Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    DOOM in 4K60 is a thing of absolute beauty! Enojy! :D

Time for a replay of this over the weekend I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

amadablam wrote: »
    Collected the XF9005 today. Very impressed.

So far so good. Totally happy with it but need to get the settings right for hdr and stuff.

Also a bit mad that only two of the four hdmi ports are for hdr and high quality settings. Port 2-3

I'll be either awake all night getting the Xbox One X and Pro set up or I'll do it tomorrow :D
    Gratz, excellent choice. I cant fault my one at all.
    There are good few vidoes for setup of xe900, you will need to activate it on tv in settings and then check xbox one x itslef. All has to be lit green.
    Make sure to set it im to gaming mode and then play around with picture settings. Out of the box gaming mode looks like ass and very yellowish dark. I played around and manage to make it look pretty bright and colourful.
    Now I myself did not liked any of the settings posted online for this tv. It makes colours accurate, but it looks very drab and plain. Almost like SD TV. I would recommend just doing it yourself to your liking, even if it is not 100% colour accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KD43XE8004-X-Reality-Triluminos-Freeview/dp/B01MSDLCPM

Do ye know anything about that tv, lads/ladies?

Any good for gaming?

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KD43XE8004-X-Reality-Triluminos-Freeview/dp/B01MSDLCPM

Do ye know anything about that tv, lads/ladies?

Any good for gaming?

Its xe800, which is not great at all. If you are on very limited budget I would suggest bumping up to at least xe850.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Gratz, excellent choice. I cant fault my one at all.
    There are good few vidoes for setup of xe900, you will need to activate it on tv in settings and then check xbox one x itslef. All has to be lit green.
    Make sure to set it im to gaming mode and then play around with picture settings. Out of the box gaming mode looks like ass and very yellowish dark. I played around and manage to make it look pretty bright and colourful.
    Now I myself did not liked any of the settings posted online for this tv. It makes colours accurate, but it looks very drab and plain. Almost like SD TV. I would recommend just doing it yourself to your liking, even if it is not 100% colour accurate.

He’s got the 2018 XF model so perhaps the oob settings are better. I’ve not yet seen one in the flesh but if it’s anyway better than the XE it’ll be very very good - as the reviews seem to suggest

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    He’s got the 2018 XF model so perhaps the oob settings are better. I’ve not yet seen one in the flesh but if it’s anyway better than the XE it’ll be very very good - as the reviews seem to suggest

Cheers lads.

I agree with you shadow hearth, some of the setting recommendations do need tweaking.

Have to say that the XF9005 out of the box settings are pretty decent but as mentioned, color on game mode is muted and drab.

I've set up the PS Pro and the One X on it and while I haven't nailed the settings entirely, I'm almost there.

HDR on this TV is fantastic. God of War looks unreal as I does Assassins Creed Origins and of course The Witcher! . I'll stick on Doom later though and MHW should look great. Forza 7 looked OK but not amazing. I've plenty more games to put through the paces though. :cool:

Even managed a bit of 1080p (retro) lol Splatoon 2 Octo on the Switch.:cool:

Just a note to anyone buying, if you are using a 1080p console on these sets, input lag is higher due to needing to upscale the image as native 4k inputs have low lag.

Everything looks great on it and the reviews have been spot on about this set. It really is a bargain for the performance and the X1 Chipset is supposed to be pretty future proofed. :D

Thanks very much all of the help and guidance, especially from the Teal who is the resident guru on here for us. :)

For anyone looking at this TV, it's definitely worth every penny and its going to take a small drop in price as part of the sales balancing on the Sony lines so it's going to be even better value.

For me, I didn't need OLED for the space it's in and I think my XF is as good as I'll ever need. Fortunately I got to see the Q7 and the XE and XF all together before I paid my money and made my choice.

For anyone going through the decision process, I urge you to try and view them all together as while they are all great in their own right, image quality can be a little bit subjective when you are at the finer stages of your decision process.

Yeah the reviews are superb and none will disappoint, but your own eyes won't lie and they will guide your pocket on the final decision :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Hi folks looking to buy a 4k tv for Xbox one x and ps4 pro tomorrow

Looking to buy in a store any good deals out there

Hoping to get a 40 inch or as close as

amadablam wrote: »

Thanks very much all of the help and guidance, especially from the Teal who is the resident guru on here for us. :)

Appreciate the mention but I'm just a bloke (with some level of OCD) who had to go through the painstaking research of TV tech a couple of years before you did. I'm just happy to help while the info I have is still relevant and accurate.

