Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yes, I've a pretty good 42inch Samsung, can't fault it at all with plenty of visitors commenting on the picture quality. However my wife suggested a TV for the bedroom so this is the opportunity to move the existing one up and get a larger 4k one. Do I want to spend in the realm of a grand, probably not at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

theteal wrote: »

I've said it before that a lot of people would be better off with a top end 1080p telly (Sony do a range with HDR) than getting a cheap 4k. Especially so if staying around the 40" - 43" region.
    I'm not sure which way to go. Isn't HDR where most of the expensive parts are required? Are the 1080p Sonys any good at HDR?
    I'm kinda interested in 4K for gaming in the future, I accept that HDR isn't going to be worth much on the cheap 4K TVs, which is what my budget will get.
    I'm upgrading from an old 32'' LCD Sony KDL w5500. Mostly because it's too small in the front room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

eyerer wrote: »
    I'm not sure which way to go. Isn't HDR where most of the expensive parts are required? Are the 1080p Sonys any good at HDR?
    I'm kinda interested in 4K for gaming in the future, I accept that HDR isn't going to be worth much on the cheap 4K TVs, which is what my budget will get.
    I'm upgrading from an old 32'' LCD Sony KDL w5500. Mostly because it's too small in the front room.

I've not seen HDR on the Sony's but it won't be worse than the cheap 4k. The cheap 4k screens for the most part have poor nits output which plays a big factor in HDR. What the 1080P Sony will definitely be better at will be motion processing. A TV with poor motion for games/watching sport is next to useless imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

TV showed up today (this Sony one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0719KDFNJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Took a bit of setting up, you have to turn on the HDMI ports to accept enhanced settings to get HDR going and a bunch of other 4K settings. Really weird.

Cranked up Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 on 4K and they look amazing. HDR mode is really nice, Game mode is pretty washed out. I'll work to create a custom mode over the weekend.

TV was used and was advertised as having a larger than 3.5 cm scratch on the front. I thought that would be a 4cm scratch on the plastic. Nope a 27cm scratch on the screen. Amazon offered a full refund if I sent it back, or €115 refund if I wanted to keep it. The scratch is really bad but once the TV is on you don't notice it unless you look for it.

Not a bad TV for €360.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The B7 is dropping in price down to £1399 in the uk, but few places have it in stock at that price.

In fact, it's £1350 in Currys, but again, out of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 robertbobert

CatInABox wrote: »
    The B7 is dropping in price down to £1399 in the uk, but few places have it in stock at that price.

In fact, it's £1350 in Currys, but again, out of stock.

I was waiting to get one after work here in Ireland. But they're going out of stock everywhere. So I may need to sneak out early

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

just reading today that apparently its better to wait for 2018 if you're thinking of buying a 4k.
    2018 brings hdmi v2.1a which brings dynamic hdr, variable refresh rates ie. like freesync or g-sync,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/11/23/why-gamers-should-wait-until-2018-to-buy-a-new-4k-tv/#7be94dfd6213

Blazer wrote: »
    just reading today that apparently its better to wait for 2018 if you're thinking of buying a 4k.
    2018 brings hdmi v2.1a which brings dynamic hdr, variable refresh rates ie. like freesync or g-sync,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/11/23/why-gamers-should-wait-until-2018-to-buy-a-new-4k-tv/#7be94dfd6213

Ah don't be telling me this as I prepare to buy a tv!! I'm very impatient, I may have to wait for this new tech so.

Ah don't be telling me this as I prepare to buy a tv!! I'm very impatient, I may have to wait for this new tech so.

You'll be waiting forever if you keep looking to what's coming next. By the time sets with those new features are affordable there will be talk of what's coming in 2019.

In saying that, the LED landscape isn't great at the minute. The Sony XE90 and XE93 are the only LEDs on the market right now that I would buy (I wouldn't spend £3k on a telly so I don't factor in the ZD9). So it may be a good plan to wait until next year. Apparently Samsung are looking at FALD for their "QLED" range - that could actually win people back to the brand. It looks like Panasonic are focusing on OLED so that'll be one less option for a high end LED - they could be cleaning up right now if the didn't discontinue the DX902 back in April/May, I know it's a 2016 model but there's still very little out there that matches it.

theteal wrote: »
    You'll be waiting forever if you keep looking to what's coming next. By the time sets with those new features are affordable there will be talk of what's coming in 2019.

In saying that, the LED landscape isn't great at the minute. The Sony XE90 and XE93 are the only LEDs on the market right now that I would buy (I wouldn't spend £3k on a telly so I don't factor in the ZD9). So it may be a good plan to wait until next year. Apparently Samsung are looking at FALD for their "QLED" range - that could actually win people back to the brand. It looks like Panasonic are focusing on OLED so that'll be one less option for a high end LED - they could be cleaning up right now if the didn't discontinue the DX902 back in April/May, I know it's a 2016 model but there's still very little out there that matches it.

