Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Samsung released a firmware update for their 2018 QLEDs that includes support for Freesync. Be interesting to see how it pans out now, should get articles appearing over the next few days I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, first of all, really massive shout out to richersounds.ie. Fantastic dealing with them and I got everything sorted over boards and one phone call. I could not praise them more when it comes to do business. Will recommend them to anyone who is looking for anything electronics related.
    So my TV arrived today at 9 in the morning right before I needed to leave for work. So I got a new toy and had to leave it behind to go to work. :pac:

Took ages to set it up after work, but its working. First thoughts:

I really can see difference in 4k games, and its massive improvement over my old 1080p 42inch TV. The bigger size means I can actually play Fortnite and see people in distance, not just a random pixel blinking.
    Hdr though... I cant see it at all in any game. I definitely see 4k, but hdr - nope.
    Now I set it up properly. Enhanced 4k turned on in TV and when I go to xbox check list, its all green now.
    Games I tried that jave HDR:
    Forza horizon 3
    Forza 7
    Monster hunter world

Picture setting are out of the box as came. I scrolled through presets and chose vivid. Looked at the gaming one and it looked so dim and crappy.

I sow there are recommended settings for this tv and I will play away with them when I have day off.

So yeah, love TV, love the crowd I got it from, love 4k and I just dont see HDR at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Okay, first of all, really massive shout out to richersounds.ie. Fantastic dealing with them and I got everything sorted over boards and one phone call. I could not praise them more when it comes to do business. Will recommend them to anyone who is looking for anything electronics related.
    So my TV arrived today at 9 in the morning right before I needed to leave for work. So I got a new toy and had to leave it behind to go to work. :pac:

Took ages to set it up after work, but its working. First thoughts:

I really can see difference in 4k games, and its massive improvement over my old 1080p 42inch TV. The bigger size means I can actually play Fortnite and see people in distance, not just a random pixel blinking.
    Hdr though... I cant see it at all in any game. I definitely see 4k, but hdr - nope.
    Now I set it up properly. Enhanced 4k turned on in TV and when I go to xbox check list, its all green now.
    Forza horizon 3
    Forza 7
    Monster hunter world

Picture setting are out of the box as came. I scrolled through presets and chose vivid. Looked at the gaming one and it looked so dim and crappy.

I sow there are recommended settings for this tv and I will play away with them when I have day off.

So yeah, love TV, love the crowd I got it from, love 4k and I just dont see HDR at all.

On the TV use the YouTube app and search hdr chess, that will show you how good hdr is(or just search Hdr) and lose a few hours soaking it in:D

Edit:on the TV itself, I think you have to find the hdmi settings on turn something on? I've a Samsung and I think I had to do this, it's been a while so I'm not too sure...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Forza horizon 3
    Forza 7
    Monster hunter world

It took me ages to get the right settings for my tv, it's definitely worth it though.

Make sure you're on Game Mode though, otherwise the TV will introduce unneccessary lag into the equation. It does turn off stuff that brightens the screen, so you'll need to mess around with the settings manually as well. The settings that you find online will get you into the ballpark area, but probably won't be perfect for your particular panel, so as I said, mess around.

Also, The HDR depends on the game, the two Forzas are good, but it's quite subtle at the best of times, so they're probably not the best example to go looking for it. Monster Hunter World has an HDR implementation that's fundamentally broken, it actually looks worse than SDR, or at least it was around release. Not sure if it's been fixed since.

The best HDR I've seen so far? Assassin's Creed Origins.

Okay, I tried youtube and 4k hdr stuff and it looks freaking amazing.
    Now watching 4k netflix with misses and TV looks just amazing.

So I set it up in game mode for games and vivid for other stuff.
    Gaming mode looks very dim and dark. It does feels responsive, but kind of defeats the purpose of whole hdr and eye candy.
    Brightness already on max, but still very dark, but if I play with black levels brightness really increases.

I just need to look for some proper seddings for my TV online that are gaming focused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I just need to look for some proper seddings for my TV online that are gaming focused.

What are your recommended settings for HDR gaming?

