Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

amadablam wrote: »
    Thanks CIAB!

This decision keeps getting harder. I want to purchase before this weekend.

Some fantastic prices from richer sounds on both the XE9005 and the Q7.

The Q7 is 49 inch which is perfect for me and it comes with the Samsung One Connect box.

The Samsung seems good value when you get the one connect box too

Both coming in at approx €1200

Whats the negativity on the Qled models? Sorry for the questions but I'm bamboozled. :o

At €1200 would you not be as well holding off for another while and getting the LG OLED?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Amad,

its a pity you cant stretch to 55" sizewise - as we can do better deals (relatively) on the 55Q7 and the 55XE9005 - ( and the 55MU7000!) - I don't want to advertise pricing on this thread but drop me a mail to johnmc@richersounds.ie or a PM and we can do you Boardie specials on the 55" versions.. We also have the SHINY new XF models in 49/55/65/75 from stock - they do look really good and per the review there IS an incremental improvement over the XE series..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Thanks CIAB!

This decision keeps getting harder. I want to purchase before this weekend.

Some fantastic prices from richer sounds on both the XE9005 and the Q7.

The Q7 is 49 inch which is perfect for me and it comes with the Samsung One Connect box.

The Samsung seems good value when you get the one connect box too

Both coming in at approx €1200

Whats the negativity on the Qled models? Sorry for the questions but I'm bamboozled. :o

The main negativity was basically because Samsung released a (ever so slightly) worse performing range of TVs than the previous year (KS series), gave a bullsh!t marketing title as if it's some new tech ("QLED") and then jacked up the price to try fool consumers into thinking that they compete with OLED.

The Q7 is not a bad TV, it's quite good now that the price is in the realm of somewhat reasonableness. They are still edge lit so and have uniformity and lightbleed issues. I would still opt for the XE9005 over it. Also it's making me sad that people think the the MU series is a competitor to the Sony, it's not, it's a low-mid range edge lit. The Sony's (XE90 and 93) are really the only game in town for 2017 LCD, it's them or pay more for OLED - if you can find a Pana DX902 somewhere in the wild that would be even better, I know reconditioned ones pop up on their eBay store.

Anyway, both the XE9005 and Q7 are featured at the beginning of the below

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

TitianGerm wrote: »
    At €1200 would you not be as well holding off for another while and getting the LG OLED?

Don't think they will drop to my price range anytime soon. They look amazing though. :o

Amad,

its a pity you cant stretch to 55" sizewise - as we can do better deals (relatively) on the 55Q7 and the 55XE9005 - ( and the 55MU7000!) - I don't want to advertise pricing on this thread but drop me a mail to johnmc@richersounds.ie or a PM and we can do you Boardie specials on the 55" versions.. We also have the SHINY new XF models in 49/55/65/75 from stock - they do look really good and per the review there IS an incremental improvement over the XE series..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks John, I'll send you an email.

@TheTeal, thank you very much for the explanation and the excellent advice from your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Don't think they will drop to my price range anytime soon. They look amazing though. :o

You have €1200 though. If I was you I'd hold out a bit longer and save more to get the LG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

You have €1200 though. If I was you I'd hold out a bit longer and save more to get the LG.

I agree.

I bought my KS7000 for €1200 back in Feb 2017. Great display but I tell everyone now to save for the LG OLED. Its wasn't an option for me back in 2017 due to the price of OLED displays so I got the KS.

I agree.

I bought my KS7000 for €1200 back in Feb 2017. Great display but I tell everyone now to save for the LG OLED. Its wasn't an option for me back in 2017 due to the price of OLED displays so I got the KS.

Thanks lads

The €1200 is a self imposed financial ceiling :D (I cant justify spending more to myself) I am restricted to 50 inch max size due to where its going and even 55 would take some serious jigging around of the living room. This TV is predominantly for my consoles so its hard to convince myself to spend more than 1200

The OLED looks amazing but from what I have read, viewed, it needs to be 55 or above to really take advantage of all is benefits or is that incorrect? Im limited in size to 50 (max) so its not a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The OLED looks amazing but from what I have read, viewed, it needs to be 55 or above to really take advantage of all is benefits or is that incorrect?

I don't think there are any OLEDs on sale smaller than 55 inch.

wes wrote: »
    I don't think there are any OLEDs on sale smaller than 55 inch.

Maybe a few 1080P models about but I'd imagine even those are scarce at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I know oled are very good looking tvs, but aren't very bad match for gaming with all burn in issues?

• Advertisement

I know oled are very good looking tvs, but aren't very bad match for gaming with all burn in issues?

For my own use I wouldn't be concerned about burn-in issues. Were I younger and be afforded the time to spend hours in gaming sessions then I'd probably have a different perspective. One thing that would concern me though would be the likes of Sky Sports News banners. A user over at AVForums got bad burn-in from exactly that on a 2016 model LG. LG refused to honour warranty as it was within spec apparently - funk that.