Hi folks looking to buy a 4k tv for Xbox one x and ps4 pro tomorrow

Looking to buy in a store any good deals out there

Hoping to get a 40 inch or as close as

I know nothing about anything below "49. The manufacturers don't give a hoot about anything below that size, none of their mid-high end sets are made in smaller sizes. Last year I would have said to get the best Hisense you can afford but I don't know if that's still the case with newer models. They were trying to take a chunk out of the big boys market share so they were packing in tech while keeping prices down.

Hellblade on Xbox One X in enriched visuals on the XF is a thing of utter beauty! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Is there much of a difference playing Xbox in 4k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Asus X540L wrote: »

Definitely. Had 4k TV since Christmas but only picked up One X last month. Thought I'd only notice marginal difference but I was surprised at how much clearer One X enhanced titles look.

Gears 4 is a thing of beauty in 4k mode and from playing it on the One S I wondered how much better this game could look that it already does but its a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Any recommendations for a budget 4K tv that's good with the One X?

Are sub €600 4Ks a no go?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

shuffles03 wrote:
    Any recommendations for a budget 4K tv that's good with the One X?

Have a Hisense 55" for past 2 years and would highly recommend it.

A quick look at richersounds.ie and they have quite a decent offering under 600.
    The Samsung UE55MU6120 seems to have excellent reviews all above 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sky had three decent deals on TVs last week. There was a thread on Bargain Alerts so might be worth checking out.

https://accessories.sky.com/catalogue/tech/all

Only two options available now but worth a look anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That Panasonic is a crap TV, be better off with a decent 1080P set over that. They did have a somewhat respectable LG 4K TV for the same price (€329) last week that was a real bargain but they're sold out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That Panasonic is a crap TV, be better off with a decent 1080P set over that. They did have a somewhat respectable LG 4K TV for the same price (€329) last week that was a real bargain but they're sold out now.

Yea the LG was the one to buy.

Personally I find the extra assets and higher frame rate (performance mode) to be more of a visual improvement. I think that is down to how good the X is at upscaling, when comparing to native 4k there is no noticeable difference to me.

Then again, I'm sitting 2-3 metres from the tv, if you're on a desk setup maybe it matters more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

skerry wrote: »

Definitely. Had 4k TV since Christmas but only picked up One X last month. Thought I'd only notice marginal difference but I was surprised at how much clearer One X enhanced titles look.

Gears 4 is a thing of beauty in 4k mode and from playing it on the One S I wondered how much better this game could look that it already does but its a big difference.

I have my doubts to be honest, I picked up a 4k tv and use my original xbone and ps4 through it and I saw a massive difference in quality.

I wonder do some people see a huge difference in it because a lot of the time they upgrade to the 4k tv and 4k console at the same time?

More than likely I'm wrong but just seems like a lot to upgrade the console for an X while I'm already seeing a big jump in quality.

That being said I did also go from a 4-5 year old 49" to a 49" 4k so I was bound to see a good increase in quality anyway!

SeanHarty wrote: »
    I have my doubts to be honest, I picked up a 4k tv and use my original xbone and ps4 through it and I saw a massive difference in quality.

I wonder do some people see a huge difference in it because a lot of the time they upgrade to the 4k tv and 4k console at the same time?

More than likely I'm wrong but just seems like a lot to upgrade the console for an X while I'm already seeing a big jump in quality.

That being said I did also go from a 4-5 year old 49" to a 49" 4k so I was bound to see a good increase in quality anyway!

I had the 4k TV for a while hooked up to the One S which I believe does some upscaling and HDR in some titles but definitely saw a big difference in games like Gears and Witcher 3.

I stuck Witcher 3 on the One S the night before I got the X just to remind myself what it looked like and its much clearer on the X. Also runs a hell of a lot smoother

• Advertisement

You happy you made the switch in terms of cost etc?

Both my consoles are running perfect so would find it hard to pay the money for the upgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The problem is so many people think you need to have 4K to justify a One X or Pro.

Even at 1080p the difference is night and day.

If you think of it this way - a normal Xbox 1 on most of the more intensive titles is usually similar to PC 720P medium settings.

The Xbox One X is more like 1080p high-ultra, and often has a higher (or simply more stable) framerate too which is hugely beneficial.

If you have a decent 1080P TV, there's still huge benefit in getting a One X.

I play my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro on a 1080p monitor in fact.

You happy you made the switch in terms of cost etc?

