Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

And remember to be patient with Joe. He might not be very au fait with the whole 4K TV market :D

kIdCp7S.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats the plan tonight i am writing up my small claims court letter and going to put everything in bullet points and read off that as that is the facts of the story of what needs to be said.
    Been lied to,
    I was blamed for it brecking,
    Refusing to replay to my emails only replying when i say small claims court or media,
    refusing to give me ans to any of my questions,
    called a lier countless times,
    not going by my consumer rights and having to fight for them,
    I got told i have a issue with power city and to drop it ...... my reply to that one was of course i have a issue i have a broke TV that you wont look at !!!
    Wonting to pay for the TV to be returned,

I could go on and on about it. 2 weeks i been dealing with them over this !!!!!. The issue is the fact they have to put there hand in there pocket !!!.

Start a power city thread.
    This thread is about 4K and HDR.

Best of luck with it. You are entitled to a repair or replace so I hope your get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,049 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thats the plan tonight i am writing up my small claims court letter and going to put everything in bullet points and read off that as that is the facts of the story of what needs to be said.
    Been lied to,
    I was blamed for it brecking,
    Refusing to replay to my emails only replying when i say small claims court or media,
    refusing to give me ans to any of my questions,
    called a lier countless times,
    not going by my consumer rights and having to fight for them,
    I got told i have a issue with power city and to drop it ...... my reply to that one was of course i have a issue i have a broke TV that you wont look at !!!
    Wonting to pay for the TV to be returned,

I could go on and on about it. 2 weeks i been dealing with them over this !!!!!. The issue is the fact they have to put there hand in there pocket !!!.

Also tell them your super cranky because you couldn't play Xbox :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I was going to move all the posts about TrustedApple's broken TV to the Consumer Issues, but then I found that they've already got a thread there on this exact issue. Rather than destroy that thread by throwing loads of posts from here into it, I'm going to leave the posts here, but any further discussion of this issue should take place in the Consumer Issues thread.

Issue with 4K tv 16 months old.

TrustedApple, good luck with the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

No problem I will keep everyone updated here.

So my advice is don't by a 4K tv from LG and power city.

Buy a Panasonic

• Advertisement

Buy a Panasonic

My LG 4K TV from RicherSounds works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

emmetkenny wrote: »
    My LG 4K TV from RicherSounds works perfectly.

My LG 4K TV from Argos also works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Buy a Panasonic

What about a Samsung?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

My 4k LG is also working awesomely so far , my 1st time getting a tv over 32 inch I got a 49 inch and playing some of the games on it is amazing , playing fifa is like sitting in the stands

Unbelievable picture, bought from DID electrical aswell

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

The best quality mixed with price model right now seems to be the Panasonic Viera DX700B going for about €769 for the 40"

AceyBongos picked one of the Panasonic's up the other day too:

spBTRBi.png?1
    The 50 inch model that Acey bought is on a lightening sale on Amazon for £550 - about 657 Euro.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CEBQSWQ?psc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

The 50 inch model that Acey bought is on a lightening sale on Amazon for £550 - about 657 Euro.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CEBQSWQ?psc=1

Jeeze some price drop from when I posted eh :pac:

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Jeeze some price drop from when I posted eh :pac:

Yeah, crazy. Just shows how quickly 4K will be upon us.

I cant see many people buying 1080p TV sets anymore with these kinds of deals out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Yeah, crazy. Just shows how quickly 4K will be upon us.

I cant see many people buying 1080p TV sets anymore with these kinds of deals out there.

indeed an ok 4k tv can be got for about 400 euro now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

dunworth1 wrote: »
    indeed an ok 4k tv can be got for about 400 euro now

I had thought that 4K hitting the mainstream was two to three years away, but with the prices dropping this fast on good units, I can well imagine that 4K will be a sizeable chunk of the market this time next year.

It's going to be interesting to see what effect PS Pro and the Scorpio have on things as well, because in my opinion, with the difficult of delivering worthwhile 4K content over the internet, the only thing that getting a 4K tv for is gaming. Of course, I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone that hasn't bought a Bluray or DVD in years.

