Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

logik wrote: »
    Tilikum wrote: »
    If you had €1000-€1200 what tv would you buy?

I would agree with theteal. I mean we are coming to the end of 2017 and also Black Friday is around the corner. Either wait until Black Friday to see just how much prices drop or wait until the new year when we have 2018 models releasing. Once they release you will be able to pick up a 2017 high end for good money.

Can you afford to wait or do you need a TV right now?

2018 models won’t be released till April time, thats along wait.. Might be some good deals next week kn Black Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    2018 models won’t be released till April time, thats along wait.. Might be some good deals next week kn Black Friday.

This is true, it'll be April-ish time before the new models come out but this year's stuff will drop in price before then. A real killing could be made after that time if a user doesn't mind having an "old" model e.g. I got my DX902 for £1100, that was a £3000 telly when released the year before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

theteal wrote: »
    This is true, it'll be April-ish time before the new models come out but this year's stuff will drop in price before then. A real killing could be made after that time if a user doesn't mind having an "old" model e.g. I got my DX902 for £1100, that was a £3000 telly when released the year before

DX902 is a lovely TV alright but the input lag is quite high on it iirc. I think it is close to 40ms which would be to high for some gamers. In general the TV is great, true 10 bit aswell I think.

logik wrote: »
    DX902 is a lovely TV alright but the input lag is quite high on it iirc. I think it is close to 40ms which would be to high for some gamers. In general the TV is great, true 10 bit aswell I think.

It's measured at 35ms, not spectacular but not bad, I can't say I've noticed, small sacrifice to pay for the overall quality of a telly. Yup, 10 bit, 512 zone FALD, 1300+ nits. Very little out there matches it still. And I'll be keeping it for the guts of 10 years so whether it's a 2016 or 2017 model means nothing to me. . . .apart form the savage discount :D

Moral of the story, wait for prices to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

will56 wrote: »
    Mu6470 on sale in the Currys pre black Friday sale.
    Worth a look or better of paying the extra for the mu7070 ?

Link man. It's so awkward looking for it when you were obviously already on the page. So why not link it?

edit: http://www.currys.ie/category/our-best-deals-this-week/409.5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Registered Users Posts: 35 robertbobert

I might just go with an oled. Anyone have one or recommend which ones best for gaming? I'd say 55". Also am I better off getting it black Friday or waiting until the new year sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Picked up a 49" Sony Bravia 4k UHD HDR tv, 2017 model, last night on Amazon warehouse deals. With the extra 20% off it came in at €488. Not bad for a tv that usually costs around €900.

Arrives tomorrow so will post impressions. XBOX X is standing by.

Anyone got recommendations for pc monitors to watch out for ? 27'' just wouldn't get the use out of a 4k tv with our set up / viewing habits unless eurosport suddenly decide to show the cycling in 4k next season :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Anyone got recommendations for pc monitors to watch out for ? 27'' just wouldn't get the use out of a 4k tv with our set up / viewing habits unless eurosport suddenly decide to show the cycling in 4k next season :D

Isn't the Xbox One X meant to be getting Freesync 2 capability? If so, I'd wait for that and pick up a Freesync 2 monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 robertbobert

Picked up a 49" Sony Bravia 4k UHD HDR tv, 2017 model, last night on Amazon warehouse deals. With the extra 20% off it came in at €488. Not bad for a tv that usually costs around €900.

Arrives tomorrow so will post impressions. XBOX X is standing by.

Have you a link for this tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

was looking at the below myself
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016AWBO2E/ref=psdc_428652031_t1_B014RKZ81O

Have you a link for this tv?

This one. Check out the "other offers" a few for £516 are brand new just with a scuffed remote or missing box. With the 20% off it's around the £420. (€480-490).

Edit forgot the link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0719KDFNJ/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Still only 1080p.
    Get a 1440p one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Looking at buying this. What are people's thoughts?
    60hz , 12ms input lag
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-43uj630v-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/343450/397.0.0

60hz , 12ms input lag
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-43uj630v-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/343450/397.0.0

RBGW panel so technically not 4k

In saying that, some people have good reports of this model.