I am using an Xbox One X and trying to get the best picture when playing a game in HDR mode.
    First, connect the Xbox One X to HDMI port 2 or 3 and then enable 'Enhanced Format' as shown above. Enable HDR on the Xbox and select the 'Game' picture mode on the TV. Then follow these settings:

Brightness: Max
    Color: 50
    Contrast: 90
    Gamma: 0
    Black Level: 50
    Black Adjust: Off
    Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
    Auto Local Dimming: High
    X-tended Dynamic Range: High
    Color Temperature: Adjust to your preference
    Live Color: Off
    All 'Clarity' settings disabled
    Motionflow: Off

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e/settings

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    What are your recommended settings for HDR gaming?

I am using an Xbox One X and trying to get the best picture when playing a game in HDR mode.
    First, connect the Xbox One X to HDMI port 2 or 3 and then enable 'Enhanced Format' as shown above. Enable HDR on the Xbox and select the 'Game' picture mode on the TV. Then follow these settings:

Brightness: Max
    Color: 50
    Contrast: 90
    Gamma: 0
    Black Level: 50
    Black Adjust: Off
    Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
    Auto Local Dimming: High
    X-tended Dynamic Range: High
    Color Temperature: Adjust to your preference
    Live Color: Off
    All 'Clarity' settings disabled
    Motionflow: Off

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e/settings

I found game mode out of box very very bad. Whatever they did with it, it makes whites look brown and greens very... brownish or greyish?
    I pretty much kept gaming mode, but colour changed from expert 1 to "cool" or "cold", whatever its called and kept live colour on as it gives back colour saturation. I hope it does not have too much of an impact on response time.

Still had no chance to play properly as misses wanted to watch 13 reasons why all last night... I got myself a new toy and can't even play with it. :pac:

From what I played so far:
    Monster Hunter is fantastic on such tv. Teosta looked massive and immersion was way higher then playing on old tv.
    Fortnite is completely different experience. I can actually read text on map and see people in distance. Makes it so much easier.

I want to try 4k Doom on my day off. That should be sweet!

Oh yeah, where would you go to get some 4k blu rays? I really want to see both Guardians of the Galaxy in 4k! Netflix has very limited 4k selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

I want to try 4k Doom on my day off. That should be sweet!
    DOOM in 4K60 is a thing of absolute beauty! Enojy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Oh yeah, where would you go to get some 4k blu rays? I really want to see both Guardians of the Galaxy in 4k! Netflix has very limited 4k selection.

Do yourself a favour and buy Planet Earth 2 4k HDR Blu-ray

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Did you get HDR working then?
    Doom is also on my list

I'd look to AVforums classified section for 4k disks, there's a good selling/swapping section there - they're still quite expensive to buy new. In saying that I did see a few deals pop up for the likes of zaavi in the last week or two.

Also I very recently watched a downloaded copy of the new Blade Runner and was blown away by the quality (surround sound included), it was a massive file mind, about 40gb iirc

On a slightly side note, the champs league final was the first bit of broadcast 4k material I've watched and I can't say I noticed much improvement over HD, I'm putting that down to my set being quite good at upscaling, need to investigate further

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    Did you get HDR working then?
    Doom is also on my list

I'd look to AVforums classified section for 4k disks, there's a good selling/swapping section there - they're still quite expensive to buy new. In saying that I did see a few deals pop up for the likes of zaavi in the last week or two.

Also I very recently watched a downloaded copy of the new Blade Runner and was blown away by the quality (surround sound included), it was a massive file mind, about 40gb iirc

On a slightly side note, the champs league final was the first bit of broadcast 4k material I've watched and I can't say I noticed much improvement over HD, I'm putting that down to my set being quite good at upscaling, need to investigate further

A bit late to come back with update, because I forgot a bit lol and enjoying my new TV a lot!!!
    Hdr was working as intended, its just a lot of games doing very lazy job at it.
    As someome suggested I watched youtube hdr 4k stuff and immediately went: yup, its working andit looks amazing.
    Funny enough I am using one of the apps to watch movies and series, I guess I am not allowed to say its name, but most people will know it now. So we watched Westworld season 2 and I am certain it has hdr, but no 4k and it looks sick!!!
    As for 4k hdr blurays. I went to few shops in city and non of them had 4k ones, only standard old stuff. So onlyreal options is amazon? I dont want many movies, but I do wantboth Guardians ofthe Galaxy movies. They are my favourite movies that came in the last 10 years.