• Yeah, crazy. Just shows how quickly 4K will be upon us.

:/

I paid 850 for it about 2 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

CatInABox wrote: »
    I had thought that 4K hitting the mainstream was two to three years away, but with the prices dropping this fast on good units, I can well imagine that 4K will be a sizeable chunk of the market this time next year.

It's going to be interesting to see what effect PS Pro and the Scorpio have on things as well, because in my opinion, with the difficult of delivering worthwhile 4K content over the internet, the only thing that getting a 4K tv for is gaming. Of course, I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone that hasn't bought a Bluray or DVD in years.

Netflix can stream in 4k on the top tier.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    :/

I paid 850 for it about 2 months ago

Has it been worth the €850 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭dunworth1

prices are dropping at an incredible rate but the widespread adaption of actual 4k content seems to be slow very little movies are even released in 4k bluray from what I can see.

i dont really see the ps pro have much effect as its only 4k content as doesn't have a 4k drive same as the xb1 s (execpt for the 4k drive the s does have one) but depending on what Scorpio actually is that might change things
    but i doubt it unless ms pull off something amazing it wont deliver true 4k
    as my gtx 1080 struggles to pump out 4k.

it shall be an intresting few months

Netflix can stream in 4k on the top tier.

Yeah, and a few others are starting as well now, like amazon and the rest, but I'm talking about the chronic state of broadband outside of a few areas. Netflix and the rest offering 4K content is all well and good, but if you're connection is poor then you're going to be buffering every 5 minutes, or dropping down past dvd quality. The only way around that is to play it offfline on a disk, or download it, and most providers don't do downloads*.

Games on the other hand, are downloaded, installed and always ready to go (barring an update).

*Netflix are bringing it in, but I'm not sure if it applies to 4K content yet.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    prices are dropping at an incredible rate but the widespread adaption of actual 4k content seems to be slow very little movies are even released in 4k bluray from what I can see.

i dont really see the ps pro have much effect as its only 4k content as doesn't have a 4k drive same as the xb1 s (execpt for the 4k drive the s does have one) but depending on what Scorpio actually is that might change things
    but i doubt it unless ms pull off something amazing it wont deliver true 4k
    as my gtx 1080 struggles to pump out 4k.

it shall be an intresting few months

We know it's not "true" 4K, but does the average consumer? I don't think so, nor do I think that they'll they care. So long as it provides a meaningful update over what's available now, then they'll be happy.

Scorpio won't be true 4K either, at least not in AAA games, but I don't think it'll matter too much, again, at least not for the average consumer.

• Advertisement

• emmetkenny wrote: »
    Has it been worth the €850 though?

TV is great

HDR is excellent. Currently play FFXV on the One S (HDR Enabled game)

We know it's not "true" 4K, but does the average consumer? I don't think so, nor do I think that they'll they care. So long as it provides a meaningful update over what's available now, then they'll be happy.

Scorpio won't be true 4K either, at least not in AAA games, but I don't think it'll matter too much, again, at least not for the average consumer.

Scorpio will be true 4K.

It's not that difficult to hit. My 2 year old budget graphics card can run native 4k at 30 FPS. The Scorpio will be running a new graphics architecture that has yet to be released so it will right on the cutting edge.

To the average consumer better picture sells it. Even 1080p contents looks great on decent brand 4K TVs.

I went into a DID the other day and I was suprised to see that the shops TV section was 80% 4K displays and 20% 1080P displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've been looking into it lately as my trusty 8 yr old 32" 720p sammy is starting to show it's age - a bit of weird shadowing going on and some temporary screen burn starting to happen at times.

I had no intention of looking at 4k sets as I didn't think the content was there. Then I saw the prices available and it peaked my interest, also as above there are many more 4k sets on display in shops than HD. Now the issue I'm finding with most of these more affordable models is the SD upscaling and motion processing is "not the best" - like a lot of people I still refuse to pay sky and BT extra for HD on the sports channels. From what I've seen this is a deal breaker at the moment. I've not even looked at gaming input lag - which apparently is a significant issue on the LGs. With all this in mind I would go no lower than the Samsung 7000 series or equivalents and they're fluctuating between £800-£1000+ for a 49"/50" over the last couple of weeks over here.

