Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain bike on the road

Options
  • 28-09-2016 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi I am thinking of buying a mountain bike for the winter. Mainly to save my road bike from the bad weather. I might do a bit of off roading when weather is bad. But use the mountain bike on the road during the winter for 50 -60 km spins.I realise it will obviously be slower and harder but would this be good training for the winter or just daft?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Dm1 wrote: »
    Hi I am thinking of buying a mountain bike for the winter. Mainly to save my road bike from the bad weather. I might do a bit of off roading when weather is bad. But use the mountain bike on the road during the winter for 50 -60 km spins.I realise it will obviously be slower and harder but would this be good training for the winter or just daft?

I think the best option for you would be a gravel bike (sure they're all the rage now anyway!) . You can still use it on the road without having to compromise as much as the MTB. But it can also bring you offroad, onto Gravel/fire roads and some MTB trails. More comfort on the road too and more grippier tyres so more traction during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

MTB on the road isn't much fun. I have mountain bikes and a cross bike but would still use my road bike over the winter for road spins. The weather has been pretty good the last few winters and as long as you wash and service the bike regularly you won't have any problems.

That being said, it's nice to have the option to go off-road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I use mine on the road, usually to get to, from and between the forestry where I ride, 70km takes a bit longer than a road bike, especially with trails thrown into the mix, but it also feels like you've done 120km with how much extra energy you're using.

A full on road spin on a MTB would be a killer though, if you use it as a method to get in a long spin, and also do some trails it will feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Mudguards on the road bike will save it from the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A mtb with skinny slicks will be ok on th eroad, but no good off road.
    A mtb with grippy tyres will break your heart going any distance on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

i use a hardtail for commuting(19km e/w 2-3 per week), Specz crosstrail, 38c running as 35c trigger sport, not too lumpy, i think it helps fitness and is more comfortable on the quays / in traffic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to commute on a hardtail MTB; running 1.5" slicks. planning on doing it again soon, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dm1

One of the main reasons I was thinking of using the MTB on the road during the winter was because it's tougher it would make you stronger on the road in the spring. Would this be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

A mtb with skinny slicks will be ok on th eroad, but no good off road.
    A mtb with grippy tyres will break your heart going any distance on the road.

My commute is 8.4 miles each way on a hard-tail across some rather steep hills in South Yorkshire; maybe 50% is on-road, 15% on tarmac off-road routes (not pavements before someone throws a sh1t-fit), and the rest is well & truly off-road through forestry & fields. I run Conti Race-Kings which, whilst having grip, are not exactly super-knobbly either so they're reasonably decent regards rolling resistance whilst able to cope with mud, roots, and rocks.

If you're just planning on cycling on roads, then I'd maybe consider slicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

This is what I use around the Northside Dublin suburbs and off road through St.Annes Park. Keeping the tyre pressures right up to spec also helps to reduce the rolling friction. They are great for ironing out ridges and grooves in the road surface, which would cause problems with a narrow tyre.

http://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tyres/mountainbike-tyres/double-fighter-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

One of the main reasons I was thinking of using the MTB on the road during the winter was because it's tougher it would make you stronger on the road in the spring. Would this be the case?

Not really, you'll just go a bit slower. Which you might say doesn't matter, but if you can cover more ground in a certain time it tends to result in more interesting spins.

A cyclocross bike on the other hand is something everyone should own: barely slower than a road bike, even with knobblies, but also a huge amount of fun off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Mountain bike on the road is great over the winter months. I have rode my 29er on the Midleton 200 and Sean Kelly 160 this year and used it throughout winter both on and off road. It is great in wet and windy conditions as disc brakes give great stopping power and having wide bars offers more stability in windy conditions. If running tubeless, less worries of puncturing also. Go for it, you won't regret it. 29ers are very versatile bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I only recently bought my 29er but have used it quite a bit since on the road for 30-50km spins. Its absolutely fine, more comfortable and not too much slower than a road bike and speed doesn't seem to matter as much. I can see myself using it exclusively over winter, the disk brakes are simply phenomenal in comparison to rim brakes on a road bike and the more upright position makes for a much more relaxed and enjoyable cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Re 29er CEE-JAY-CEE

which bike did you go for ,been looking at Voodoo Bizango from halfrauds as quite good spec for the price plus i could do the scheme thru work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Yes if you are doing group spins which you find too slow on your road bike. Otherwise not really, you'll just go slower

Took my MTB out on some club spins couple of years ago with city jet slicks. Worked well on first one, second one nearly killed me.

So last year went for the happy medium (on occasion when felt spin could be slow) of

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-tourride-city-road-tyre/

on Shimano R501s. Dog heavy in every sense and keeps you nice and sweaty

Advertisement