The issue now is that OLED is the only option for high-end TVs; be those Sony Panasonic, LG etc. Sony's new XF9005 will fit the price/performance bracket nicely but it is decidedly mid-range (upper mid but still not high-end). Pana's last great LCD was the DX902 which they stopped selling half way through last year. The only option better than that is the Sony ZD9 which is still mad money and also a 2016 model. After that, we're waiting to see what Samsung's micro-LED is like but that'll be another couple of years away. So that's it, you'll most likely have to babysit an OLED if you want a really good screen within the near future.

theteal wrote: »
    For my own use I wouldn't be concerned about burn-in issues. Were I younger and be afforded the time to spend hours in gaming sessions then I'd probably have a different perspective. One thing that would concern me though would be the likes of Sky Sports News banners. A user over at AVForums got bad burn-in from exactly that on a 2016 model LG. LG refused to honour warranty as it was within spec apparently - funk that.

The issue now is that OLED is the only option for high-end TVs; be those Sony Panasonic, LG etc. Sony's new XF9005 will fit the price/performance bracket nicely but it is decidedly mid-range (upper mid but still not high-end). Pana's last great LCD was the DX902 which they stopped selling half way through last year. The only option better than that is the Sony ZD9 which is still mad money and also a 2016 model. After that, we're waiting to see what Samsung's micro-LED is like but that'll be another couple of years away. So that's it, you'll most likely have to babysit an OLED if you want a really good screen within the near future.

Thats the issue with oled. They will all have burn in issue and as LG proved, manufacturers wont take responsibility. I sow that report myself too, LG blamed customer. What is even more scary it doesn't even take so long for burn in and issues with oled to manifest. I would be very pissed off to see burn in on a tv that is not even a year old that I spent 1.5-2k on.
    They do look nice, but I know 100% that my usage will kill it. I play about 90% of the time and the rest is netflix with misses.
    A good solid non oled panel will be my target. Sony xe900 and xf900 are so far best options. Not sure about samsung qled. Its very expensive for what it is.

A good solid non oled panel will be my target. Sony xe900 and xf900 are so far best options. Not sure about samsung qled. Its very expensive for what it is.

From the prices I got this week, the Qled is a lot cheaper than the XF but the XE is still the bargain.

I'd buy one in the morning but no one has a 49 in stock and the 55 won't fit. But the 49 Qled will. I'll probably buy this weekend if I can find a 49 in store

I did notice that the “49 xe90 are a bit like hens teeth at this stage unfortunately. Despite my personal grudge against Samsung (is it evident? :P) the Q7 is not a bad TV, get yourself some bias lighting strips and it’ll be all the better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

I agree.

Thanks lads

The €1200 is a self imposed financial ceiling :D (I cant justify spending more to myself) I am restricted to 50 inch max size due to where its going and even 55 would take some serious jigging around of the living room. This TV is predominantly for my consoles so its hard to convince myself to spend more than 1200

The OLED looks amazing but from what I have read, viewed, it needs to be 55 or above to really take advantage of all is benefits or is that incorrect? Im limited in size to 50 (max) so its not a runner.
    Go on be a devil,if if the bobs I'd go for the the best,scraped all my life,got sound advice from my late brother (cancer last October)if u want it and have the bobs ,spend

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

amadablam wrote:
    I'd buy one in the morning but no one has a 49 in stock and the 55 won't fit. But the 49 Qled will. I'll probably buy this weekend if I can find a 49 in store

I can't post links from the boards app for some reason, but the Samsung QLEDs a are gonna support freesync, so if you've a One X, that's a winner!

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    I can't post links from the boards app for some reason, but the Samsung QLEDs a are gonna support freesync, so if you've a One X, that's a winner!

Thanks dude. :)

Yeah I have the One X and PS Pro and they are the main reason for this TV.

Just trying to get the 49 inch locally. I'm still leaning towards the Sony but may end up with the Samsung due to availability and practicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't think they will drop to my price range anytime soon. They look amazing though

I think it was around August last year when I picked up a new 65" LG OLED in Currys for €1610, including 5 year warranty. The 55" was a couple of hundred less, but you may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb! So it's definitely worth waiting.

As for screen burn, I've no personal experience of it.
    The kids play Fortnite for hours at a time, and also watch channel 601. Neither have caused any issue. On rare occasions, there can be slight image retention for a few seconds after you change channel, but it disappears very quickly.
    The telly minds itself. There's a pixel shift option, so static images are moved so they're not static eg. logos in the corner. Also, if something is paused (Sky, Xbox), the tv either dims itself, or goes into screensaver mode.

Failing all that, there's a "screen wash" option. This is run once the set is turned off and can take a while. I think it basically resets all the pixels or something, so they no longer retain the image.