I can't say it'd be on my list tbh

• Company Representative Posts: 9,461 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

60hz , 12ms input lag

Cough Cough Ahem:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202909-lg-lg-43uj630v.aspx

..and we include delivery / ANE we're Boardies AND we are have our own forum here:
    https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105

And our price is €429 INCLUDING delivery AND a 6 year warranty! ( or £375.99 if you prefer to pay in ££)..

Just sayin'

( and for the price I dont think you can beat that TV - its really excellent value!)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

In saying that, some people have good reports of this model.

I can't say it'd be on my list tbh

Any recommendations on a full 4K in around the same price. Give a take one or two hundred more?

Any recommendations on a full 4K in around the same price. Give a take one or two hundred more?

For the price John is offering above, that LG is a good deal. Other than that, in that price range I'd be looking to get the best Hisense that you can squeeze into your budget.

I will add that you can't really go cheap with 4k if you want to be completely happy. It takes a lot of processing/tech to display a great 4k image (HDR especially) and that doesn't come cheap.

• Advertisement

Cough Cough Ahem:

..and we include delivery / ANE we're Boardies AND we are have our own forum here:

And our price is €429 INCLUDING delivery AND a 6 year warranty! ( or £375.99 if you prefer to pay in ££)..

Just sayin'

( and for the price I dont think you can beat that TV - its really excellent value!)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

OR!! I could win one in a competition ;)

OR!! I could win one in a competition ;)

Sorry i'm winning that one.. oh wait they have two to give away, nice we can share :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

How do you know the panel type?

Going slightly OT here, but need some suggestions for a HDMI switch, I've 2 ports on my monitor which is standard, have to switch cables regularly if I want the PS4 or other stuff on, PC has to be connected. Can anyone recommend one to add at least 2 more ports and do they introduce any lag etc. speakers go to switch or monitor? In which case I'd likely have to run all devices through switch.

Someone might also be able to answer this as they may have a similar setup.

Current TV is Samsung as too is my soundbar and it uses the TV connect function to connect the two so that when the soundbar is on the TV speakers are off and the TV remote controls the volume.

Is there anything similar on LGs or will I need to use the soundbar remote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Cough Cough Ahem:

Just sayin'

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

I love that richersounds get involved an let people know that some online retailers can be beaten in price and warranty. I didn't buy off them, mores the pity. But in about 5 years time I will deffo hit them up first. Heard nothing but good things about them.
    And let's be honest, that's rare nowadays. Well since the Irish guy left PC world(ireland) , at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Going slightly OT here, but need some suggestions for a HDMI switch, I've 2 ports on my monitor which is standard, have to switch cables regularly if I want the PS4 or other stuff on, PC has to be connected. Can anyone recommend one to add at least 2 more ports and do they introduce any lag etc. speakers go to switch or monitor? In which case I'd likely have to run all devices through switch.

None of them are amazing but I am currently using a Kinivo 501bn 5 port and I am very happy with it on my TV but it's not a 4k TV.
    Its the best I could find at the time too.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How do you know the panel type?

It's a cheap LG. That's the first sign. A quick Google of the model confirmed my initial suspicion

Rtings review

It's a cheap LG. That's the first sign. A quick Google of the model confirmed my initial suspicion

Rtings review

Buying a TV is far from straightforward. I was going to get the 49UJ635 from Argos but now you have me wondering.

I have a bunch of vouchers for Argos hence me restricting myself to there but they don't seem to have anything above average and below premium.

• Advertisement

Yes, buying a 4k telly is not remotely straight forward if you actually have a look into specs and want good quality display. Also it's a little scary that, barring the occasional great deal, mid range is going to set you back £1000 - £1500.

I've said it before that a lot of people would be better off with a top end 1080p telly (Sony do a range with HDR) than getting a cheap 4k. Especially so if staying around the 40" - 43" region.

Advertisement