Both my consoles are running perfect so would find it hard to pay the money for the upgrade

I was same, my One S was running fine but I'd been thinking of getting the One X for a while. Moved house last year and was blue in the face from buying lawnmowers, appliances etc. I had to treat myself to something or I would have cracked up.

Got the One X with Overwatch, Lego Superheroes 2 and CoD WWII for around €450 so will be trading in the One S and it won't too expensive an upgrade then and I'm future proofed for a good while.

At least that's how I justified it to myself :)

Sounds like you got a good deal on it as well to be fair!

Overwatch is a great game and well supported, always good to have a Lego game to just mess with and COD is an AAA title so happy days!

I'm due a bonus next month and usually treat myself to something so either upgrade one of the consoles or get a switch I'm terrible at making decisions

Sounds like you got a good deal on it as well to be fair!

Overwatch is a great game and well supported, always good to have a Lego game to just mess with and COD is an AAA title so happy days!

I'm due a bonus next month and usually treat myself to something so either upgrade one of the consoles or get a switch I'm terrible at making decisions

Switch crossed my mind but with a 4K TV waiting there to be taken advantage of and a big library of games already that I can use on the X it was easy choice for me in the end.

I'm planning on trading in the 3 games, Overwatch was the only one I considered keeping but I haven't really gave it much chance yet only a quick blast of training match. Used to D2 PVP and found Overwatch a lot slower.

There was good One X deals on Tesco direct when I got mine but not sure there will be many more as its closing down. Keep an eye on HDUK though and they do pop up from time to time.

Personally I can't get use to D2 PvP it's a great PvE shooter though!

I personally think its a massive leap in console world. I was always a pc gamer and with xbox one x, I can finally say: yeah, games dont look like ass on consoles anymore.
    Got xbox one x in January and only had 42inch full hd tv. Even then I felt a big difference to my phat ps4. Games ran smoother. Perfect example is fotnite. It looked way better on xbox one x on old tv, then it looks on xbox one s when my ratty plays in living room on full hd tv.
    When I got decent 4k tv, it was even more noticable. Could not go back to normal tv and normal console.

In my opinion xbox one x is well worth it if you are playing more then casual. From some speculation I read, Microsoft might launch family of consoles with next gen. Cheaper one and premium one with stronger hardware. I love that idea and I know which one ill pick up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just picked up a 4k HDR LG Tv yesterday. Played a bit last night and so far I'm pretty impressed. I just played a bit of Rise of The Tomb Raider as that title is both 4k and HDR. I also picked up The Witcher 3 as that is also 4K and HDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Hi All,

I got a Sony Bravia KD-43XE8005 about 3 months back.

I’m looking at upgrading to a 55’’ but have read the newer Sony has a 40 sec input lag?

What tv would ye recommend 1.5k budget.

• Advertisement

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I got a Sony Bravia XE830 - 43’’ about 3 months back.

I’m lookinv at upgrading to a 55’’ but have read the newer Sony has a 40 sec input lag?

What tv would ye recommend 1.5k budget.

Not sure what model you are referring to having that level of lag but a question for your to check before accepting that 40 sec (Im sure its m/s though) lag is to whether that measurement was taken from a 1080p signal being upscaled to 4k or whether its a 4k native signal to a 4k TV?

( If you are looking at the sony XF, the lag is documented at 40 m/s for 1080p but between 23-24 m/s or less for 4K )

I do know from my own research and personal experiences that much of the higher levels of lag on some of the new high end TV's isnt reflective of the of a 4k console sending a native 4k signal to a 4 k TV and instead is 1080 or lower, being upscaled. The native signal is going to be much lower in most cases.

For your budget you can go OLED on an LG but I had a similar budget and went with an XF 9005 (Best in class reviews on many sites) and couldnt be happier. I have a ONE X, a PS PRO, A Nintendo Switch and an NVIDIA Shield on mine (obviously the Pro and XBOX ONE X are utilising the HDMI ports with HDR capability)

Another thing I have noticed is people complaining that they cant see the difference on their One X or PS pro in 4K and that they have a 4K TV........................Not all 4K TV's are equal as we all well know and I dont understand how someone thinks that a sub 500 euro TV without half of the processing power and a sub 8 bit panel, etc. is expected to give the same image quality as a TV with significantly higher specs, panels, etc. While I know that there are some exceptions, its definitely not the norm.

I think people need to also match expectations to their budgets as well and try and get the best outcome for that

Advertisement