Would you go with the XE90 over the LG OLED?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I know. I’m looking too but a variable refresh rate would be awesome.
    I also have g-Sync and it’s fantastic , my monitor is 1440p so I’m sure I can stick it out for a while :)

Would you go with the XE90 over the LG OLED?

Depends on price. Most likely not if I had the budget for the OLED.

I did choose to get the DX902 over OLED though and I would again. Apparently some refurbs were available on Pana's ebay page last night for £700 - didn't last very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I wouldn't be that concerned about this.
    The Xbox and PS4 are locked to 60hz and don't go higher than 60FPS. Also the One X has Vsync on at a system level so any type of screen tear due to dips in frame rate is barely noticeable according to digital foundry.

I do have G-Sync on my PC monitor which is great because on my gaming PC my FPS on many games can be up and down like a yoyo. 120fps one minute then down to 80fps the next. Having a variable refresh rate is great but I don't think it will make that much of a difference on console.

Buying 2018 4K is going to be mega bucks. If you want 2018 models you'd be better buying them in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JamesLenihan

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/eiq-55uhdt2holed/electriq-eiq55uhdt2holed-55-inch-oled-tv

What do you guys think? Obviously a bit of a risk with the manufacturer being unknown but a Lg OLED cant be too bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I'm looking at the PANASONIC TX-40EX700B or Sony Bravia KD43XE7093, any suggestions?
    I'm upgrading from a 32" so the Sony has the extra 3" over the Panasonic. The Panasonic has some localised dimming though and higher motion processing. Is the Panasonic worth an extra 50 quid?
    I'm not sure if the 3" difference would be noticeable but a 40" screen is only 8" bigger than the one I'm replacing..

eyerer wrote: »
    I'm looking at the PANASONIC TX-40EX700B or Sony Bravia KD43XE7093, any suggestions?
    I'm upgrading from a 32" so the Sony has the extra 3" over the Panasonic. The Panasonic has some localised dimming though and higher motion processing. Is the Panasonic worth an extra 50 quid?
    I'm not sure if the 3" difference would be noticeable but a 40" screen is only 8" bigger than the one I'm replacing..

I couldn't say which would be best.You'd probably need to see then in the flesh. Also there's a 45" Hinsense around that price bracket that I wouldn't rule out - in fact I'd probably lean to wards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Venema

i pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago and bought a Bravia XE90 55" and my god its amazing.... still trying to fine tune it though

Finally made up my mind and went with the LG B7, my god they were hard to find, most stores sold out. The tv is fantastic, as others have said before I still need to fine tune it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I’m confused now. Should I bother grabbing a €700 4k tv? I’ve a 1080p Samsung and the One X looks great on it. Surely I’d see an improvement with a 4k tv even if it’s not HDR 10?

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I’m confused now. Should I bother grabbing a €700 4k tv? I’ve a 1080p Samsung and the One X looks great on it. Surely I’d see an improvement with a 4k tv even if it’s not HDR 10?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. The minimum spec TV I would buy right now is the XE9005 (which I've seen has dropped to £999 on richersounds UK). There are a lot of OLED bargains going around the last few days (stock looks low though) so I can't help but think I'd stump up the few quid extra were I in the market for a new telly.

• Advertisement

I plugged mine into a mid range 4k LG belonging to a family member over the weekend and I wouldn't be running out to throw money at one. Sure the difference is noticeable but not to the point were I felt I was massively missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

Venema wrote: »
    i pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago and bought a Bravia XE90 55" and my god its amazing.... still trying to fine tune it though

I just ordered one waiting on delivery all reviews i have seen are great on this tv.

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

finno wrote: »
    I just ordered one waiting on delivery all reviews i have seen are great on this tv.

I have my eye on this one but will wait for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Venema

finno wrote: »

its a great tv although i have only been watching the punisher and narcos on netflix and Punisher has this odd marvel grain effect so cant say much on that.

as for AC:Origins its unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Are they not different models in the two links?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

JokerD wrote: »
    Are they not different models in the two links?

No it's called that in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

No it's called that in the US.

Ah ok, I'm in the market myself, it's hard to find input lag on the specifications, very few seem to show it.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,461 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Guys

DECLARED INTEREST - I'm A RETAILER!

Samsung MU7000 / MU6400 are NOT the same

MU7000 is a significantly better TV!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Quick one for ya lads.
    Narrowed to these 3 TVs .
    Want 55inch.
    Hisense
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202656-55n5700.aspx
    Lg
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202986-400326.aspx
    Samsung
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202891-samsung-ue55mu6120-ij1409.aspx
    Any difference in these bar the price?
    I've compared them but unsure of the technical side of things.
    Now I know I won't get the ultimate gaming experience with these at this price range but its the most I can stretch to.
    Want the best bang for the money

Advertisement