August is a bit of a wait, but it's definitely on the way!

Anybody got a lump of money burning a hole in their pocket and eyeing up any of the 2018 lineup?

I see Samsung are back in the game with their top of the line Q9FN - little pricey though

LG C8 is £100 more at present - surely you'd just go B7 for ~2 grand less. It'll be interesting to see how these stack up around November time. Does anybody buy these things at this time of year? Madness money

Anybody got a lump of money burning a hole in their pocket and eyeing up any of the 2018 lineup?

I see Samsung are back in the game with their top of the line Q9FN - little pricey though

LG C8 is £100 more at present - surely you'd just go B7 for ~2 grand less. It'll be interesting to see how these stack up around November time. Does anybody buy these things at this time of year? Madness money

Nice and all, but I refuse to pay that kind of money for something that you cant even drive! :pac:

In other news, I finally sorted out lower chest drawer for bedroom, so ill be able to fit new tv 49-55inch.
    Hopefully in a week or two I'll be finally getting 4k TV for xbox one x.
    My budget is 1200eu and the push, but with new models coming out and old ones discounted, its very hard to decided what to go for.
    Samsung last years Qled Q6 is 1050eu in pc world and it looks good, but it has those legs instead of stand, which is just not going to work in my bedroom.
    Then there is Sony 55inch xe850 for 999eu, which looks very good for the price. Right now my favourite.
    I sow Sony 49inch e900 Display model for 1150eu on Mondey in HN, but no way I willl buy display model. Ironically it looked a lot worse then all other TVs.
    New line ups are very expensive or very low end for the price of mid range of last years.

Honesty, looking for new Tv is a lot more stressful then I ever imagined. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Nice and all, but I refuse to pay that kind of money for something that you cant even drive! :pac:

In other news, I finally sorted out lower chest drawer for bedroom, so ill be able to fit new tv 49-55inch.
    Hopefully in a week or two I'll be finally getting 4k TV for xbox one x.
    My budget is 1200eu and the push, but with new models coming out and old ones discounted, its very hard to decided what to go for.
    Samsung last years Qled Q6 is 1050eu in pc world and it looks good, but it has those legs instead of stand, which is just not going to work in my bedroom.
    Then there is Sony 55inch xe850 for 999eu, which looks very good for the price. Right now my favourite.
    I sow Sony 49inch e900 Display model for 1150eu on Mondey in HN, but no way I willl buy display model. Ironically it looked a lot worse then all other TVs.
    New line ups are very expensive or very low end for the price of mid range of last years.

Best not to buy from pc world or curry's, from what I've heard and read a lot of hassle to deal with if something is wrong with it.
    If it must be a b+m shop, did or even powercity. Better still buy from richersounds online from the North, 6 year warranty. Good deals, yet to hear bad things about them. They have a forum on here you can ask for a price match too. Worth alook

deco nate wrote: »
    Best not to buy from pc world or curry's, from what I've heard and read a lot of hassle to deal with if something is wrong with it.
    If it must be a b+m shop, did or even powercity. Better still buy from richersounds online from the North, 6 year warranty. Good deals, yet to hear bad things about them. They have a forum on here you can ask for a price match too. Worth alook

Nice people and incredibly helpful.

They don't do so well at price matching though and seem to have a reason not to match so I'd take that with a pinch of salt :rolleyes: . I Sent them a price to match from Debenhams UK earlier this week on the Q7 and because Debenhams had to ship the TV and it would be a week before dispatch, they wouldn't price match but they would sell the same TV at a lot higher price and ship it for €6.99.

There’s a stupid amount of info to get up to date with to make an informed decision.

Now is the time to get a great deal in last years models, I wouldn’t even consider a new model at this time of year, stupid prices - especially when you know that they’ll be half the price by the end of the year.

I just wouldn’t be happy with anything lower spec than the xe90. The decision is quite simple, it’s FALD or OLED (or perhaps xe93 coz Sony have done some form of witchcraft with edge lighting there). Now the only problem is if there’s any stock of these TVs left out in the wild.

Also, on the mention above about power city. I would buy from Curry’s in a heartbeat before I’d go near power city for such a purchase.

There’s a stupid amount of info to get up to date with to make an informed decision.

Now is the time to get a great deal in last years models, I wouldn’t even consider a new model at this time of year, stupid prices - especially when you know that they’ll be half the price by the end of the year.

I just wouldn’t be happy with anything lower spec than the xe90. The decision is quite simple, it’s FALD or OLED (or perhaps xe93 coz Sony have done some form of witchcraft with edge lighting there). Now the only problem is if there’s any stock of these TVs left out in the wild.

Also, on the mention above about power city. I would buy from Curry’s in a heartbeat before I’d go near power city for such a purchase.

Oh, stop man. It drives me mental. When you are on limited budget, its a nightmare to get a decent TV, because all of them have so many specs and differences.