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on one but that would mean having to upgrade my xb1 to the s (I'd have to, right?) but it pains me throw money on top of a 1 yr old xb1.

Screw it, I'll wait for the telly to properly die or the Scorpio, whichever comes sooner....

theteal wrote: »
    I'm tempted to pull the trigger on one but that would mean having to upgrade my xb1 to the s (I'd have to, right?) but it pains me throw money on top of a 1 yr old xb1.

Screw it, I'll wait for the telly to properly die or the Scorpio, whichever comes sooner....

Technically speaking, you wouldn't have to at all, the Xbox One S doesn't output in 4K for games, so there'll be no visual improvement going from the One to the One S. However, the One S is one of the cheapest and best UHD Bluray players going, so you might want it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Technically speaking, you wouldn't have to at all, the Xbox One S doesn't output in 4K for games, so there'll be no visual improvement going from the One to the One S. However, the One S is one of the cheapest and best UHD Bluray players going, so you might want it for that.

This point is one that confuses me :confused:

I'm pretty certain that there's no Native 4k outputting for games, but there most certainly is upscaling.

All my existing games look great on my One S :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Some games are 4k

The Xbox One S upscales games to 4K resolution and outputs this image to a 4K display.

The original Xbox One does not however if you buy a decent 4K TV it will have its own upscaler that will upscale the image to 4K.

The bottom line is the Xbox One S will scale the image much better than your TV and it's the cheapest ultra high definition Bluray player on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I can't remember the last time I bought/played a DVD let alone never bought/watched a Bluray - being the cheapest UHD Bluray player is a bit lost on me tbh. . .

My old sammy better hold out for another while yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not that difficult to hit. My 2 year old budget graphics card can run native 4k at 30 FPS.

That is a total understatement to be fair! At the moment to play PC games in 4k high-ultra at 30fps you need a €450-500 euro graphics card.

The Xbox Scorpio is looking likely to be somewhere in the ballpark of a GTX1070 (aforementioned 450-500 card).

I have a GTX1080 and even that is not enough for 4K, really, without sacrificing quite a lot of settings.

The average 'budget' graphics card (GTX1050 @ 130) would not be capable of outputting 4k medium settings at 30fps in the latest games.

In BF1 at 4K high settings, to hold a stable 30fps an RX480 is required (a €250 card, definitely not a budget card).

4K is still a very difficult resolution to drive.

• Advertisement

That is a total understatement to be fair! At the moment to play PC games in 4k high-ultra at 30fps you need a €450-500 euro graphics card.

The Xbox Scorpio is looking likely to be somewhere in the ballpark of a GTX1070 (aforementioned 450-500 card).

I have a GTX1080 and even that is not enough for 4K, really, without sacrificing quite a lot of settings.

The average 'budget' graphics card (GTX1050 @ 130) would not be capable of outputting 4k medium settings at 30fps in the latest games.

In BF1 at 4K high settings, to hold a stable 30fps an RX480 is required (a €250 card, definitely not a budget card).

4K is still a very difficult resolution to drive.

The key is in the wording.

It's not that difficult to hit. My 2 year old budget graphics card can run native 4k at 30 FPS.

Also it important to note that the Scorpio is based on AMD tech that hasn't even been released yet so pointing to existing pricing doesn't tell the entire story. You can remember only a year ago how much would a GTX 1080 equivalent would have set us back - about €1200 maybe and now we can get a 1080 for €600+

I own the GTX 1080 & GTX 970.

Here is a GTX 970 running GTAV at 4K.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUnO0c1GEc8
    I can get a 970 for about €180-200 second hand. I know there is no point in doing that now for anyone thats reading this but its just to highlight its capabilities at its price point.

The 970 runs runs Battlefield 1 on high settings at 30-35 FPS at 4K resolution. As a PC enthusiast I understand you want a massive amount of customisable settings with everything cranked up but this is not what is going to happen on a console. We will get great visuals and performance for a console but of course there will be some sacrifices.

Advertisement