Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The same tv was 1550 at the time in argos ;) thats why i went with power city :P. It was cheaper but i am defo getting the cheaper service when it comes to it getting fixed.

I seen this on Facebook. Worth a try but it sounds your TV is defective.

Boot your PS4 into safe mode, and set the HDCP to 1.4. I had the same exact problem and was furious when I tried to hook the pro up to our brand new LG 4K HDR. LG is aware of the problem and is supposedly rolling out an update to resolve the issue by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,049 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I seen this on Facebook. Worth a try but it sounds your TV is defective.

Boot your PS4 into safe mode, and set the HDCP to 1.4. I had the same exact problem and was furious when I tried to hook the pro up to our brand new LG 4K HDR. LG is aware of the problem and is supposedly rolling out an update to resolve the issue by the end of the month.

But his is causing problems with the One S and MacBook Pro as well as the PS Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Since then I have worked out its not the Ps4 giveing the issue.

As I done a simple boot up of the tv and its a white screen and a clicking sound for about 20 secs then a few flashes and it turns on or off depends on the day haha.

I also had the grain on screen and I tought it was just the HDmi. So I plugged out the console and still had grain and screen went into the smart apps same thing again grain on screen it's like you know loads of brown dots?.

Basically I think there is something wrong with the circuit board inside the TV and hope it won't be to big of a fix. As there last night I nearly just bought anther new TV as I just won't to be able to play my games haha.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Since then I have worked out its not the Ps4 giveing the issue.

As I done a simple boot up of the tv and its a white screen and a clicking sound for about 20 secs then a few flashes and it turns on or off depends on the day haha.

I also had the grain on screen and I tought it was just the HDmi. So I plugged out the console and still had grain and screen went into the smart apps same thing again grain on screen it's like you know loads of brown dots?.

Basically I think there is something wrong with the circuit board inside the TV and hope it won't be to big of a fix. As there last night I nearly just bought anther new TV as I just won't to be able to play my games haha.

LG just repaired my phone, their customer service is pretty good. Took about a week between sending it off and getting it back.

CatInABox wrote: »
    LG just repaired my phone, their customer service is pretty good. Took about a week between sending it off and getting it back.

I wish i was dealing with LG. As its 4 months out of warranty they said they would love to help me but you have to deal with Power City and not us as they sold it to you they have to deal with it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Sweet jesus Forza Horizon 3 with HDR is unreal. The colours are ridiculously vibrant, especially when driving on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Some others to ponder at a good price point:
    €529 http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/lg-43uh668v-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-43-led-tv/331047/404.0.4
    €549 http://www.harveynorman.ie/sale/lg-43-uhd-tv-43uh661v.html

What is good about these also is that they have an inbuilt Sat tuner, and obviously Saorview, so you have one remote for all the free UK & Ireland channels.

They also support 1 billion colours, so in theory the HDR side should be better than a standard 8bit panel which supports 16million:
    http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/36ae4f1

At €500ish you wont go far wrong.

KCross wrote: »
    They also support 1 billion colours, so in theory the HDR side should be better than a standard 8bit panel which supports 16million:
    http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/36ae4f1

At €500ish you wont go far wrong.
    I'm pretty sure HDR will only work with a 10bit panel anyways. 8bit panels that say they are HDR compatible are spoofing.

Tinie wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure HDR will only work with a 10bit panel anyways. 8bit panels that say they are HDR compatible are spoofing.

Im not an expert so cant say if you are right or wrong on that but the link I gave says it is a 10 bit panel... "10 bit(8 bit +FRC)"... which could be a bit of spoofing too.

Article here which explains some of the 8bit, 10bit stuff and it explains the "8bit +FRC" that is on these two TV's...
    https://hdguru.com/whats-a-10-bit-tv-and-is-it-better/

The LG site itself says those two TV's support "HDR Pro".

Not sure how there is any way to tell really unless you sit two TV's side by side and display the same picture.

Regardless, a Smart 4K TV of that spec from a major manufacturer for around €500 is a reasonable price, I think.

