Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

You need to be careful to watch out for latency with HDR sets and also careful that latency specs are not quoting latency when HDR is off. Especially with cheaper tvs. The reality is to get a TV that fully utilizes this technology while still providing peak performance for gaming you're still looking at a very expensive tv. (E.g. LG OLed).

You need to look at compromises to bring the price down and I agree with miskyboyy that 8 bit with frc is a great compromise if you want a great Tv for an affordable price. There seem to be some great deals out there at the moment.

keep an eye on input lag when looking at potential 4K TV purchases also.

I'd be looking at panel type, panel bit rate, input lag and HDR. Also how HDR and input lag work together.

Ha beat me to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭j14

Looking to buy a Samsung 55KS8000. I take it that it will run 4k content from my One S without issue...am I correct?

j14 wrote: »
    Looking to buy a Samsung 55KS8000. I take it that it will run 4k content from my One S without issue...am I correct?

Yes its fully compatible. And specifically HDR works with game mode on meaning low latency (lag):

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue55ks8000-201609174362.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭j14

qrx wrote:
    Yes its fully compatible. And specifically HDR works with game mode on meaning low latency (lag):

Thanks for that...I never even considered lag as an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Guys thanks for all the great help so far.

This is the one I have found trying to keep in mind all the factors, bearing in mind I don't need top top range. How is this

http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/5727501

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Guys thanks for all the great help so far.

This is the one I have found trying to keep in mind all the factors, bearing in mind I don't need top top range. How is this

http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/5727501

I had the more higher end 770V from LG. It lasted 16 months and it'd boxed up waiting to give back to power city when ever they won't it back.

Power board main board and the TV cracked twice in the 16 months I had it.

Shocking picture on it for 1100 euro TV. I have replaced it with a Panasonic and all I can say is omg the difference between them is crazy.

Buy Samsung or a Panasonic as you won't be sorry

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I had the more higher end 770V from LG. It lasted 16 months and it'd boxed up waiting to give back to power city when ever they won't it back.

Shocking picture on it for 1100 euro TV. I have replaced it with a Panasonic and all I can say is omg the difference between them is crazy.

I think it's fair to say that your experience might be a once off TrustedApple, occasionally electronics are just poorly made straight from the factory, probably down to a bad batch of components rather than a fundamental problem with the manufacturer.

Like what happened with the Xbox One S, a batch of fans in the initial run of the console were bad, creating a load of noise. I wouldn't say all Xbox One Ss are bad, I just got unlucky with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

AV forums.

Best 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TVs under £1600

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

AV forums.
    Best 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TVs under £1600
    Thanks for that!
    Looks like it'll be the KS7000 for me.
    Just under E1K at the moment on richer sounds (49") :o
    Hopefully will have come down a wee bit in a few months when I get the readies together....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

LG 43UH650V/43UH6500 here, couldn't be working any better. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion but i do think it's a bit ott to be getting down on a brand because of one bad experience- if everyone thought that way i'd have never bought another 360 after the first rrod, or another iPhone after the original stopped working until you tapped the screen, or a Turtle Beach headset after the first one literally fell apart in my hands.

The 770v is one of the higher rated sets on Revoo, Currys and is rated very well on Rtings and TechRadar, and a search doesn't reveal any known issues. On the flip side of that, there was a time in the not too distant past that Panasonic wouldn't have been popular (in fact i think circa 2011 there were major issues with Viera's refusing to turn on) but they have upped their game lately. Samsung have always had a good reputation but a lot of their sets are pi$$ poor as far as 4K goes.

Like i say, you are every bit entitled to cast doubt over the set you had, but i am going to offer that it was 1 in 1000, came off the line bad, and you were very unlucky.

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Thanks for that!
    Looks like it'll be the KS7000 for me.
    Just under E1K at the moment on richer sounds (49") :o
    Hopefully will have come down a wee bit in a few months when I get the readies together....
    Just got the 55". Would recommend it. Don't have a one s but it has very nice picture in general. But one niggle to bear in mind, I have my pc plugged into it and whenever it wakes from sleep the TV automatically switches channel to the pc. The TV also picks it up as a new device each time and gives an annoying new device detected notification. I have exhausted all possible setting changes, there doesn't seem to be any solution. I have to disable sleep and get used to fan noise while watching TV :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Buy SamsungSony or a Panasonic as you won't be sorry

Fyp

qrx wrote: »
    Just got the 55". Would recommend it. Don't have a one s but it has very nice picture in general. But one niggle to bear in mind, I have my pc plugged into it and whenever it wakes from sleep the TV automatically switches channel to the pc. The TV also picks it up as a new device each time and gives an annoying new device detected notification. I have exhausted all possible setting changes, there doesn't seem to be any solution. I have to disable sleep and get used to fan noise while watching TV :(

I hope this helps.

us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/Turn-off-auto-detect-HDMI/td-p/2578

Was going to get the KS7000 but reading online there seems to be an issue with the screen coming away as its just glued on?

