Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ah well in fairness, you said 'my 2 year old budget card'. The GTX970 was €350 two years ago, definitely not a budget card, on the contrary it was a high end card! A budget card to me would be a GTX750Ti at that time, or a GTX1050 now.

I only pointed to pricing to show that '4k is not difficult to hit' is not really that accurate a comment. Most XB1 games don't run at 30fps, they try to aim for 30-60fps with dynamic resolution 720/900/1080 or whatever. I would expect Scorpio to be the same, so to aim at 4k 30-60fps is really no easy feat for a mainstream console. Some games are locked at 30 but many, especially FPS, aim for 60fps.

We don't have exact specs right now but indiciations from paper specs point to something very similar to a GTX1070, which would be about right to drive 4k medium-equivalent settings at around 60fps.

I'm not really disagreeing with you at the end of the day and I think that the Scorpio will drive 4K native at decent image levels as you said, but it requires a seriously beefy GPU that will dwarf what's in the XB1 and PS4/PS4 Neo at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

In better news small claims court have took my case after power city "Lost my reg letter and don't know who signed for it" but magically found it once i told them i have lodge my case for the smalls claims court ......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Ah well in fairness, you said 'my 2 year old budget card'. The GTX970 was €350 two years ago, definitely not a budget card, on the contrary it was a high end card! A budget card to me would be a GTX750Ti at that time, or a GTX1050 now.

I only pointed to pricing to show that '4k is not difficult to hit' is not really that accurate a comment. Most XB1 games don't run at 30fps, they try to aim for 30-60fps with dynamic resolution 720/900/1080 or whatever. I would expect Scorpio to be the same, so to aim at 4k 30-60fps is really no easy feat for a mainstream console. Some games are locked at 30 but many, especially FPS, aim for 60fps.

We don't have exact specs right now but indiciations from paper specs point to something very similar to a GTX1070, which would be about right to drive 4k medium-equivalent settings at around 60fps.

I'm not really disagreeing with you at the end of the day and I think that the Scorpio will drive 4K native at decent image levels as you said, but it requires a seriously beefy GPU that will dwarf what's in the XB1 and PS4/PS4 Neo at present.

Scorpio is probably going to cost x2 what the one was. Also do not forget the massive buying power for cards they have, what you pay 500 quid for they can get for 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Fukkit. Bought a 55" Hisense M3300 for the livingroom. Unreal tv for the money!

Can't wait for HDR support in BF1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Scorpio is probably going to cost x2 what the one was.

I really don't think it will. I paid ~€500 for my XB1 at launch with Forza, I'd be surpised if the Scorpio costs more than that considering the price that the One S/PS4 can be bought for now. Price too high and it'll fail.

Spencer said this two days ago:
    When you talk to me about Scorpio, the term I use about the architecture isn’t the six teraflops which is obviously what we’ve announced, it’s balance. Really what it is, is you want a platform that is balanced between memory bandwidth, GPU power, you know, your ability to move memory and [an] amount of memory around in many ways is more inhibiting to the performance of your game than absolute teraflops on any one of the individual pieces, and when we designed Scorpio we really thought about this balanced rig that could come together at a price-point. Like, I want Scorpio to be at a console price-point, I’m not trying to go and compete with a high-end rig. And because we’re building one spec, we’re able to look at the balance between all the components and make sure that it’s something we really hit that matters to consumers and gamers.

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    I really don't think it will. I paid ~€500 for my XB1 at launch with Forza, I'd be surpised if the Scorpio costs more than that considering the price that the One S/PS4 can be bought for now. Price too high and it'll fail.

Spencer said this two days ago:

800 usd, x2 the standard console at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Fukkit. Bought a 55" Hisense M3300 for the livingroom. Unreal tv for the money!

Can't wait for HDR support in BF1 now.

Nice, I have a 55" myself, they are some size screens :D

Any idea when the BF1 is releasing HDR? Been searching for a date, but nada! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

800 usd, x2 the standard console at launch.

You're very confident it'll be that price. I think they're off their heads if they go anything dearer than 450.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I think it can't go higher than €550.

You're very confident it'll be that price. I think they're off their heads if they go anything dearer than 450.

I would not be confident of anything to do with MS a year from launch :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Netflix can stream in 4k on the top tier.

They have a fair amount of HDR content too

CatInABox wrote: »

Distance guide to see if you'll notice resolution difference.

quPcMPt.png

Its a perfectly logical guide...

However, when I look at it all I see is this :eek:

fL1knK9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Picked up a 4K HDR set today. Forza Horizon 3 looks incredible.