This applies to Xbox One S also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Anyone know of a good deal on a TV stand for a 49 inch my old one won't cut it unfortunately

Im not an expert so cant say if you are right or wrong on that but the link I gave says it is a 10 bit panel... "10 bit(8 bit +FRC)"... which could be a bit of spoofing too.

Article here which explains some of the 8bit, 10bit stuff and it explains the "8bit +FRC" that is on these two TV's...
    https://hdguru.com/whats-a-10-bit-tv-and-is-it-better/

The LG site itself says those two TV's support "HDR Pro".

Not sure how there is any way to tell really unless you sit two TV's side by side and display the same picture.

Regardless, a Smart 4K TV of that spec from a major manufacturer for around €500 is a reasonable price, I think.
    I won't lie, I'm still learning myself about hdr but had never heard of 8bit and FRC. Learn something new every day! In terms of 10bit panels, the Hisense that are about €350 posted in another thread here, are confirmed 10 bit panels and have hdr. Which is an even better deal.

Tinie wrote: »
    I won't lie, I'm still learning myself about hdr but had never heard of 8bit and FRC. Learn something new every day! In terms of 10bit panels, the Hisense that are about €350 posted in another thread here, are confirmed 10 bit panels and have hdr. Which is an even better deal.

What Model of Hisense has that?

The ones I saw in another thread were these ones and they are standard 8bit (if you trust displayspecification.com)
    £350 H43M3000 http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/5e5b5fd
    £549 H55M3300 http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/d1ae5f8

I did find this Hisense which is 10bit bit using the same method as the LG's(8bit+FRC)
    55K321 http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/b781559

I dont think that 55" is €350 though.

A true 10bit panel is still in the thousands as far as I can see. i.e. the High end Sony's etc.
    XD9405 http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/7df341b

The question is, would you notice the difference between a true 10bit and an 8bit+FRC and would it be worth the extra money... I doubt it at todays prices.

What Model of Hisense has that?

The ones I saw in another thread were these ones and they are standard 8bit (if you trust displayspecification.com)
    £350 H43M3000 http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/5e5b5fd
    £549 H55M3300 http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/d1ae5f8

I did find this Hisense which is 10bit bit using the same method as the LG's(8bit+FRC)
    55K321 http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/b781559

I dont think that 55" is €350 though.

A true 10bit panel is still in the thousands as far as I can see. i.e. the High end Sony's etc.
    XD9405 http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/7df341b

The question is, would you notice the difference between a true 10bit and an 8bit+FRC and would it be worth the extra money... I doubt it at todays prices.
    A true 10 bit starts in the Samsung range at the KS7000. 49 inch at just over a thousand.

A true 10 bit starts in the Samsung range at the KS7000. 49 inch at just over a thousand.

Maybe I am putting too much faith on displayspecification but that says it is the same as the LGs(8bit+FRC to give 10bit)

http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/5f42432

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

might i tempt you in the 55inch?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE55KS7000--inch-1080-pixels/dp/B01FWENDSO/ref=sr_1_1/254-2922488-8204750?ie=UTF8&qid=1480417534&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+ks7000

Just to give everyone the news i had the TV repair man out after to look at my broke 4K TV yap i was right its F ucked cant be repaired as costs to much. The CPU is on the way out in it.

He said needs a replacement as a 16 months old TV should have not broke that easy with barely any use. So just waiting now for that power city says on the replacement.

Being honest i hope they let me get a Panasonic again over the LG. As Had a one for 5 years before the LG and never had a issue.

Well now power city have got in touch with me.

There not replacing the TV there repairing it .... Facepam. So there TV repair man tells me you cant fix that and i agree on a replacement while power city says repair it.

Yap i am gone back to power city been 100% shocking yet again.

I am buying the 55 inch KS7000 in 2 weeks.

Looking forward to it. I bought Forza Horizon 3 in Argos today for €30 in preparation for getting the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Well now power city have got in touch with me.

There not replacing the TV there repairing it .... Facepam. So there TV repair man tells me you cant fix that and i agree on a replacement while power city says repair it.

Yap i am gone back to power city been 100% shocking yet again.

Thats daft of them, why send a repair dude for an expert opinion and then ignore it? Repair is one of the options technically available to them, but the repair must be permanent.

