Further research into what LG have done reveals that they are technically right in their approach to HDR, just that their software now makes the picture darker, which is annoying. Some of the other manufacturers try to blind you with high brightness/contract and colour to hide the fact that they cannot do deep blacks properly.

I think it is a toss up, especially in the mid range market. Unless you can afford 1700-2500 euro for true 10 bit, you are always going to have pros and cons with each manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

logik wrote: »
    No this is not the case anymore. Yes, this was an issue on previous firmware versions with LG OLED and LED but the issue of input lag was fixed. Input lag on the B6, and LED is down around 20-24ms now which is great.

My previous post (post #578) touches on what LG did with the recent firmware. I was angry in this post, but I have my TV sorted now and things are looking great.

Further research into what LG have done reveals that they are technically right in their approach to HDR, just that their software now makes the picture darker, which is annoying. Some of the other manufacturers try to blind you with high brightness/contract and colour to hide the fact that they cannot do deep blacks properly.

I think it is a toss up, especially in the mid range market. Unless you can afford 1700-2500 euro for true 10 bit, you are always going to have pros and cons with each manufacturer.

If you had €1000-€1200 what tv would you buy?

Tilikum wrote: »

Right now, none.
    I'd hold out a bit longer to wait for the XE9005 to fall into that bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Tilikum wrote: »

I would agree with theteal. I mean we are coming to the end of 2017 and also Black Friday is around the corner. Either wait until Black Friday to see just how much prices drop or wait until the new year when we have 2018 models releasing. Once they release you will be able to pick up a 2017 high end for good money.

Can you afford to wait or do you need a TV right now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

logik wrote: »
    I would agree with theteal. I mean we are coming to the end of 2017 and also Black Friday is around the corner. Either wait until Black Friday to see just how much prices drop or wait until the new year when we have 2018 models releasing. Once they release you will be able to pick up a 2017 high end for good money.

Can you afford to wait or do you need a TV right now?

Can certainly wait.

Advertisement