Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    They are different tvs yeah but Samsung in all their wisdom thought it was a great idea to name their models differently in U.S than Europe so the 8000 in U. S is the 7000 in Europe and the 9000 in U. S is 8000 in Europe etc.

It can be confusing when trying to research them as any American sites or reviewers talking about the 7000 won't be talking about the 7000 we'd be looking at buying.

Stupid Samsung.

Did not know this, thanks. A little google gave me this page which breaks them down a little http://www.flatpanelshd.com/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1460114926

So I can scrap getting the KS8000 and just focus on the KS7000.

• I've been doing some research on my TV 50DX700B for the best possible settings for HDR configuration with the One S.
    True cinema and game mode enabled is key. I will post up the exact configuration later for anyone that's interested.

• So to follow up: The most important settings in bold

True Cinema On
    Back-light 100
    Contrast 90
    Brightness default
    Colour 50
    Tint Default
    Sharpness 0
    Colour Temp Warm 2
    Vivd Colour off
    Colour Remaster off
    Reversal Film Effect off
    Adaptive Back-light Control Min Without this HDR will not work as intended. This allows the TV to adjust the backlight according to the light source
    Ambient Sensor off
    Noise Reduction off
    MPEG Remaster off
    Resolution remaster off
    Dynamic Range Remaster off
    Intelligent Frame Creation off
    Clear Motion off

Under Advanced Settings;
    Contrast Control off or Auto (Minimal difference between both)
    Colour Gamut Rec. 2020

Under Gamma;
    Gamma 2.4

Lastly under Option Settings;
    Game Mode On

This was a breakdown of AVForums guide with some tweaks of my own based on my experience thus far.

Essentially what it's designed to do is emphasize the full HDR experience
    Each light source has the ability to brighten or darken depending on where you are looking. It's Jaw dropping in Gears 4. Hard to explain unless you actually are viewing it.

Make sure to set the HDMI source to Auto
    The Xbox One S will detect when HDR enabled games or media play and automatically launch into HDR mode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

If only the stand feet weren't so far apart on the 7000! I've to get the 8000 or a new tv stand. Gonna wait and see what happens in the sales.
    rizzla wrote: »
    Did not know this, thanks. A little google gave me this page which breaks them down a little http://www.flatpanelshd.com/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1460114926

So I can scrap getting the KS8000 and just focus on the KS7000.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Batesy wrote: »
    If only the stand feet weren't so far apart on the 7000! I've to get the 8000 or a new tv stand. Gonna wait and see what happens in the sales.

Ha had to do the exact same thing!

Bought a 65 inch 8000 series last month in order to avoid having to buy new furniture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Ha had to do the exact same thing!

Bought a 65 inch 8000 series last month in order to avoid having to buy new furniture.

Lovely. How are you finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Batesy wrote: »
    Lovely. How are you finding it?

Delighted with it. Bought it from Richersounds in Belfast. Exchange rate made it far too tempting.

Had an older 6400 series prior to this and I am shocked at how much more responsive the menus etc are. The Smart TV features such as Netflix literally load on click.

Asides from that, 4k content looks exceptional - mainly sourced content from Netflix but also bought Mad Max on UHD Bluray.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

41k-DErhmAL.jpg.

Lads,

For anyone with the "wide feet" issue, I bought this from Amazon.

As long as your tv has VESA mounting points, you should be good to go.

Obviously it's not as stable as having the wide feet, but it's perfectly adequate at what it does, and it saves having to get new furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Harvey Norman will be having the Staff & Friends Discount sale on the 6th November
    There might be some deal there for a TV, who knows but you will need to sign up for an invite.
    There's a form for it somewhere but I cant find it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I was at the last one, it wasn't great tbh. Their best deals you'd get the TV for the same price from Richersounds.

Saying that, they did have the Windows version of XB1 controller with adapter for like 35 which was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I was at the last one, it wasn't great tbh. Their best deals you'd get the TV for the same price from Richersounds.

Saying that, they did have the Windows version of XB1 controller with adapter for like 35 which was very good.

is that hardwired usb? (and does it work with xb1 anyway?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

is that hardwired usb? (and does it work with xb1 anyway?)

Think its just the regular black wireless controller bundled with the Windows wireless adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

ibFoxer wrote: »

Had my eye on a 40'' samsung one, Samsung UE40KU6000 it's 529 and bound to drop by xmas I'd say.

Soarer wrote: »
    41k-DErhmAL.jpg.

Lads,

For anyone with the "wide feet" issue, I bought this from Amazon.

As long as your tv has VESA mounting points, you should be good to go.

Obviously it's not as stable as having the wide feet, but it's perfectly adequate at what it does, and it saves having to get new furniture.