• Advertisement

Thats daft of them, why send a repair dude for an expert opinion and then ignore it? Repair is one of the options technically available to them, but the repair must be permanent.

They agreed to a replacement now they are going to repair it..... I just don't know with power city any more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They agreed to a replacement now they are going to repair it..... I just don't know with power city any more.

Powercity have never inspired confidence.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Powercity have never inspired confidence.

Nope not at all i have spoke to live line about them now and it will be on the radio. As i am more then pissed off now at them telling me to my face where giving you a replacement and then saying via email nahh where repairing it !!!!!.

Over 2 week of it now and the TV is broke the repair man seen and comfuarmed the issue and said cant repair it as take to much time and cost to much so i agree on a replacement for you.

Like they wonder why i am angry at them ?. They only reply to there emails if i small claims or joe duffy ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Nope not at all i have spoke to live line about them now and it will be on the radio. As i am more then pissed off now at them telling me to my face where giving you a replacement and then saying via email nahh where repairing it !!!!!.

Over 2 week of it now and the TV is broke the repair man seen and comfuarmed the issue and said cant repair it as take to much time and cost to much so i agree on a replacement for you.

Like they wonder why i am angry at them ?. They only reply to there emails if i small claims or joe duffy ha ha

WI'll you be on liveline tomorrow?

deco nate wrote: »
    WI'll you be on liveline tomorrow?

Not 100% sure they said they will be in touch in the morning for times as they think its crazy that i have been lied to and they have seen the emails and are shocked by them.

Also they say this on there site as well .... Witch is the main reason there bringing me on as there site says 2 years warranty but i had to fight to get covered under it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Not 100% sure they said they will be in touch in the morning for times as they think its crazy that i have been lied to and they have seen the emails and are shocked by them.

Also they say this on there site as well .... Witch is the main reason there bringing me on as there site says 2 years warranty but i had to fight to get covered under it .

Looking forward to hearing them apologise and admitting their mistake, and giving you a brand new TV. :)

deco nate wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing them apologise and admitting their mistake, and giving you a brand new TV. :)

I asked for what needs to be replaced in the TV item by ITEM and they have refused to tell me what there putting into it ?. Like is it fair to wont to know what parts are going into the TV as i think so ?.

I have asked for them to call me all the time and they keep saying they have called me and to voice mail my phone is beside me at all times ....... I asked for proof they change topic.

They keep saying i have refused a repair and i am like have not once only today i have refused when i was told by there repair agent that he was giving me a replacement !!!!.

All i can say is just don't buy stuff from power city. Buy from someone who cares about the customer

I just can't get the horrible red jumper out of my mind.... make it stop :D

?width=476&version=2149546

• Registered Users Posts: 28,049 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I asked for what needs to be replaced in the TV item by ITEM and they have refused to tell me what there putting into it ?. Like is it fair to wont to know what parts are going into the TV as i think so ?.

I have asked for them to call me all the time and they keep saying they have called me and to voice mail my phone is beside me at all times ....... I asked for proof they change topic.

They keep saying i have refused a repair and i am like have not once only today i have refused when i was told by there repair agent that he was giving me a replacement !!!!.

All i can say is just don't buy stuff from power city. Buy from someone who cares about the customer

If your going on the radio tomorrow make bullet points of everything you want to cover so you don't forget anything.

Try not to ramble and stick to the facts. If you get annoyed at anytime take a breath and compose yourself.

Hopefully everything goes your way.

• Advertisement

Thats the plan tonight i am writing up my small claims court letter and going to put everything in bullet points and read off that as that is the facts of the story of what needs to be said.
    Been lied to,
    I was blamed for it brecking,
    Refusing to replay to my emails only replying when i say small claims court or media,
    refusing to give me ans to any of my questions,
    called a lier countless times,
    not going by my consumer rights and having to fight for them,
    I got told i have a issue with power city and to drop it ...... my reply to that one was of course i have a issue i have a broke TV that you wont look at !!!
    Wonting to pay for the TV to be returned,

I could go on and on about it. 2 weeks i been dealing with them over this !!!!!. The issue is the fact they have to put there hand in there pocket !!!.

Advertisement