Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Here's a question;

I was starting to look into the idea of getting a 4K TV sometime next year. I also need to buy a new laptop next year too.

I was on Alienware's site and saw the new Alienware 13 with a QHD OLED screen. I thought to myself, could I kill two birds with one stone here? Does anyone know if the OLED screen on the Alienware 13 is 4K?

With UWP and Xbox streaming, this could be a great setup. I would have the best of both worlds - access to my Xbox through my laptop but also access to Windows games etc too. The new 13 has a GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 and it can be future proofed with the optional Graphics Amplifier.

Right now, we live in a one bed apartment and when I want to game, I takeover the entire living room. I'm also thinking that if I were to buy a 4K standalone TV it would have to be fairly big (55" or so) in order to benefit based on viewing distance. A mobile setup could be key.

Any thoughts?

The 13 is pretty expensive, €2,100 but it comes with 16GB RAM, i7 6700 Quad Core, 2560 x 1440 OLED QHD and 256 SSD. A 4K TV on it's own would be close to that price too (if I was to look at getting a good one).

Could be a winner? Or is it not 4K?

You've basically said "I wanna buy a diesel but I dunno if its a petrol".

QHD = Quad HD = 1440p = 2560x1440. All in your post. 4K is 2160P or 3840x2160. About double.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I'm currently talking to Alienware with their live support.......God they take ages with their replies and the replies are terrible.

Anyways, so far they have said that the OLED screen on the Alienware 13 is not 4K or HDR.

I asked about the UHD screen option on the new Alienware 17. Still waiting for them to respond. Either way, the UHD option is currently not configurable anyway.

I found a Neogaf thread where someone was asking about 4K HDR monitors and they were told to wait until 2017. Not sure if laptops will get this though.

Also, good question about HDR not working over stream.

DANGIT!!

Is there any point in going down the Alienware OLED route with the 13 or UHD route with the 17 if the benefits of HDR gaming will not be met?

I thought I had found a solution where a new gaming laptop could satisfy both problems.

I suppose, the question I'm looking for an answer is; would the benefit of an XBOX One S (and Scorpio) be worth it if played through an Alienware OLED or UHD screen? (probably not?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

ED E wrote: »
    You've basically said "I wanna buy a diesel but I dunno if its a petrol".

QHD = Quad HD = 1440p = 2560x1440. All in your post. 4K is 2160P or 3840x2160. About double.

Ah ok, didn't know that, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

HAs anyone had there xbox one S random flash and have clouding on the screen ?. On there 4K TV.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

HAs anyone had there xbox one S random flash and have clouding on the screen ?. On there 4K TV.

You forgot to add that it happens to your PS4 and mac book too.
    As I said in other thread, common denominator is the TV.

• Advertisement

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LB9LU5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bargin here for anyone looking for Ultra HD Blu Rays there not in stock at the moment on amazon but will be again soon 6 films for 40 pound so less then 50 thats quite a good deal if you ask me,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Got this in an email from Pigsback:

7NPwz
    Highlights

•Akai 4K Ultra HD TV
    •Smart TV
    •3840 x 2160 resolution - 4 times bigger than HD
    •Huge 50" screen for the ultimate viewing experience
    •Wifi built-in
    •A+ Energy Rating
    •3 x HDMI ports, 1 x SCART
    •USB x 1, VGA x 1
    •2 x 10 Watt speakers
    •1 Year Warranty
    •Size: 1134mm (w) x 662 (h) x 47mm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,049 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Got this in an email from Pigsback:

7NPwz

At €550 it seems expensive. They don't even give a model number and there is no mention of HDR support. I don't think I'd take the chance on it if it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Richersounds have the 50" 4k Hisense that has HDR and very good reviews for 549 if you did want something around that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Cheers lads

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    At €550 it seems expensive. They don't even give a model number and there is no mention of HDR support. I don't think I'd take the chance on it if it was me.

This is a little more expensive but ibFoxer has one and never stops singing it's praise.

http://www.checkargos.com/product/5239931

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I reckon 4K and HDR tv's are going to be a minefield for the next year or so as the cheaper sh1te starts to make its way onto the market. whatever people do, makes sure you do plenty research to make sure your set ticks all the boxes in terms of display quality / HDR standard and input lag.

I've decided to hold off till scorpio before I upgrade my tv at this stage, even though I was almost convinced to pull the trigger at one stage or another. I'll probably end up with a better spec tv at the same price point I'm willing to pay, this time next year. The fact that I'd have to buy a One S isn't helping matters either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So I'm going to upgrade my tv in the next few weeks what do you guys reckon I'm going for a 4K with HDR and 40 inch there or thereabouts my budget is pretty low though like 400-500 at a push any recommendations

So I'm going to upgrade my tv in the next few weeks what do you guys reckon I'm going for a 4K with HDR and 40 inch there or thereabouts my budget is pretty low though like 400-500 at a push any recommendations

Look at the 40' of the one I posted above.