Do a search on Amazon for Duronic , they have some amazing mounts. Currently using one of theirs to hold 2 monitors (27'' and a 22'' but they support bigger) it basically bolts to anything like a desk table TV stand etc and is super sturdy and highly adjustable. Way more so than anything wall mounted.

This is the one i use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-Die-Cast-Aluminium-Monitor-Warranty/dp/B00AV70AEI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1477175345&sr=1-1&keywords=duronic

But they have many options for single mounting TV's too without wall mounting that might be a little more stable than the one you linked to.

Had my eye on a 40'' samsung one, Samsung UE40KU6000 it's 529 and bound to drop by xmas I'd say.

I'm only judging it from the online reviews, but it appears that the 60xx series is one to avoid- the 64xx series gets a better recommendation.

Here's a review on rtings http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

Note the 60xx in the EU is the 63xx in the US.

The review here http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku7000 is for the 70xx series, which is the 64xx in the EU.

Anyone considering upgrading, this from Amazon is available at 43" for £349 or 49" for £399, there's an update available that releases HDR over HDMI, seems a bargain- the reviews of buyers on HUKD are pretty good.

Philips 43" down to €499 in Argos, my understanding is that it has had an update to make HDR available- see here

Ultimately, looking over the reviews, the HDR update does add some significant improvements, and as a gaming tv set to game mode with a 29ms response time it's not too bad, but there are probably better options available if you need something for an all rounder.

Above review gives it 4/5, noting that upscaling on TV channels isn't spectacular, and the android os leaves a little to be desired, but overall quite a decent set. CoolBlue has an average of 8.8/10, and PC Advisor reviewed the 55" and gave it a solid 4/5, noting it has a Low Lag HDR Game Mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    I think the KS8000 and KS7000 are different TVs man, and are compared here - http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/137575-samsung-4k-hdr-tv-choices-for-2016-ks9000-ks8000-ks7500-and-ks7000-compared

According to this video, the KS7000 only runs HDR in Movie Mode, not in Game Mode (so that's another thing to watch out for)
    Just an update on this.

The KS7000 has been updated to support HDR in game mode. So basically the KS7000 and KS8000 regardless of U.S or European versions support HDR in game mode.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Philips 43" down to €499 in Argos, my understanding is that it has had an update to make HDR available- see here

Ultimately, looking over the reviews, the HDR update does add some significant improvements, and as a gaming tv set to game mode with a 29ms response time it's not too bad, but there are probably better options available if you need something for an all rounder.

Above review gives it 4/5, noting that upscaling on TV channels isn't spectacular, and the android os leaves a little to be desired, but overall quite a decent set. CoolBlue has an average of 8.8/10, and PC Advisor reviewed the 55" and gave it a solid 4/5, noting it has a Low Lag HDR Game Mode.

The Philips is now down to €479

• Advertisement

This is the TV I bought and I can't rate it highly enough

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5339178.htm

For €499 it's a bargain, 200% worth it

Just came across this on a friends FB page
    http://euronics.ie/product/cello-42-inc-4k-tv-c42250dvb4k2k/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I cant link to the reviews page, but click for further details -

https://www.reevoo.com/p/cello-c42250dvb4k

seems like input lag might be an issue, also, the HDMI format mightn't be up to snuff for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Here's a question;

I was starting to look into the idea of getting a 4K TV sometime next year. I also need to buy a new laptop next year too.

I was on Alienware's site and saw the new Alienware 13 with a QHD OLED screen. I thought to myself, could I kill two birds with one stone here? Does anyone know if the OLED screen on the Alienware 13 is 4K?

With UWP and Xbox streaming, this could be a great setup. I would have the best of both worlds - access to my Xbox through my laptop but also access to Windows games etc too. The new 13 has a GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 and it can be future proofed with the optional Graphics Amplifier.

Right now, we live in a one bed apartment and when I want to game, I takeover the entire living room. I'm also thinking that if I were to buy a 4K standalone TV it would have to be fairly big (55" or so) in order to benefit based on viewing distance. A mobile setup could be key.

Any thoughts?

The 13 is pretty expensive, €2,100 but it comes with 16GB RAM, i7 6700 Quad Core, 2560 x 1440 OLED QHD and 256 SSD. A 4K TV on it's own would be close to that price too (if I was to look at getting a good one).

Could be a winner? Or is it not 4K?

Wait.....it's not HDR compatible is it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Wait.....it's not HDR compatible is it.....

First question I was gonna ask

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

there some amazon warehouse deals on the hisense 43" m3300 for about €330 delivered at the moment

theteal wrote: »
    First question I was gonna ask

I've searched online but can't find if it's HDR. I'll ask Alienware themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I've searched online but can't find if it's HDR. I'll ask Alienware themselves.

The other thing to think about is whether game streaming supports 4k and HDR as well. I haven't seen anything to suggest either way, but it is something to look into.

Advertisement