Now what do I think about sony 900 series after having it for a week? Its fantastic TV and my gaming experience increased by a lot. I even got an advantages in games like Fortnite. I can see people in distance now and engage mid to long range encounters, which I couldn't do on my old 42inch TV.
    One very very annoying thing. Tv isset on my google account, but we use misses Netflix account. I cant log in with her details as it puts my email in there and no way of changing it.
    At least built in chromecast is super handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Sony KD-55XE7003

Anyone know about this tv? Would it be good for the Xbox?

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Sony KD-55XE7003

Anyone know about this tv? Would it be good for the Xbox?

Oh, good luck m8. You will need it. Buying 4k tv is a nightmare as there are so much to it. Just because tv has a label HDR and 4k does not mean it actually can do a decent job at it.

From fast googling that model, the short answer would be: its not great. Will do 4k, but hdr will be far from decent. Its not android tv too, which is hit and miss. I personally love it.

I would suggest bumping up budget a bit more. You might pick up 2017 xe850 series then. It would be the loswest I would go.
    Talk to lads on richersounds.ie and they might give you best option for your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Stupify

Just bought a PS4 Pro at the weekend there and decided to look into 4k TVs. I honestly am stumped, I think I've narrowed it down to the Sony 55XE9005 or the Samsung NU8000, whats peoples take on these two, I know the Sony is highly regarded but haven't heard much about the Samsung. I also saw the older model Samsung KS7000 for £900 but don't know if it'd be worth it going for a 2016 model, surely things have gotten better since then.

Stupify wrote: »
    Just bought a PS4 Pro at the weekend there and decided to look into 4k TVs. I honestly am stumped, I think I've narrowed it down to the Sony 55XE9005 or the Samsung NU8000, whats peoples take on these two, I know the Sony is highly regarded but haven't heard much about the Samsung. I also say the older model Samsung KS7000 for £900 but don't know if it'd be worth it going for a 2016 model, surely things have gotten better since then.

The XE9005 will be first choice from what you mentioned. The Samsung NU range is a fair step down, the Q7 is the rival of the XE9005 but I'd still go with the Sony.
    Nothing wrong with the KS7000 (well, the back might fall off, seriously), the Q7, it's supposed upgrade, has nothing over it. I thought it might be cheaper at this stage though.

And no, thing haven't improved much since 2016. OLEDs have got a smidge brighter and slightly less screenburny. LCDs are kind of at a standstill. My own 2016 TV is still in the top three LCDs ever sold. There are newer features like Dolby Vision but if the HDR performance is already good, you won't miss that much at all.

The XE9005 will be first choice from what you mentioned. The Samsung NU range is a fair step down, the Q7 is the rival of the XE9005 but I'd still go with the Sony.
    Nothing wrong with the KS7000 (well, the back might fall off, seriously), the Q7, it's supposed upgrade, has nothing over it. I thought it might be cheaper at this stage though.

And no, thing haven't improved much since 2016. OLEDs have got a smidge brighter and slightly less screenburny. LCDs are kind of at a standstill. My own 2016 TV is still in the top three LCDs ever sold. There are newer features like Dolby Vision but if the HDR performance is already good, you won't miss that much at all.

Disappointing to hear things have stagnated with tvs, so seems I have a choice to make with regards the XE9005 and the KS7000. The XE9005 is 100 pounds more on richersounds than the KS7000 which I can find locally, is it 100 pounds better though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Great advice as always from theteal.

You wont find a KS7000 at this stage, highly unlikely anyway. The Q7 is getting freesync but its a very expensive TV for what it is.

The XE9005 is coming in at fantastic value at the moment of around 1199 or something around that for 55 inch.

Im going for the XF9005 myself and while its a few quid over the XE, it is a noticeably better picture from what I have seen in stores and also from reviews.

Harvey Normal had 2 Panasonic 902 in their limerick store at 1199 each but the boxed one sold before I saw it and I dont fancy a display model thats had hundred, maybe thousands of hours of up time.

Disappointing to hear things have stagnated with tvs, so seems I have a choice to make with regards the XE9005 and the KS7000. The XE9005 is 100 pounds more on richersounds than the KS7000 which I can find locally, is it 100 pounds better though?

message richersounds on here and they will more than likely do a better price for you ;)

amadablam wrote: »
    Great advice as always from theteal.

You wont find a KS7000 at this stage, highly unlikely anyway. The Q7 is getting freesync but its a very expensive TV for what it is.

The XE9005 is coming in at fantastic value at the moment of around 1199 or something around that for 55 inch.

Im going for the XF9005 myself and while its a few quid over the XE, it is a noticeably better picture from what I have seen in stores and also from reviews.

Harvey Normal had 2 Panasonic 902 in their limerick store at 1199 each but the boxed one sold before I saw it and I dont fancy a display model thats had hundred, maybe thousands of hours of up time.

I looked at the XF also but just couldn't justify the price difference between it and the XE, both lovely TVs though.

I can source a KS7000 locally, it's actually a curved model so the KS7500. Just don't like the thought of buying a 2016 TV but if it's still the best choice I'd do it.

For £100 I'd go with the Sony - although do test it in the shop as some people hate Android TV as it can be a little slow.

• Advertisement

I looked at the XF also but just couldn't justify the price difference between it and the XE, both lovely TVs though.

I can source a KS7000 locally, it's actually a curved model so the KS7500. Just don't like the thought of buying a 2016 TV but if it's still the best choice I'd do it.

I cant get on with the look of curved TV's at all and dont really see the benefit.

Of the TV's you are looking at, you will get a great deal on the XE at the moment and Id say, I am almost sure, that the XF and some Samsung models will be taking a small drop in price over the coming weeks, month or so.

For £100 I'd go with the Sony - although do test it in the shop as some people hate Android TV as it can be a little slow.

I'll have a look after work and make the call then. Cheers Teal.

If anybody watches HDTVtest on youtube, the guy has said that the XF9005 is the best all rounder for watching the world cup, quite a claim.

As much as I love my 902, I would not touch a display model either.

If anybody watches HDTVtest on youtube, the guy has said that the XF9005 is the best all rounder for watching the world cup, quite a claim.

As much as I love my 902, I would not touch a display model either.

Apparently the XF is very good for 4K gaming also.

Im really hoping Ive made the right decision on this as Im sick to my teeth of watching reviews :o:o

Apparently the XF is very good for 4K gaming also.

Im really hoping Ive made the right decision on this as Im sick to my teeth of watching reviews :o:o

I wouldn't fret in the slightest. The XF is the only new FALD that's not absurdly expensive - the Q9 is €2900 :eek: so it's pretty much in a league of it's own. I wouldn't rule out a 2017 OLED in the XF's price range either but that'll be a coin toss you'll have to make.

I wouldn't fret in the slightest. The XF is the only new FALD that's not absurdly expensive - the Q9 is €2900 :eek: so it's pretty much in a league of it's own. I wouldn't rule out a 2017 OLED in the XF's price range either but that'll be a coin toss you'll have to make.

cheers lad, thats good to hear! :)

I was happy to push budget to 1600-1700 but Im completely restricted on sub 55 sets so the XF seems to fit the space (literally) better than anything else other than the Q7f but Im very impressed with the XF picture wise.

Dont envy anyone reaching their decision as its taken me months!

Another vote for xe559005 here, if you scroll back a page you will see my saga of getting a TV. Went with that Sony and could not be happier. Cant beat that value if you can still find one. As mentioned, ask John from Richersounds.ie here, he might have some in stock. Samsung NU series are regarded as crap compared to 2016 models and it wont be even near the quality of That Sony TV.

Collected the XF9005 today. Very impressed.

So far so good. Totally happy with it but need to get the settings right for hdr and stuff.

Also a bit mad that only two of the four hdmi ports are for hdr and high quality settings. Port 2-3

I'll be either awake all night getting the Xbox One X and Pro set up or I'll do it tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've a mid-range Samsung 4K TV and through not enough researching, I discovered after I bought it that only one HDMI port does HDR. Really irritating as I've to switch between devices.

• Advertisement

I've a mid-range Samsung 4K TV and through not enough researching, I discovered after I bought it that only one HDMI port does HDR. Really irritating as I've to switch between devices.

you could use a 4k switch on the port and at least they would be both connected as you would only be using one at a time anyway? Just make sure its got full 4K support. They are fairly cheap as well.

Advertisement