Was going to get the KS7000 but reading online there seems to be an issue with the screen coming away as its just glued on?
    Check out your local TV store. I laughed when I seen in DID a sticker used on both sides to keep the back panel on at the corners. Not that the back panel was falling off but something happens at the corners that the adhesive fails. It's definitely an issue. It's not the screen coming away entirely. It's just the outer edges at the bottom left and right corner of the screen.

It's annoying but it won't put me off purchasing it. If it occurs I'll just return it. I'll buy it from Richer sounds to make sure I have a good 6 year warranty.

Interesting. Is there no headphone jack either do you know?

Currently have a soundbar going into the headphone jack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭dunworth1

woah that's an issue imagine sitting down and next thing the screen peels off the tv :eek:

dunworth1 wrote: »
    woah that's an issue imagine sitting down and next thing the screen peels off the tv :eek:

It's not the screen that peels. It's the rear panel that seperates from the bezel. Unlike other makes which use proper screws to hold the tv together, samsung thought it would be a good idea to start glueing it's tv's together instead.

I hope this helps.

us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/Turn-off-auto-detect-HDMI/td-p/2578

Thanks I tried that already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I think I read it's only the 60in Ks7000 that is built like that, other sizes are screwed.

Interesting. Is there no headphone jack either do you know?

Currently have a soundbar going into the headphone jack

None that I can see. There is an optical socket. Also can connect to Bluetooth headphones, well that's what the setup menu suggests but I haven't tried it.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's not the screen that peels. It's the rear panel that seperates from the bezel. Unlike other makes which use proper screws to hold the tv together, samsung thought it would be a good idea to start glueing it's tv's together instead.

Crap I missed that one. To be honest, Samsung are not known for solid builds. They're no Sony. The reason I went for this TV is it hits the sweet spot of performance to price. Fingers crossed I got a good one and don't get any issues. But I think you can say that for any TV (bar Sony).

XsApollo wrote: »
    I think I read it's only the 60in Ks7000 that is built like that, other sizes are screwed.

Actually scratch that, it's all sizes :-P

Samsung are probably treating it has one large tablet :D

There is a box for most of the connections also. Looks like they are trying to make the TV as slim as possible. I'd say the wrong adhesive was used for the job.

connections.jpg

The one I seen in DID had a sticker on each lower corner holding the back of the panel to the bezel. Those were the only loose points on the TV. From reports online this is exactly the issue.

Samsung are probably treating it has one large tablet :D

There is a box for most of the connections also. Looks like they are trying to make the TV as slim as possible. I'd say the wrong adhesive was used for the job.

connections.jpg

The one I seen in DID had a sticker on each lower corner holding the back of the panel to the bezel. Those were the only loose points on the TV. From reports online this is exactly the issue.

I find the box great. Only one wire dangling down the back of the TV. Looks very neat and stylish. Also good for access.

Crap I missed that one. To be honest, Samsung are not known for solid builds. They're no Sony. The reason I went for this TV is it hits the sweet spot of performance to price. Fingers crossed I got a good one and don't get any issues. But I think you can say that for any TV (bar Sony).

Panasonic are very good too, just make sure to avoid their entry level 300 ,and 400 series tv's as they are not true Panasonics, instead they are just rebadged vestel units and as a result they are very low quality and not a panasonic design at all.

The 500 series up are all genuine panasonic with excellent build/reliability and very good picture quality.

Samsungs are very good value for money when you take specs into account but as you say they are no sony or indeed panasonic.

Actually scratch that, it's all sizes :-P

You could leave the protective film on to hold it together :) it does wrap tightly around the corners and is not visible. I wish I hadn't pulled mine off now!

You could leave the protective film on to hold it together :) it does wrap tightly around the corners and is not visible. I wish I hadn't pulled mine off now!

Well it's not coming off on mine yet,,,
    But I will in my hole be babysitting it , If it comes off it's going back :-)

• Advertisement

Well it's not coming off on mine yet,,,
    But I will in my hole be babysitting it , If it comes off it's going back :-)

That reminds me, must register for my 5 year warranty. Think it only covers screen burn though. Not sure what recourse you'd have for the bezel coming off.

Advertisement