Picked up a 4K HDR set today. Forza Horizon 3 looks incredible.

Nice, which TV did you go for?

Should try Gears 4, unreal!

Nice, which TV did you go for?

43" Sony Bravia. Was in two minds but worked loads of OT last month so gave in. Happy i did now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I bought a Sony KD 65XD8599 HDR T.V. a few months ago. I have a long sitting room (20 foot) so 4k isn't notable for everyone watching it. I think the question "will I benefit from a 4k t.v. or will I be too far away from the screen" is a valid question. But one thing I'm only starting to realize now is that everyone in the room benefits from HDR programs. Sky Q don't broadcast in HDR yet but Netflix has a dozen or so movies and television in HDR and the colours are stunning even 20 foot away.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Hi Guys
    Picking up a 4k tv for the one s.

Is there anything i need to look out for when getting one for Gaming?

IS 4K Ultra HD HDR teh norm?

Looking at these two

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202300-ue55ku6020.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab?swapstore=1

http://www.did.ie/pansonic-50-4k-smart-led-tv-tx-50dx700b-prd

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Picking up a 4k tv for the one s.

Is there anything i need to look out for when getting one for Gaming?

IS 4K Ultra HD HDR teh norm?

Looking at these two

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202300-ue55ku6020.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab?swapstore=1

http://www.did.ie/pansonic-50-4k-smart-led-tv-tx-50dx700b-prd

You'll need to make sure that it has a 10bit panel if you're interested in the HDR part as lower than that then HDR doesn't really make any difference on it. Those two are quite cheap for 4K TV's so may only have 8bit panels. I could be wrong though. Google will help.

Edit : Just looked there. Both have 8bit panels.

Handy website for Specs. http://www.displayspecifications.com/en

• Advertisement

Pretty sure youd have to spend well over 1400 to get a 10 bit panel.

Like I said, I picked up a Hisense M3300 4k "HDR" 55", they were going for 650 from Richer Sounds and the quality is astounding.

Cant tell a difference between it and my friends 1300 Sony.

10bit panels feature once you go over the €800 mark. I got a 43" Bravia for €850 and it has a 10bit panel.

I must be thinking 50/55"+ which is what sizes op linked

Interesting stuff guys.

If I can find a 10 bit panel one for aorund 800 I may go for it.

Don't really want to spend much more.

Seems the xbox one s only works on 10 bit though

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

I think you could also look out for slightly cheaper 10bit that consists of "8bit + FRC"

....Frame Rate Control / Temporal Dithering - The other method is Frame-Rate-Control (FRC), also referred to sometimes as temporal dithering. This works by combining four colour frames as a sequence in time, resulting in perceived mixture. In basic terms, it involves flashing between two colour tones rapidly to give the impression of a third tone, not normally available in the palette. This allows a total of 16.2 reproducible million colours in 6-bit TN Film matrices. FRC is also used to enhance the colour depth of 8-bit panels, boosting them from their standard 16.7 million colours to 1.07 billion in the case of "10-bit" panels (8-bit + FRC). There are a number of FRC algorithms which vary in their effectiveness. Sometimes, a twinkling artefact can be seen, particularly in darker shades, which is a side affect of such technologies.

Strangely just looking at one with that

55" Lg €769 in currys

http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/226650b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Pretty sure youd have to spend well over 1400 to get a 10 bit panel.

Like I said, I picked up a Hisense M3300 4k "HDR" 55", they were going for 650 from Richer Sounds and the quality is astounding.

Cant tell a difference between it and my friends 1300 Sony.

I paid 1200 for my 10BIT Panasonic Panel thats 58 inchs.

I seen it side by side with a 10 bit Samsung and there was a huge difference with how much better in my eyes, Girlfriends and fathers eyes that the Panasonic had a better picture on a 4K blu ray in HDR.

And can confirm that both Xbox one S and PS4 pro run it at 4k 10 bit HDR

The only thing is it's how the HDR is implemented in games. I think Uncharted 4 running without HDR looks better than with it on but when I play Forza Horizon 3 it looks amazing with HDR enabled and not as good when it's disabled.

rafi bomb wrote:
    Seems the xbox one s only works on 10 bit though

The Hisense ticks all green on One S 4k settings with the faux 10 bit.

• Advertisement

keep an eye on input lag when looking at potential 4K TV purchases also.

I'd be looking at panel type, panel bit rate, input lag and HDR. Also how HDR and input lag work together.

Advertisement