Yeah the LG ones are really an attractive purchase , It's just my 1st time buying a proper hd tv the last 2 i had weren't full HD or smart so I don't want to fall into a trap again of having a crap tv for my PS4 and Xbox one

Yeah the LG ones are really an attractive purchase , It's just my 1st time buying a proper hd tv the last 2 i had weren't full HD or smart so I don't want to fall into a trap again of having a crap tv for my PS4 and Xbox one

Most of them are Smart but personally I wouldn't be bothered with the smart features seen as I have plenty of devices that do the smart functionality better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Most of them are Smart but personally I wouldn't be bothered with the smart features seen as I have plenty of devices that do the smart functionality better.

Agreed. The smart functions tend to be crap enough and often they stop updating them after a while. Plugging in a fire stick or android box is a handy way (and cheap) to turn any tv into a smart tv. I definetly would opt for a bigger and better featured non smart tv than a smaller smart tv. Each to his own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

This is a little more expensive but ibFoxer has one and never stops singing it's praise.

http://www.checkargos.com/product/5239931

Yep, i really feel like i got my monies worth, DaveNoCheese also has one of these sets for an even more different opinion which is the same as mine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I can't say anything about the PS4 but i have my Xbox One S hooked up to it and it is fantastic- there aren't any issues i have found- even SD signals are great looking, smart features work really well, and for such a slim TV the sound off it is stellar. I honestly believe you couldn't go wrong with it.

I have a 4k LG i would stay well away from them as I am extremely disappointed with them biggest waste of 1200 euros in my life.

It gives strange flashes, odd sounds, Cloudy blacks, sometimes it won't turn on. When using the TV in 4K mode on my PS4 pro, Xbox one s and MacBook retina. I have been trying to get it fixed for the past week under warranty and power city are refusing to do it more less and it's my fault as well haha

Had a Panasonic 3D TV for 5 years before the LG and I can say is I think the Panasonic was a better TV in every way even with out the 4K.

• Advertisement

I have a 4k LG i would stay well away from them as I am extremely disappointed with them biggest waste of 1200 euros in my life.

It gives strange flashes, odd sounds, Cloudy blacks, sometimes it won't turn on. When using the TV in 4K mode on my PS4 pro, Xbox one s and MacBook retina. I have been trying to get it fixed for the past week under warranty and power city are refusing to do it more less and it's my fault as well haha

Had a Panasonic 3D TV for 5 years before the LG and I can say is I think the Panasonic was a better TV in every way even with out the 4K.

In your case I say you've got a bad panel. Defects happen in every product.

Your problem is where you bought it, if you had bought from Argos I'd say it would have been exchanged straight away for you, and saved you loads of hassle.

In your case I say you've got a bad panel. Defects happen in every product.

Your problem is where you bought it, if you had bought from Argos I'd say it would have been exchanged straight away for you, and saved you loads of hassle.

The same tv was 1550 at the time in argos ;) thats why i went with power city :P. It was cheaper but i am defo getting the cheaper service when it comes to it getting fixed.

So I ended up buying a 49 inch LG 4k smart TV off DID electrical its getting delivered during the week , I'm so excited i've never had anything bigger than a 32 inch

So I ended up buying a 49 inch LG 4k smart TV off DID electrical its getting delivered during the week , I'm so excited i've never had anything bigger than a 32 inch

What model and price if you do t mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

How old? Mention the small class court and they should sort it. If not, put a claim in, you will win

sweetie wrote: »
    How old? Mention the small class court and they should sort it. If not, put a claim in, you will win

They've offered to repair it, he just didn't want to have to drop it into them.

They've offered to repair it, he just didn't want to have to drop it into them.

As said 300km away... And don't drive.

Would have to pay for my own shipping up and back.

I never bought it from the store I bought it online.

As said 300km away... And don't drive.

Would have to pay for my own shipping up and back.

I never bought it from the store I bought it online.

Yeah, you still are the one that needs to get it to them though. SMC is a hiding to no where if they offered to look at it and you refuse.

What model and price if you do t mind me asking?

Yeah no problem man this is the one

http://www.did.ie/lg-49-smart-4k-led-tv-49uh603-prd

• Advertisement

Yeah no problem man this is the one

http://www.did.ie/lg-49-smart-4k-led-tv-49uh603-prd

Seems a very good price. Enjoy it now :)

Advertisement