The last year models are the ones I am looking at. New ones have really stupid price tags right now and its very hard to compare them to lasy years. As you said as well, they will be all pretty much half price by black friday and spring.

I am still looking at Sony xe850 and its now down to 900eu in pcworld. 1000eu in RicherSounds.
    I sow a display model of e900 and it looked so muchworse then the rest. Then read a post on reddit where people complain that its over hyped TV.
    I think RicherSounds still got e900 for 1200eu ish, but its a bit over my budget. And by the time I save up more it will be gone.

So yeah, I got lets say 1k eu for 50-55inch Tv. Any more recommendations or places to look?

Oh, stop man. It drives me mental. When you are on limited budget, its a nightmare to get a decent TV, because all of them have so many specs and differences.

The last year models are the ones I am looking at. New ones have really stupid price tags right now and its very hard to compare them to lasy years. As you said as well, they will be all pretty much half price by black friday and spring.

I am still looking at Sony xe850 and its now down to 900eu in pcworld. 1000eu in RicherSounds.
    I sow a display model of e900 and it looked so muchworse then the rest. Then read a post on reddit where people complain that its over hyped TV.
    I think RicherSounds still got e900 for 1200eu ish, but its a bit over my budget. And by the time I save up more it will be gone.

So yeah, I got lets say 1k eu for 50-55inch Tv. Any more recommendations or places to look?

Afternoon Guys - Declared interest - I work with Richer Sounds!

Thanks for the mention - and double thanks because when I saw the pricing on the KD55XE8596 I realised that we had a pricing error - correct Euro pricing is £799 / €899 ( the euro price includes our 6 year warranty and delivery) ..the Web price should update in about 15 minutes if the boffins are still working on Friday afternoon..

I do have one OPEN BOX KD55XE8596 that we would clear inc delivery & 6 year warranty at €799..

We do have the KD55XE9005 available as well and TBH I think it's a fantastic TV and a massive step-up over the XE85 series - list is £999 / €1249 but we would happily tweak it slightly for Boardies to get it to £969 / €1149.

Again I have one display KD55XE9005 that we would clear at £899 / €1049 inc 6 Year warranty and delivery.

Thanks again and as ever keep us posted if we can assist in any way and of course you can pop across to our own Boards forum at https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105 if you would like to chat :)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Afternoon Guys - Declared interest - I work with Richer Sounds!

Thanks for the mention - and double thanks because when I saw the pricing on the KD55XE8596 I realised that we had a pricing error - correct Euro pricing is £799 / €899 ( the euro price includes our 6 year warranty and delivery) ..the Web price should update in about 15 minutes if the boffins are still working on Friday afternoon..

I do have one OPEN BOX KD55XE8596 that we would clear inc delivery & 6 year warranty at €799..

We do have the KD55XE9005 available as well and TBH I think it's a fantastic TV and a massive step-up over the XE85 series - list is £999 / €1249 but we would happily tweak it slightly for Boardies to get it to £969 / €1149.

Again I have one display KD55XE9005 that we would clear at £899 / €1049 inc 6 Year warranty and delivery.

Thanks again and as ever keep us posted if we can assist in any way and of course you can pop across to our own Boards forum at https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105 if you would like to chat :)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thank you for poping in. Very thin walls on boards.ie :D

Display model price actually not bad priced, but I will be honest, I dont know much about how bad or what issues come up with display models, but "pug knowladge" in myhead says, that poor thing was on for hours and hours every day for at least half year and it wont do tv any favours.

When you say you will do a deal for boardsie, would I contact you directly on boards, call you or still go through website?

Is it possible possible to pm you with more questions or I have to do it through your sub forum?

..Thin walls?? :D:D - I'm always lurking around this thread!

..you can either PM or post on the forum no problem ( if you post on the forum any of the guys can reply, so response will prob be swifter :?

I said display for that 9005 but TBH I'm not sure of its history, I'ts not on Demo at the moment but in stock location 'open box' which could mean a multitude of things!

Thanks again and as ever drop any of us a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

..Thin walls?? :D:D - I'm always lurking around this thread!

..you can either PM or post on the forum no problem ( if you post on the forum any of the guys can reply, so response will prob be swifter :?

I said display for that 9005 but TBH I'm not sure of its history, I'ts not on Demo at the moment but in stock location 'open box' which could mean a multitude of things!

Thanks again and as ever drop any of us a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks, I PMed you!

Well lads, thx to John from Richersounds I ordered myself 55xe900. Great to be able to deal with someone on boards.ie like this.

Bring on wensday!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Well lads, thx to John from Richersounds I ordered myself 55xe900. Great to be able to deal with someone on boards.ie like this.

Bring on wensday!!!

You wont be disappointed. Its a class set. Got one before Christmas and well impressed still with it.

Advertisement