Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Work at Work

Options
  • 28-09-2016 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Just wondering how common this is. I've been working as a part qualified accountant for the last 2 years. For the most part I'd be busy enough all day but I've noticed that at the end of every month I've very little to do for 3-4 days (sometimes longer if its a 5 week accounting month). These days bore me to tears. My day drags in.

I have a list of monthly tasks I need to work on each month and I usually blast through them fairly quickly, hence the free time. I also try to be proactive and work on some ad hoc projects but that only lasts so long . I regularly go to my boss to let him know I'm out of work and he's always finding me bits and bobs to keep me busy for an hour here and there. At this point it's getting quite frustrating to have to keep going back looking for work.

Does anyone else experience this? If so, how do you deal with it? I'm half thinking of spending some of that spare time either studying for my exams or working on my gfs tax return as I can't keep running back and forth looking for work at the end of each month.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Just wondering how common this is. I've been working as a part qualified accountant for the last 2 years. For the most part I'd be busy enough all day but I've noticed that at the end of every month I've very little to do for 3-4 days (sometimes longer if its a 5 week accounting month). These days bore me to tears. My day drags in.

I have a list of monthly tasks I need to work on each month and I usually blast through them fairly quickly, hence the free time. I also try to be proactive and work on some ad hoc projects but that only lasts so long . I regularly go to my boss to let him know I'm out of work and he's always finding me bits and bobs to keep me busy for an hour here and there. At this point it's getting quite frustrating to have to keep going back looking for work.

Does anyone else experience this? If so, how do you deal with it? I'm half thinking of spending some of that spare time either studying for my exams or working on my gfs tax return as I can't keep running back and forth looking for work at the end of each month.

Enjoy the silence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do an online course or training?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would use the time to study. I used to have a job where all my work would be completed in less than an hour. I was really only there for vanity (the boom years), so all I had to fill my days was online message boards. I very soon got used to that so when I moved into a busy job it was a bit of a shock so do try and use your time productively!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Atomicjuicer0

Genuinely could never understand this complaint.

I've had work flung at me from every angle in life since I could walk.

Where do you get a job like this is what I want to know.

Maybe you should quit so someone who's being burnt out elsewhere could swap with you and then everyone would be happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Genuinely could never understand this complaint.

The main problem is that someone might notice how underutilised you are and figure you might just be dispensable. At least the OP is busy the rest of the month.

OP, you're OK if it's just a few days a month. You need some breathing space in between busy times. If you are productive enough and your boss is happy with you then you're fine. Use the time to do the things you wish you'd had time to do during the month, like clean your cubicle, get a flu shot, read that professional book, get to know the other people where you work, you know the sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

or just surf the net which most of us do when we've a quiet period!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

ongarboy wrote: »
    or just surf the net which most of us do when we've a quiet period!!!;)

Do tell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Work in same industry. Might be an idea to work less days per month, take the last few off.

Works for them, they pay you less. If you can take the paycut, it will give you, maybe 12 x 3=36 extra days off per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Ask the boss if, rather than small amounts of work each month, there is some non-time sensitive project you could work on during those periods.

Someone must have something in the back of their head for something that would be nice to have, if they could find the time to implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the exams are work-related, then it's absolutely OK to use the time for study.

But really, you should try and find some extra tasks for yourself, too, rather than running to the boss for them. Who could you help? What procedures need to be improved? What preparation could you do for future work? Etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement